Covid-19 vaccine thread

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Ah. I thought those charts were supposed to be "global" even though no one said they were.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to not include the J&J in those figures when the information is available. I know one of the reasons the J&J wasn't approved by the UK until recently was because of the blood clots. That doesn't make information unavailable from the US or any other country that has been using it.

What it boils down to is that particular graph doesn't appear to include the information I was looking for. Not that I have been looking for it exhaustively or anything. I just haven't run across it in my meanderings when I have looked.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Ah. I thought those charts were supposed to be "global" even though no one said they were.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to not include the J&J in those figures when the information is available. I know one of the reasons the J&J wasn't approved by the UK until recently was because of the blood clots. That doesn't make information unavailable from the US or any other country that has been using it.

What it boils down to is that particular graph doesn't appear to include the information I was looking for. Not that I have been looking for it exhaustively or anything. I just haven't run across it in my meanderings when I have looked.
Next time I talk to my brother I'll ask him for the latest info here, general statistics and the Delta variant.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: WolfEyes

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Noooooooooooooooo. lol

There isn't any data on the J&J that I see. I didn't get the Pfizer or Astra or Moderna or Biontech or NIAID. There is no second dose with the J&J. Did they lump it all in with one of the others? Or not include it at all? If either is the case it makes those figures absolutely useless for me.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

“I’ve been saying [the] Delta variant could rip through the south this summer, in which case [it] could hit unvaccinated young people pretty hard,” Hotez said on Twitter.

Those lower rates are, in part, tied to political polarization. Donald Trump’s followers listened as he blasted public health measures and workers during his tenure in the White House. Now, white evangelicals, Republicans and people in rural America – all disproportionately likely to identify with Trump – rank among the most likely to say they will “definitely not” get a vaccine.
But lower vaccination rates in some states are also the result of weaker public health infrastructure. People who have put off vaccines, but who are not necessarily opposed to getting one, reported they would be more likely to get a shot if they had time off work, transportation or their state provided financial incentives, Kaiser Family Foundation found.

In turn, America’s uneven vaccination status illustrates another, long-term problem – unvaccinated people may put pressure on the virus to evolve again.

People “who are vaccinated and people who are not vaccinated, the virus could be moving back and forth between those populations,” Pekosz said. In turn, the virus could be evolving to, “get around some of the immunity that is out there in the population”.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

We're shielded from the worst consequences because of our high acceptance of vaccines, though the government have delayed a full easing of restrictions for four weeks because this new strain spreads so fast because vaccines are only really effective against it after the second shot.

Things in the more vaccine-sceptic states are going to turn very bad very fast, I fear.

Paul Elliott, the director of the React programme and chair in epidemiology and public health medicine at Imperial [College London], said: “I think we can take quite a lot of comfort from the fact that when we look in the details, it does appear that there is very, very good protection in the older ages, where there is virtually everyone double vaccinated.

“And in the younger group, under the age of 65, where a much smaller proportion have been vaccinated or double vaccinated, most infections are occurring in the unvaccinated group. And the government has clearly announced that they want to vaccinate all adults in the period between now and 19 July. I think that will make a very big difference and increase the total amount of population immunity.”
The research, which has been published as a pre-print, shows the bulk of infections are among children aged between five and 12, as well as young adults aged between 18 and 24. Infections in these age groups are about five times higher than in over-65s.

The researchers said data showed that the “weakened link” between infection rates and hospital admissions was “well maintained” for over-65s, while “the trends converged below the age of 65 years”.

Last edited:

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Has AZ even applied for approval in the US?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

I'm concerned for the remaining 10%.

Also, what TIMES are these vaccination sites open?

Also, 5 miles is a hella walk to and back. Good on Uber/Lyft. If they operate in your location.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I saw my endocrinologist this week. It was he who said last year that if I got COVID I'd be likely to get very sick. I asked him if the same held true post -jabs., and he said absolutely not. He said it world be like anyone else ; people with the jabs get mild symptoms if they even get it, and if I did get symptoms to call him and he'd put me right on monoclonal antibodies so it didn't get worse..
It was also my first doctor's appointment where no one was masked (because he knew for a fact everyone was vaxxed).After all this time,that felt very strange.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
As far as I can tell, both Wal-mart and Walgreens which I was at recently don't even have signs anymore about mask requirements.

Also, judging by mask use levels, it seems like Illinois must be at 95% vaccinated. I suppose it's sort of self selecting on the audience though since in theory, vaccinated people are more likely to go out.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
As far as I can tell, both Wal-mart and Walgreens which I was at recently don't even have signs anymore about mask requirements.

Also, judging by mask use levels, it seems like Illinois must be at 95% vaccinated. I suppose it's sort of self selecting on the audience though since in theory, vaccinated people are more likely to go out.

That's going to conceal a lot of local variations, though, between different parts of the state.

People really do need the full double dose before they're properly vaccinated against the D variant, which is spreading very rapidly (and is responsible for almost all the new cases in the UK, though with double vaccination we seem to have broken the link between infections and hospitalisation.

That's why we had to postpone reopening for four weeks -- to try to increase the number of younger people who are fully vaccinated.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Myradyl Muse and Noodles

Ryanna Enfield

Kids under 12 still cannot be vaccinated yet, whether or not their parents desperately want them to be vaccinated. So it is infuriating when people talk about percentage of vaccinated as if that means we have reached herd immunity. Specially when they are using one dose to pad that percentage number.

I get that children are more likely to have mild or no symptoms, but children are still dying from Covid and Multi-Inflamatory Syndrome as a result of having Covid. Covid cases are increasing amongst children and they are not immune to long Covid even if they were originally asymptomatic. Now add to that that the Delta variant is highly contagious (see what happened in Australia with the recent Delta variant super-spreader event).

So, self-selection would be great if it just effected Front-Butt Lickers, but that is sadly not the case at all.

For the record, I have a three year old, and our whole family still wears masks everywhere so we can model mask wearing behavior for our kid.