Deep Cleaner (re)Shelved Library Books by Size

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
They did, at least, try to organize. Reminds me of the whiteboards in our office suite that are always covered with project planning and implementation data that hasn't yet been finalized and documented. Our previous custodial group erased them their first day of operation, cleaned them very well, thank you very much. It wasn't critical because we made a habit of taking pictures of them to reference when out of the office. But the crewed blatantly ignored verbal and signage requests and cleaned them anyway, any random night, and we'd have to wholly repopulate the information every time.

• 1Creative
Reactions: Free

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I did wonder how to classify this. My analytic brain doesn't process off-topic as a category. THERE MUST BE A RELATIVE CATEGORY1

hmm, see no option to move thread, some moderator can move this thread to the Off Topic forum please

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
At least is is per shelf, not the entire collection.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I shelve both my physical and e-books by subject, but I have some bookcase shelves reserved for "oversize" volumes, because it is better use for the space. The paperbacks get short shelves for the same reason. In the workshop I alphabetize the many jars of hardware (nails, screws, etc.), then sort by size. Otherwise I'd never find stuff when I need it.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I just had to look it up, and it appears that the most common classification scheme in the UK is Dewey Decimal (can't hardly expect them to use Library of Congress). It is a very granular subject arrangement scheme.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I just had to look it up, and it appears that the most common classification scheme in the UK is Dewey Decimal (can't hardly expect them to use Library of Congress). It is a very granular subject arrangement scheme.
That is most common for most public libraries in the US too. Dewey Decimal only has 1000 classifications. Library of Congress numbering is far more granular. It's what universities use. So the book "How we Spent the Autumn, or Wandering in Brittany" has LC number beginning with:

DCThe double letters for the subclass, French history
611The integral number meaning local history and description of an individual region, etc. of France
.B848The first cutter number for a general work on Brittany.

Browse call numbers: DC 00000611 .B848 .W2 | The Online Books Page

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
hmm, see no option to move thread, some moderator can move this thread to the Off Topic forum please
I think we can let this one go.

• 1Pie
Reactions: Khamon

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
That is most common for most public libraries in the US too. Dewey Decimal only has 1000 classifications. Library of Congress numbering is far more granular. It's what universities use. So the book "How we Spent the Autumn, or Wandering in Brittany" has LC number beginning with:

DCThe double letters for the subclass, French history
611The integral number meaning local history and description of an individual region, etc. of France
.B848The first cutter number for a general work on Brittany.

Browse call numbers: DC 00000611 .B848 .W2 | The Online Books Page
They are just as granular because the Dewey Decimal system uses decimal points after the main classification.

Universities do not universally use LoC. I have seen bloody, bloody battles on this point. It makes the MLA/Chicago Style wars look like a game of cricket.

Jopsy Pendragon

Without Equal Justice, Freedom becomes Tyranny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In 5th grade, I remember hearing the school librarian yelling in profuse outrage, the day we returned from christmas break.

Over the break, the (presumably illiterate) janitor had re-arranged the entire library .. by color. This wall had red books, that one had blue, etc. It was quite a sight. =D

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Most public libraries in the US use the Dewey system too. It's adequate to their needs. The LC system is used by the Library of Congress itself, obviously, but also in large university libraries. To give you an idea of how detailed it is, the subject category tables runs some 40 volumes.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I did wonder how to classify this. My analytic brain doesn't process off-topic as a category. THERE MUST BE A RELATIVE CATEGORY1
it's not any dumber than RVKs section for "textbook series on general physics" ... which get sorted by year of 1st release of 1st released volume (yes if volume 2 was released before volume 1 you have to look at that date)

EDIT: Oh wait - you mean this thread LOL

• 1LOL
Reactions: Khamon

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I found the following:
Univeristy of Waikato: LoC
University of Auckland, Medical School: LoC
University of Auckland, Main Library. Dewey
Any other library I've dealt with: Dewey

I have issues with Dewey in that it doesn't seemed to have aged well.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I found the following:
Univeristy of Waikato: LoC
University of Auckland, Medical School: LoC
University of Auckland, Main Library. Dewey
Any other library I've dealt with: Dewey

I have issues with Dewey in that it doesn't seemed to have aged well.
I made a half hearted attempt to see what US Universities used based on the size of their enrollment. I gave up when I barfed and found out the largest 'University' campus in the country was Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, and the next two largest didn't allow access to their catalogs without a sign in.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Ohio State has about 65,000 students. We use LoC.