Covid-19 vaccine thread

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
As of this week I'm eligible, but there's nowhere I can get an appointment. Pharmacies are still only allowed to give it to 65+, which I'm not yet.
The state sites are booked up except for the ones hundreds of miles away.
My brother assures me that there will be me vaccine and more locations soon. I hope he's right.
I'm glad he, being a doctor, got his, at least.
The spouse tried asking our insurance and even they don't know why we can't get the vaccine or what's going on.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
As large swaths of the country face snags in COVID-19 vaccine distribution due to crippling snow and ice, some communities in Florida may face snags due to political windstorms from their governor, Ron DeSantis.

DeSantis was criticized this week after the state unveiled plans to open a "pop-up" clinic near Tampa that would offer vaccine doses only to residents in affluent, mostly white, mostly Republican areas of Manatee County. The clinic will vaccinate 3,000 residents of just two ZIP codes in the county, which were reportedly hand-selected by DeSantis and County Commissioner Vanessa Baugh—instead of being selected using the Sunshine State's vaccine lottery system.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I fucking loathe deSatan - still, no sign of being able to get the vaccine. And I'm in a damn red area - I hate to think what people in blue parts of the state are going through. Of course, our mayor has been fighting him, because we're actually pretty big on masking and distancing, and DeSatan overruled him on that.

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
The school district is coordinating clinics for its employees, so I had my first vaccination today. I almost missed it though, because I didn’t receive the email notification and, when they called to ask where I was at the appointed time, the hiring team I’m on was just about to start the first of three Zoom interviews this afternoon. Luckily, they said if I could get there by 4:15, they’d hold it for me. I basically sprinted out of my building the moment we finished the last interview and got there at 4.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
What sucks is, they are all central and southern, and eastern side of the state. But at least it is happening.

I know I'm complaining a lot about this; I do not, for one moment begrudge anyone else getting the vaccine; even if I don't get one, the more people around me with it, the safer I'll be, in theory.

i just know I'm high risk and that more risky behavior I can't avoid is coming up faster than i like, with no sign of a vaccine in my future.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Side-effects that can follow a shot of the Oxford-developed vaccine, which were reported in clinical trials, are also causing logistical problems in its use among medics.

Karl-Dieter Heller, the director of the Herzogin Elisabeth hospital in Braunschweig, told Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper that he had decided to vaccinate his staff only in smaller groups and on Fridays, after 40% of one group called in sick with flu-like symptoms after receiving their jab on a Thursday.

Heller said none of his staff had fallen seriously ill and all were able to return to work on the Monday after.
That was exactly my experience -- the AstraZenenca vaccine left me with a sore arm and feeling fluey (no worse) for a couple of days, but that's normal for the Pfizer vaccine too, I think.

We're advised that it becomes effective after two weeks, reaching full efficiency after the second shot, which we're told to expect 10 to 12 weeks after the first. However, after two weeks there are apparently no reported cases of anyone being hospitalised with Covid-19 symptoms after being vaccinated, and all the people who have tested positive after contracting the virus more than ten days or so after the first shot have been asymptomatic.

So starting to get my life back after next weekend will do for me.

Last edited:

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
So eventually there will be surplus ultra-cold freezers. I wonder what else they can be used for?
I found the title of that piece a little misleading as in the body of the text, it mentions the vaccine can be kept at normal freezer temperatures for up to 2 weeks, thus implying the colder storage is still needed for longer storage durations. Ultra cold storage may well be needed for new mRNA vaccines developed for other viruses in the future.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
One of the things I have to declare is if I'm pregnant. o_O
You don't need to get a pregnancy test, do you?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
So eventually there will be surplus ultra-cold freezers. I wonder what else they can be used for?
Store french fries and frozen snacks?

Over here in NL some snack transport trucks that have adequate deep freezing capacity are leased by the government now to transport vaccines to vaccination stations.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Scientists say clinical trials for ‘variant-proof’ vaccines could start very soon

Scientists are developing a range of second-generation Covid vaccines aimed at expanding protection against the disease.

Candidates include one version that could provide immune defence against many different virus variants, while other researchers are investigating vaccines that would generate responses aimed specifically at blocking transmission of the disease.

Other projects include research into the creation of multiple vaccines that could each tackle different virus strains but would be administered as a single jab in a manner similar to annual flu jabs, which currently combine four vaccines against different strains of the influenza virus.

At present, Covid vaccines are designed to stop infected people becoming seriously ill, to prevent hospitalisations and deaths. It is not known yet how effective they are at blocking viruses passing from person to another.
:airclap: