'Dad stop the burning, I beg you': Horrifying footage reveals badly-burned Kurdish children in Syria

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I was already outraged, but this just sucker punches me in the gut. They're sending professional Turkish soldiers into Syria and they're using tanks and napalm against what is mostly a civilian army. This is how atrocities begin.

Distressing footage emerges of children with 'chemical burns' in Syria

Distressing footage taken at a hospital in Tal Tamr, near the border city of Ras al-Ayn which has seen the heaviest fighting, on Monday shows a boy with deep burns to his entire upper body.

As he is brought into the hospital he can be heard screaming 'Dad stop the burning... I beg you' before medics are able to give him a dose of morphine. He is thought to have spent 12 hours in agony before being treated.

Hamish de-Bretton Gordon, a British chemical weapons expert, said the burns appeared consistent with white phosphorus - a banned chemical weapon which sticks to the skin and burns in contact with moisture, meaning it cannot be put out.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
He thinks the Kurds are happy with his deal which he thinks exists. I guess no one told him Erdogan threw his "tough guy" letter in the garbage. Whatever measures Erdogan is referring to taking will no fit make it clear that donnie's "deal" is so much hot air. Turkey, like the rest of the world, has his number, and he hasn't a clue.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I was already outraged, but this just sucker punches me in the gut. They're sending professional Turkish soldiers into Syria and they're using tanks and napalm against what is mostly a civilian army. This is how atrocities begin.
This is nothing new I am afraid. This conflict spans several decades and started in 1978. It started to calm down when Erdogan really wanted to enter the EU, because the EU demanded it. Now that Erdogan has given up the hope to ever be a member of that club, he's doing again what he wants with them.

From 1984 to 1997 the Turkish army killed around 50.000 Kurds in their war against them, destroyed over 3000 villages and expelled over 3 million Kurds.

Last edited:

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Turkey has a bad history of engaging in genocide. Was their refusal to acknowledge the WWI genocides part of the refusal to admit them to EU?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The negotiations about the entry of the EU have never officially stopped or came to an conclusion. But it is unlikely that given the current state of affairs Turkey is going to be a member soon, because the possible member ship is now officially viewed as unrealistic by the EU.

Most opponents viewed the member ship of a muslim country as problematic due to large cultural differences, also the status of divided Cyprus was a show stopper. The refusal to admit the genocide also might have had some influence on it, too.

The thing is that Turkey was always being treated on double standards: the option to join the club was already back then in the 1960s outlined, but in reality none of the major players in the EU ever wanted to see that happen.

On the other hand Turkey is an important NATO ally, and a buffer for Syrian refugees. So the EU is paying lots of money to Erdogan to keep the Syrian refugees in his country, instead of letting them go to the EU. So this gives Erdogan a lever and bargaining chip over the EU whenever they want to do something which he dislikes.

In previous times in reailty Turkey was governed by its military. The military had points on the agenda, one was to fight Islam and its politic influence. This was in line with the views of the founder of modern Turkey, Kemal Atatürk, who was strong opponent of an Islamic state, banned many muslimic items and influences in Turkey and made it a secular state. Turkey is one of the view states with a muslimic majority which was more or less a democracy, safe guarded by its military. Then came Erdogan, and Erdogan first tried to enter the EU, and he really made first some progress, for example lessening the pressure on the Kurds amongst other things. But when he came to the conclusion that the EU is playing games with him and he'll never enter the club, he turned around 180 degrees and started to appeal to the stricter muslims in his country and scrapped many points which Atatürk implemented to battle Islam. For example in Turkey it was forbidden to wear a veil in universities; Erdogan scrapped that rule. And many others. He also tried to cut down the influence of the military, which was the real power in the state.

You see, back in 2004 when the start of membership negotiations with Turkey became imminent, for example in Germany the conservative parties in their electional campaigns were strictly against Turkey being a full member of the EU. Some supporters of the Turkey member ship back then argued that Turkey right now is on a tipping point - it can either develop more in direction of the West or Islam, and if we don't pull them now over to us we'll might get the opposite, an Islamic theocracy in Europe. While this has not happened yet, the direction now is quite clear and the advocates were right on that. But personally I guess that Turkey back then was still miles away from a member ship anyway.

Instead they wanted to offer them something like EFTA light - an option the Turks would have never really been satisfied with from the beginning.

Or in short a cynical conclusion about the behaviour of the West: the Turkey is a very important NATO ally, due to its size and location. It's just a pity that it is being populated by so many muslims. So they are getting treated like that strange and fugly uncle in your family during christmas dinner no one wants to sit nearby: he's invited just because, but never getting treated like the rest.

And part of the reason why Turkey is like it is today is the EU's fault, because stuff was always delayed instead of speaking the truth.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
In short...... Turkey is mainly Asiatic and does not comply with a lot of European rules, regulations, standards and political culture.
It would be like inviting a hawk to live in the chicken coop. So Europe IMHO rightfully so refused so far to take Turkey in to the EU.
That Turkey is a Muslim country is partly the cause of the differences I mentioned, but not a reason per se to avoid an integration in the EU.

• 1Thanks

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The other point is that Turkey has around 82 million inhabitants, so is almost as big as Germany - just with less GDP.

So the impact of letting in so many people which roughly is an increase of the EU by 1/5 would be felt anywhere.

• 1Thanks

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
In short...... Turkey is mainly Asiatic and does not comply with a lot of European rules, regulations, standards and political culture.
That kinda goes for Hungary as well ... for whatever reason we had no problem letting them in ...

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
When Hungary entered back then 2004 there was no Orban, it's simple as that. The Erdogan from that time also made different politics than the Erdogan from today.

Big part to blame for that is the EU, which behaved like hypocrites during the negotiations with Turkey. They should have never started the process when the wanted outcome was widely know as to keep them out.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Ishina

SL Rez
Trump should be seized and strapped to a chair with his eyes hooked open and be forced to watch footage of dying Kurdish civilians, bloody and ragged and laying in powdered rubble. Then he should be put against a wall and shot alongside Erdogan.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Trump should be seized and strapped to a chair with his eyes hooked open and be forced to watch footage of dying Kurdish civilians, bloody and ragged and laying in powdered rubble. Then he should be put against a wall and shot alongside Erdogan.
I think you could just drop the first part; it wouldn't faze him. He's cold-blooded, like any reptile. Pence, who is supposed to be Christian, might since, but I'm not sure about that either.
Agree about the second part though. And Pence too.