Coronavirus Updates

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
A new study adds to evidence that the now in many places dominant Corona mutant B.1.1.7, also known as the British mutation, is not only more infectious, but also more deadly than other variants.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
We are now in a race between the mutated virus and vaccinations. Currently it is a dead heat.

Yes, the virus mutates,that's what viruses do. But the stories always makes it sound extra scary.
I'll go with what my brother and my doctor tell me, and they say there's nothing so far the vaccine doesn't work on, at least, the mRNA ones. The protein it goes after its still the same. If it changes enough to matter, they can tweak the vaccine and get boosters out really quickly.
Of course, they have to get the kinks out of the current system of distribution.

“Fortunately, neutralization titers induced by vaccination are high, and even with a 6-fold decrease, serum can still effectively neutralize the virus,” Fauci and 2 NIAID colleagues wrote in a JAMA editorial posted February 11. And, they noted, lower vaccine efficacy in the South African clinical trials could be related to geographic or population differences.
The part I quoted is more or less what my brother told me the last time I texted him in a panic, so I'm resolved not to worry about the variants until I hear otherwise from him or my doctors.
I'm kind of panicked out.

• 1Agree
Reactions: RodeejahUrquan

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

It would seem, though, that they must have been infected shortly before the vaccination, or during the vaccination process, or shortly after the vaccine had time to take effect. From two or three weeks after the first vaccination with AstraZeneca, people seem either immune or, at least, not to become so ill they require hospital treatment.

That's what I was told at the time, I'm sure, when I asked, because that's what I'd read before.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
A Victory for Scientific Pragmatism

An article about using convalescent serum plasma, the pitfalls of overreliance on RCT's and a glancing reference to the poisonous effects of political interference.

One of the authors, Arturo Casadevall, was on TWIV last weekend. TWiV 739: COVID-19 convalescent plasma with Arturo Casadevall

Wide ranging discussion about the sociology of science and research done on convalescent plasma. Interesting guy.

ETA: should have said plasma, not serum.

Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

Fuuuuuu...
"Will be", the article says? It's here, at list according to my therapist. Times I've needed perspective on how I'm feeling she's told me, in general terms of course, the sort of thing she hates from her other patients, and it's what the article says. Even teens.
For me, the pandemic stress melded with the stress from the former guy. I was already stressed, and having all those symptoms.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts