Covid-19 vaccine thread

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Welp, got my second shot today - felt it this time, but that's okay, I've had worse - heck, I usually have a worse shot once a week....

But now I'm feeling a bit off - which is also not terribly weird for me - I always do when I get a flu shot too.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Both are still better odds than winning the lottery. Sign me up!
It's a bit like when a homeopath friend of mine tried to explain to me that her homeopathic anti-malaria pills, unlike conventional anti-malarials, could have no possible side effects, and I was forced to add "Other than leaving people at a greatly increased risk of catching, and possibly dying from, malaria, you mean."

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I guess in many ways it's to be expected, since white evangelicals are notoriously over-represented among the MAGA faithful, so you've got a very large constituency who are part of the whole MAGA/Q information network, and thus exposed to Christ knows what batshit misinformation, and a lot of them have good reason to distrust scientists anyway, because of their differing views about evolution, geology, chemistry, and I would say the laws of physics and reality itself.

Interesting interview.

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A COVID-19 vaccination site in Colorado closed early on Wednesday after patients experienced adverse reactions to Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot vaccine.

Centura Health, which helps run the community vaccination center at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, said in a statement posted to Twitter that 11 patients who received the vaccine experienced adverse reactions.

Only two of the patients were taken to hospitals for further observation “out of an abundance of caution.”
Centura Health said that the number of people who experienced adverse events equaled 0.62 percent of the over 1,700 people that were vaccinated at the site on Wednesday. The 640 patients who were unable to get vaccinated have been rescheduled to get vaccinated on April 11.

• 1Not Amused
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Also, if anyone hears the 'I can't get the vaccine because allergies [especially from younger idiots who also think they can't breathe while wearing a mask] and you know they do have egg allergies - tell them "Good news, there aren't any food proteins in mRNA vaccines!" and hope they listen.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

"[... ]it is very, very important for everybody to understand that the reduction in these numbers - in hospitalisations and in deaths and infections - has not been achieved by the vaccination programme.

"People don't, I think, appreciate that it's the lockdown that has been overwhelmingly important in delivering this improvement in the pandemic and in the figures that we're seeing.

"And so, yes of course the vaccination programme has helped, but the bulk of the work in reducing the disease has been done by the lockdown.

"So, as we unlock, the result will inevitably be that we will see more infection, sadly we will see more hospitalisation and deaths, and people have just got to understand that."
eta

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Archer

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

If he didn't sound so arrogant and dramatic, he wouldn't be getting dunked on.

Here's one much more reasonable sounding take:

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Article instead of twitter storm on the J&J "pause."

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Food and Drug Administration are recommending that the United States pause the use of Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine over six reported US cases of a "rare and severe" type of blood clot.

The six reported cases were among more than 6.8 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine administered in the United States.
All six cases occurred among women between the ages of 18 and 48, and symptoms occurred 6 to 13 days after vaccination, according to a joint statement on Tuesday from Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the CDC and Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.

"CDC will convene a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on Wednesday to further review these cases and assess their potential significance," the statement said. "FDA will review that analysis as it also investigates these cases. Until that process is complete, we are recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution. This is important, in part, to ensure that the health care provider community is aware of the potential for these adverse events and can plan for proper recognition and management due to the unique treatment required with this type of blood clot."
Johnson & Johnson issued a statement on Tuesday noting that the company has decided to "proactively delay the rollout" of its vaccine in Europe.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka