• 1lolwut?
Reactions: Soen Eber

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Sure would be nice if we could stop advocating assassinations...

Meanwhile,
The U.S. Attorney’s office of the Middle District of Pennsylvania issued a bizarre press release Thursday announcing that it was in the midst of an inquiry into “potential issues” with military ballots cast in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

The fact that feds were looking into the issue — which was described by the DOJ as a “small number of military ballots” that “were discarded” — wasn’t necessarily surprising, former Justice Department officials told TPM.

But publicizing the pending inquiry while selectively releasing details of what it found so far raised the question: Why was the U.S. Attorney’s office running afoul of DOJ policy regarding the announcements of such investigations?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Getting rid of him is simple.

Step 1: Pretend nothing is wrong.
Step 2: Present an opportunity to sign an important agreement while golfing at one of his courses in Dubai.
Step 3: Air Force 1 returns while he's teeing up.
Step 4: Change all the locks and codes.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm telling everyone who buys any of his bullshit "to calm the fuck down"; There are so many reasons he cannot get away with "delaying the election", "getting rid of the ballots", and not counting the votes in the Blue states. .... Really going to be hard to set aside all of that process, including in places where Democrats run the local elections It's NOT going to happen.
Personally, I think you're being naive about just how much has changed in our country over the past four years.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm telling everyone who buys any of his bullshit "to calm the fuck down"; There are so many reasons he cannot get away with "delaying the election", "getting rid of the ballots", and not counting the votes in the Blue states. The voting equipment and process are too widely distributed with both parties having both observers and political officials at the local, county, and state levels. That's how we knew something was seriously off in Florida in 2000 so soon after voting. The overwhelming percentage of votes - between mail-in voting and early voting - will likely be cast and counted before election day (Florida's supervisors of elections count all the ballots as they come into their offices, though no results are posted prior to election day. You can even track your mail ballot, (which oddly enough is just like DJT's "absentee" ballot). You can verify online that it has been received and tabulated. Really going to be hard to set aside all of that process, including in places where Democrats run the local elections It's NOT going to happen.
I hope you're correct, but might it not be prudent to prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best? As I understand it, the Biden campaign and the DNC already have around 250-odd lawyers standing by to litigate contested votes all round the country, and from everything I've read, I don't think I would trust the impartiality of the people running the election process in some states.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I suspect that someone will find a way.
Who the heck wrote this up.. the Blaser R93 system has a reputation of having a breaking firing pin that could even loose one last shot if a case was chambered..

Asides that the idea to fix politics with guns is questionable (it should be a last ditch resort and unlike Hollywood's promise will not favour the shooter).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Tigar

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
Who the heck wrote this up.. the Blaser R93 system has a reputation of having a breaking firing pin that could even loose one last shot if a case was chambered..

Asides that the idea to fix politics with guns is questionable (it should be a last ditch resort and unlike Hollywood's promise will not favour the shooter).
Yes, and I never should have as much as suggested it.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I hope you're correct, but might it not be prudent to prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best? As I understand it, the Biden campaign and the DNC already have around 250-odd lawyers standing by to litigate contested votes all round the country, and from everything I've read, I don't think I would trust the impartiality of the people running the election process in some states.
Democracies have been lost by relying on the belief that "he can't do that" because there are laws and regulations against it. Laws are only a deterrent when people enforce them and we 've seen over and over again that large sections of our current government -- from the Senate to the Department of Justice -- are no longer fighting for the rule of law. A truly stable and reliable democracy is one in which Donald Trump was impeached and removed from office some 2-3 years ago.

The fact that Donald Trump -- despite all his glaring corruption and affinity for our enemy states -- is still in office and running for another term is proof that rule of law is growing increasingly irrelevant to any outcome.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Ammo box is the last resort after the soap box, ballot box, and jury box have been used. Demonstrations are part of the soap box, we are already using that.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
We don't "trust" the impartiality" of anyone involved in this process, and that's the reason we have multiple observers deployed at virtually every precinct, every vote handling,, storage and tabulation facility. The way to avoid all this is for Democrats to get out the word to vote by mail ballot, hand-deliver your ballot, and use the tracking tools to know your ballot has been counted. This even permits you to correct any defects (spellings, signature matches, etc) - or to get out to the early voting sites (mask up and distance, please). When those early votes and early delivered votes are tabulated (that takes moments at our election office), if Biden has already won, there's no deed for drama and no one gives the least shit that Trump doesn't accept it, except his base - currently hovering between 35 and 40%.

Monica Dream

Welcome Year Zero
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
The fact that Donald Trump -- despite all his glaring corruption and affinity for our enemy states -- is still in office and running for another term is proof that rule of law is growing increasingly irrelevant to any outcome.
:qft:

The rule of law only matters when there's the will to actually enforce the law.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
More than enough to disrupt things for the next 4 years or more.

Putin wanted Chaos, we now have Chaos.
The culture wars never end. But, over time, we've won more than lost. We used their own favorite tool/weapon, MONEY, against them to secure marriage equality. They can't undo that without undoing the inheritance rights their own power rests upon. Having a Trump-appointed justice write a SCOTUS decision that extended the discrimination protections (feeble as they may be in practice) to gay and transgender people also illustrates that these battles aren't as easily predicted as many seem to assume. I don't know about you, but I was happily stunned by that decision.

Chaos is in the very nature of our existence and Putin is not the sole source of that. Yes, he's taken advantage of the childish buffoon to do major damage to our alliances. That needs to be rectified, but it may turn out to be a good thing if Germany and the other European allies take more leadership in NATO

danielravennest

SLU Posts
or to get out to the early voting sites (mask up and distance, please).
I had a thought yesterday. I requested my absentee ballot on Sep 1st, and the state site says they issued it Sep 21st, but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. So I started thinking about what if I need to do early voting. I have a lot of folding camp chairs from my days of doing large camping events. So I thought I could bring a bunch with me to give people waiting in line a place to sit. If you end up waiting in line and have the chairs, bring one for yourself, and one for a friend. It will make any long lines easier to bear.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Yeah, we haven't gotten ours yet either, and while there could be some delay due to Sally, it should have been here by now.

The good news is that early voting here is usually not painfully long....

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Yeah, we haven't gotten ours yet either, and while there could be some delay due to Sally, it should have been here by now.

The good news is that early voting here is usually not painfully long....
Early voting might be longer this year. I dropped off my ballot on Friday and there was a longish line. On a random Friday in September. Good part was that the line was a line of cars (well, good that we could sit). Bad part was that it was at the DMV (which is always super busy, at least that specific DMV). Another good part was that I really was just there to drop off in a drop box my mail in ballot, and it was super fast process. At least for me and others dropping off.

Early voting and drop off were same line. Drop off had someone come by, I told them I've a ballot to drop off. Different person came to my car, stamped a receipt, gave me an 'I voted' sticker, then shove a box at me so they never physically touched my envelope. (I've a feeling I might have mentioned all of this at some point somewhere).

Overall point, though, is that early voting line might be longer this year. I don't live in the same county that was mentioned on here, Fairfax county, where people were standing in line for hours (though I used to). I live in the county just south of it (Prince William).

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
For what it is worth (not much in my state), we mailed our votes in earlier this week. Although my vote won't have any direct result on the election, it does count toward the popular vote, which carries some cultural weight and will (hopefully) support the perception of legitimacy for Biden's win.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Roxanne Blue