Delayed Election - the threat has begun

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
We have red states ignoring the best advice on how prevent the spread of a virus that is killing thousands of Americans. They are perfectly capable of closing down their elections in support of Trump.
Honestly it would be darkly hilarious to see states that have heretofore refused to shut down anything, or have been forcing reopening in spite of skyrocketing COVID rates, very suddenly decide the pandemic is so dangerous that polling places have to be closed but nothing else like schools or beaches.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Honestly it would be darkly hilarious to see states that have heretofore refused to shut down anything, or have been forcing reopening in spite of skyrocketing COVID rates, very suddenly decide the pandemic is so dangerous that polling places have to be closed but nothing else like schools or beaches.
That actually fits our current nightmare timeline to a tee. Would they do it? Hell, yes. There is nothing they would stop short at in order to secure this election.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Is a 50% suppressed election where only half the states vote really an election? Such an election would surely re-elect Trump. Its a lose/lose situation all the way around.

That said, I think that martial law with men with guns on the streets can stop an election.
I think you're underestimating the power of the various states to prosecute an election as provided by the Constitution (not Trump) as well as the ground swell of public protest we've already seen against police powers. The VERY worst thing he can do is try to strongarm his way to power. He can try, but the law is against him. Call me naive if you wish, but I don't think the voters would stand for it, either.

All of this media outrage over one tweet just proves the point that he tweets out of thoughtless compulsion, with no forethought or research. He's not going to delay the election now any more than he was going to use nukes back in '17 when N. Korea was all blustery. He might think it, and he doesn't have the self-restraint not to tweet any bullshit that goes through his head (especially if his toadie Stephen whispers it in his ear), but there's an entire world of difference between what's in his malfunctioning brain and the place where the rest of us live, called Reality.

Another day, another ridiculous brain fart from the Farter in Chief.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
The VERY worst thing he can do is try to strongarm his way to power. He can try, but the law is against him. Call me naive if you wish, but I don't think the voters would stand for it, either.
I really really hope you're right. Let's revisit this post in late November so you can say "I told you so." That would be sweet music to hear.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
We have red states ignoring the best advice on how prevent the spread of a virus that is killing thousands of Americans. They are perfectly capable of closing down their elections in support of Trump.
But it's not "best advice" that they hold the elections on November 3. It's a matter of federal law that they have to, unless Congress says otherwise, and the federal courts will presumably, when asked, be prepared to issue injunctions to make that happen.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
But it's not "best advice" that they hold the presidential elections on November 3. It's a matter of federal law...
There are federal laws against emoluments that Trump has ignored. There are federal laws against bribery, corruption, money-laundering, nepotism, security clearance failures, campaign finance looting, and foreign influence. Despite all these documented illegal activities, Trump is still president and attempts to remove him from office were blocked by the GOP. And don't even get me started on William Barr.

Rule of law is being systematically dismantled and/or ignored in this country. Laws are irrelevant if people in power choose to ignore them.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
There are federal laws against emoluments that Trump has ignored. There are federal laws against bribery, corruption, money-laundering, nepotism, security clearance failures, campaign finance looting, and foreign influence. Despite all these documented illegal activities, Trump is still president and attempts to remove him from office were blocked by the GOP. And don't even get me started on William Barr.

Rule of law is being systematically dismantled and/or ignored in this country. Laws are irrelevant if people in power choose to ignore them.
Yes, but neither Trump nor Barr would be involved in the case, to my mind.

It's a matter of federal law that states hold elections as determined by statute. If a state decides -- for whatever reason -- to attempt to ignore its responsibilities in this matter, then the Democratic Party, the ACLU and, I am sure, several other interested parties should have little difficulty in persuading federal judges to direct the various states' governors, attorneys general and whoever else to comply with the law, or else find themselves in contempt of court.

bubblesort

I agree with Cindy, he won't do it. He'll tweet it to get a rise out of people and stay in the news, but he won't actually try to postpone the election.

I'm more concerned about the presidential debates. They might cancel them over corona. Watching two crazy people debate with word salad, and then watching everybody try to argue over who had the best word salad is going to be so entertaining. The prospect of laughing at that circus is the only bright spot in this election cycle.

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Losing the debates might be a benefit.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The same states have largely refused Medicare expansion. But, you know, SOVERENTY1 We may see an Alabexit referendum if that mean old Fed forces an election that Biden wins.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, here is why I don't think that the GOP will shut down elections.

If they do, they completely lose all power.

There will be no house, so it wouldn't be Pelosi who is the Temp President, but it would still be one of the Democrats from the Senate. Because if there is no election? The remain Senators would consist of more Dems, and more importantly, there would be -no- McConnell.

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm all for taking this stuff seriously among ourselves. Over and over again, Trump has proven he has no boundaries - moral, ethical, legal or so on. He also won't just give up the reins. He's going to have to be dragged away.

Meanwhile, I mostly agree with this, that the main way we need to react outwardly is with scorn, mockery and ridicule. He's fought his entire adult life for one thing: to be taken seriously. The moment Trump feels he's slipped out of the cartoon villain guise into something more business-like, then we're in real danger.

Last edited:

bubblesort

I just realized... John Lewis's funeral is happening right now. Obama just finished speaking. He gave a great speech!

I think Trump tweeted about delaying the election right before Obama went on because he was scared that Obama would turn the media cycle against him. This tweet is Trump sucking all the air from the room, to minimize the risk that Obama can hurt him. That's kinda Trump's signature move.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
If a state decides -- for whatever reason -- to attempt to ignore its responsibilities in this matter, then the Democratic Party, the ACLU and, I am sure, several other interested parties should have little difficulty in persuading federal judges to direct the various states' governors, attorneys general and whoever else to comply with the law, or else find themselves in contempt of court.
At one time I would have found that statement to be really reassuring. Less so now. You're still framing this from a paradigm in which rule of law matters, where the judges -- even Republicans ones -- could be trusted to make reasonably sane rulings or for government officials to, even reluctantly, follow a judge's orders.

I'm not as sure as you are that this can't be swept aside. Rule of law exists only as a mutual agreement that more or less everyone accepts, with the few rule-breakers brought to heel by force if necessary. If law enforcement starts choosing sides -- as we've seen in Portland -- a judge's ruling may not carry the weight it once did.