Covid-19 vaccine thread

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Perhaps then billing one of them, e.g. Moderna, as THE vaccine developed under All Hail PresidentTrump’s fast track development campaign will convince them that it’s their patriotic duty to receive it.

Let’s tell them it contains a chip that will wirelessly connect to voting machines and secretly register multiple votes for the candidates they’ve marked on their ballots. They’ll believe that. But remember to not give them water when they’re standing in long lines to serve their redeemer.

Honestly, though, I belong to groups that are still not meeting indoors face-to-face because one or two of these shits refused to be vaccinated. There’s no reasoning with them. Even agreeing with them, and working backward, quickly derails down rabbit holes that would spin Carroll’s head right off his shoulders.
It would have to be Pfizer. Moderna didn't take any money from Operation Warp Speed and made a point of saying so.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Honestly, though, I belong to groups that are still not meeting indoors face-to-face because one or two of these shits refused to be vaccinated. There’s no reasoning with them. Even agreeing with them, and working backward, quickly derails down rabbit holes that would spin Carroll’s head right off his shoulders.
Don't try to reason with them, just exclude them from participation. Kids who don't get vaccinated can't go to public school. People who won't wear a mask can't fly on a plane. Some hospitals are firing employees who won't get vaccinated (with exceptions for people who *can't*, there are always a few of those).

Businesses will find it in their self-interest to require it. Lower health insurance costs, and less liability from an employee who gets sick on the job. Less lost work time.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Among the many theories about the Fall of the Roman Empire that I've heard/read, one is that a big contributor to the Empire's downfall was diminished mental capacity due to the lead piping that the Romans used widely for public and private water supplies. I wonder if the enormous variety of "safe" chemicals to which we expose ourselves is causing massive numbers of us to move to the great extremes of willful ignorance that these anti-vaccine Trump supporters seem to embody.

For example, the greater exposure of farm country residents to pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, vermicides, etc. may have affected sufficiently to make them more susceptible to doubtful logic.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Among the many theories about the Fall of the Roman Empire that I've heard/read, one is that a big contributor to the Empire's downfall was diminished mental capacity due to the lead piping that the Romans used widely for public and private water supplies. I wonder if the enormous variety of "safe" chemicals to which we expose ourselves is causing massive numbers of us to move to the great extremes of willful ignorance that these anti-vaccine Trump supporters seem to embody.

For example, the greater exposure of farm country residents to pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, vermicides, etc. may have affected sufficiently to make them more susceptible to doubtful logic.
A friend of mine once developed a similar theory about deep fried carbohydrates as a staple diet, based on her observation of several county fairs she'd attended in the western part of her state (not saying which).

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Wasn't Pfizer developed in Germany?
Yes. Actually it was also not developed by Pfizer themselves, but a German startup called Biontech. Biontech then teamed up with Pfizer for testing, logistics and sales as well in many areas, because they don't have the necessary plants to scale fast - yet.

Funny thing is the street name of this company's HQ is "An der Goldgrube", which translates to "At the gold mine".

The thing is though nobody had Biontech on their radar for delivering a vaccine; the press as well Trump looked at a company namend Curevac instead. Curevac has not delivered yet on their vaccine, and want to bring it finally in the next months on the market.

Last edited:
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Govi

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Yes. Actually it was also not developed by Pfizer themselves, but a German startup called Biontech. Biontech then teamed up with Pfizer for testing, logistics and sales as well in many areas, because they don't have the necessary plants to scale fast - yet.

Funny thing is the street name of this company's HQ is "An der Goldgrube", which translates to "At the gold mine".
And IIRC the former guy wanted to make it so they had to sell to the US first before the EU or even Germany itself. Needless to say, they did not agree.
He also didn't want to pay when they found out you could get 6 doses out of a vial instead of 5, so they wanted more for the next shipment. One of the many factors that contributed to the vaccine shortage tutus administration had to fix.