sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
All those series about corrupted leaders and revolutions ... now even in a spinoff of a fantasy classic. I wonder if future antropologists will look back at our time and see a population deeply unhappy with the status quo.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
All those series about corrupted leaders and revolutions ... now even in a spinoff of a fantasy classic. I wonder if future antropologists will look back at our time and see a population deeply unhappy with the status quo.
Drama is conflict. Hard to write epic conflict into a happy love peacetime governed society.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
It happens from time to time, just look back at the prime time of the 70s with the oil crisis: "I am legend", "The Omega man", "Logan's run", "Colossus: the Forbin project", the original planet of the apes series, "The China syndrome" - the cinemas back then were full of such movies.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I binged the whole 10 episodes over Memorial Day weekend.

I liked it. I wasn't bowled over by much, except maybe the set designs. And improvements in puppetry Henson's crew shows since the original film. And a lot of the camera work. And how a lot of the voice work was dead-on perfect.

I'll say the world and myth building and much of the plot mechanics benefit greatly from the expanded time they had to tell the story. However, and this is a big one for me, it suffers from something I find a lot of Henson efforts do. One moment, you have a major character give an eye-rolling "That's what friends do," straight out of some G-rated script. The next, you're watching a handful of other characters - ones we've spent time with and might have built some emotional attachment to - having their life sucked out of them until they literally explode to death. There's just a lot of these odd shifts of storytelling where they don't seem to know who they're telling the story to.

Beyond that, I felt it was well worth a watching. The Skeksis are given some dimension as a species and as characters. They even find a way of drawing out the Chamberlain with a lot of clever, and a few sympathetic, edges. Again, they make good use of all that extra time vs the film.

Meanwhile, Seladon can get bent, permanently.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Too early to really talk about it yet. All I'll say is it takes a few episodes to really find its stride after which it's a pretty amazing ride. :)

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Just rewatched the original movie and then the first episode. I do appreciate the time to build characters and flesh out the world. And once again, the technical work is excellent. I am prepared for a lot of carnage, knowing that we start the movie with two surviving Gelflings. Helps to build a sense of detachment.

Now just hoping for a renewed Farscape series...

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I just started the series and already I want to bitch-slap Ograh.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon