Covid-19 vaccine thread

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Makes it sound like Moderna isn't a double dose vaccine.... :p
It sounds life they ("Pfizer elite") don't even know it's also mRNA The fact that Pfizer has more recent figures on its effectiveness and Moderna doesn't (or hasn't made a big deal out if it) is irrelevant I remember my statistics (or sadistics, as I called it) course in college.
My reliable source (my doctor brother) said they're both good; actually, he preferred Moderna (i don't remember the reason). As it happened, that's what I got, but I'd have taken Pfizer, and he wouldn't have dragged me for it. I just wanted one of the mRNAs.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Received a text earlier today from my local health centre inviting me to book an appointment for my second injection, which I did, and it's on Saturday May 1 at 15:40 (detail to help remind me!).

Today I went out for a walk and found myself in the middle of a street market selling art, handicrafts, new age stuff generally and artisanal foods and drinks.

Didn't buy anything -- not really my taste -- but I'll not take that kind of thing for granted again for a long time!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Ten more days until I get my second jab. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I can't wait to be fully vaccinated finally, but I'm apprehensive about the side effects, albeit temporary, if there are any. I only had injection site soreness for a few days with the first one; I'm hoping the second is just as uneventful.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Ten more days until I get my second jab. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I can't wait to be fully vaccinated finally, but I'm apprehensive about the side effects, albeit temporary, if there are any. I only had injection site soreness for a few days with the first one; I'm hoping the second is just as uneventful.
I felt crappy for a day or so, Meh, nothing anywhere near getting the virus.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Had my 2nd yesterday (Saturday). Except for a bit of tightness in my sinuses I felt nothing unusual. If I remember right, in a week I should be at 90% effectiveness, with full effectiveness in two weeks. Then I have to worry about cateract surgery 5/6 & 5/24, and after that job hunting. I'm high risk so I pretty much spent a chunk of savings on staying home and studying JavaScript and C# and stuff.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

The two opposed assumptions of the global response to coronavirus – wealthy countries in the west prioritising vaccines for their own need in one camp, and the argument led by the World Health Organization for global vaccine equality in the other – are also failing to hold as the scale of the crisis in India points to an urgent need to prioritise the response there.
The world’s biggest producer of vaccines, the Serum Institute of India, was supposed to supply doses under the Covax scheme to poorer nations, mostly in Africa. Doses have now been diverted for India’s needs, which is itself has struggled to acquire material for vaccine production from the US.

As a consequence of the crisis, this month India shipped just 1.2m doses abroad compared with 64m in the three months prior.
China, which has heavily pushed its own version of vaccine diplomacy, has already moved to fill that vacuum. Wang Wenbin, a spokesperson for the Chinese foreign ministry, said that “China is willing to provide the necessary support and help” to India, though he did not detail specific information. The UK government is to airlift 495 oxygen concentrators, which can extract oxygen from the air when hospital systems have run out, 120 non-invasive ventilators and 20 manual ventilators to Delhi, with Germany also likely to send an oxygen generator and other aid.

But what India needs immediately is supplies for its vaccine factories, currently held up by US export restrictions, and tools, such as genomic sequencing, to identify and control existing and emerging variants.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
We've already been giving India $4 Billion to cope with the pandemic before Biden's new announcement, although it's probably the usual "buy our stuff for free or reduced prices" to help boost our local economy.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
If it was done under the former guy, you can be sure there was a sizeable catch.
Fake vaccination cards were inevitable, after the more ridiculous things they tried (mask exemption cards).
I can understand them just going with the cards to start in order to get people vaccinated sooner, but there should be something more substantial and harder to fake. Of course, the GQP are squawking loudly about "vaccine passports" so it'll be an uphill slog to combat the fraud (funny how they don't care about combatting real fraud, isn't it?).

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Aribeth Zelin