DEA Pain Pill Database

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I really do hope that abuse is cracked down on more as I always get dirty looks just for filling my pain pills at my pharmacy. I am 28, I have really bad pain due to muscle spasms and other conditions, so bad that I have to go to the ER if it gets too bad. The people abusing pain killers are making it harder for the people who actually need them. I exercise as much as I can, I do what my doctor tells me, I take over the counter pain killers like ibuprofen when those are enough to make me able to site in a hot bath and not cry in pain, just so I don't have to put any sort of codeine in my body.

But because some ass hats want to abuse pain killers, they are becoming harder and harder to get legitimately. Last time I switched doctors they had to see me go to the ER 3 times for pain just because they did not want to give a 27-year-old at the time pain killers.

It is a really sad reality that I live in when I cannot get access to medications I need to be able to walk without extreme pain because doctors are scared to prescribe my pain pills because of so many people abusing them.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Most new epilepsy meds (which people get moved to if they are like me and the old ones do not work) are scheduled drugs. Not only can I not build up a supply but my doctor can not order more than a single refill and usually I wind up in paperwork limbo each time and part of my slight extra supply gets chipped away at. Oh, and you know that auto-refill thing people get to use with most drugs? Guess what, that is not an option for me.

It is not like these drugs are probably all that useful either. They are basically expensive tranquillisers.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Many of these "ass hats" were prescribed pain killers for pain, just like you, and became addicted through that usage, not because they were looking for a high to begin with. I can understand your frustration, but your anger is misdirected.
That's actually a really good perspective and something I didn't consider.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Eunoli

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
There are also people who can’t get their (originally legitimate) prescription anymore, try an illegal source, and wind up using something contaminated with fentanyl, which can be deadly.

The whole medical system discriminates against people with chronic illnesses of all sorts. At first I thought this was mostly cost cutting insurance companies, but the problem is deeper than that and includes ableism among the doctors themselves. It’s very hard to get adequate diagnosis and care for chronic conditions even with insurance. I don’t think this is well understood outside the disability community. You won’t see this face of the medical machine if you only need occasional acute care.

It seems to be a problem both of money and ideology.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
There are also people who can’t get their (originally legitimate) prescription anymore, try an illegal source, and wind up using something contaminated with fentanyl, which can be deadly.

The whole medical system discriminates against people with chronic illnesses of all sorts. At first I thought this was mostly cost cutting insurance companies, but the problem is deeper than that and includes ableism among the doctors themselves. It’s very hard to get adequate diagnosis and care for chronic conditions even with insurance. I don’t think this is well understood outside the disability community. You won’t see this face of the medical machine if you only need occasional acute care.

It seems to be a problem both of money and ideology.
Yeah, I am sure I am not the first epilepsy patient my neuro has seen who keeps asking about things like THC. We are desperate and all have plenty of war stories about how the standard system has failed us.

My latest one was when my doctor needed me to have 24/7 monitoring to catch a seizure while hooked up to an EEG. We are talking checked in to the hospital with someone in the room watching me all the time and a camera so someone in another room could watch as well. In addition to a nest of wires all over my head. My insurance company wanted to know if I could do it as an outpatient. Yes, you read that right. I guess they would issue me a time machine to use as well? It was finally resolved by my volunteering for a drug study (which involved 2+ months before of recording every seizure I had) that would use the same test.

Perplexingly, AFTER the date scheduled for the test I got a letter from my insurance saying it would be an allowable charge on that date.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Yeah, I am sure I am not the first epilepsy patient my neuro has seen who keeps asking about things like THC. We are desperate and all have plenty of war stories about how the standard system has failed us.

My latest one was when my doctor needed me to have 24/7 monitoring to catch a seizure while hooked up to an EEG. We are talking checked in to the hospital with someone in the room watching me all the time and a camera so someone in another room could watch as well. In addition to a nest of wires all over my head. My insurance company wanted to know if I could do it as an outpatient. Yes, you read that right. I guess they would issue me a time machine to use as well? It was finally resolved by my volunteering for a drug study (which involved 2+ months before of recording every seizure I had) that would use the same test.

Perplexingly, AFTER the date scheduled for the test I got a letter from my insurance saying it would be an allowable charge on that date.
O gosh. What an awful experience. (((Hugs)))

My cardiologist is trying to set me up with a new pulmonologist because the one I had refused to do some requested testing, even though there's good reason to, based on the CT scan. I feel like my progress is stuck in drying cement.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I get that after-the-fact approval for basically every test. I just do the MRI or whatever and they've covered them so far.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
As a side note, our family has had surprisingly good results on some medium level persistent pain that over the counter pills can't touch using CBD creams. It obviously isn't the answer to addiction or to severe pain or pain that you can't reach topically, but I would recommend trying it if you have persistent pain that it can treat.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
As a side note, our family has had surprisingly good results on some medium level persistent pain that over the counter pills can't touch using CBD creams. It obviously isn't the answer to addiction or to severe pain or pain that you can't reach topically, but I would recommend trying it if you have persistent pain that it can treat.
Brain backfire ... I just realized I meant to type CBD rather than THC. Thanks but it is not for pain, it is for seizures, which makes sense since the drugs in use are all sedatives. The problem is most of the information out there is anecdotal, all federal research on it was banned until a few years ago. Even once they formulate something from it it would not be until stage 2 of the trial that data about what dosage to use would even start to be collated.