Coronavirus Updates

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

It's a very misleading headline -- it refers to just one component in a far larger campaign.

Thousands of hospital staff will join the drive to vaccinate all adults in England against coronavirus and will be deployed at mass vaccination centres to give the jab to up to 5,000 people a day, NHS officials involved in the plans said.

The NHS intends to use football stadiums, town halls and conference centres in England to inoculate at least 2,000 people each day.

The new facilities will be additional to the 1,560 community-based vaccination centres run by GPs, which will dispense 200 to 500 jabs a day. All the venues will do temperature checks on people before entry allowing space for social distancing and a 15-minute recovery time.
This is in addition to their normal workload, of course, which includes dealing with Covid-19 and all that goes with it -- it is an herculean effort.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Now if only I could get one side of my fam to hold up their social schedule for that. (Ya, UK, but I don't see there would be a tremendous difference in the rest of the commonwealth when it comes to a time frame.)

Sovereignty

SL Rez

The idea that the immune response kills people with COVID-19 seems like last year's news (sigh). After all, the phrase "cytokine storm" has been all the rage, but according to this review of a Chinese study, more evidence for lung damage from neutrophils was found than cytokines.

Going to the original paper, Transcriptional and proteomic insights into the host response in fatal COVID-19 cases
Although patients with severe COVID-19 have been found to have a cytokine storm in peripheral blood and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (6, 10), we found in lung parenchyma a roughly equal number of up- and down-regulated genes that are related to cytokines, chemokines, and their receptors (Dataset S2). Notably, expression of interleukin (IL)-6 was unchanged in the lungs of patients with COVID-19 (SI Appendix, Fig. S1), a finding that raises a question about the potential for anti-IL-6 therapy to help resolve the pulmonary inflammatory process in patients with severe disease.
Note, they distinguish between lung parenchyma and various body fluids. What is lung parenchyma?
Lung parenchyma is the medical term used to describe the actual functioning parts of a human or animal lung.
I can imagine them doing a James Carville impersonation saying, "It's the lung parenchyma, stupid." Those addressed as "stupid" would be all the doctors exclusively focused on cytokines. Of course, they would be far too diplomatic and circumspect about their findings to actually say that.

danielravennest

SLU Posts

It's a very misleading headline -- it refers to just one component in a far larger campaign.

This is in addition to their normal workload, of course, which includes dealing with Covid-19 and all that goes with it -- it is an herculean effort.
You know, if the US offered a free sports ticket for every jab, we might get enough of those red-staters to make a real difference. It's not like live sports attendance is happening anyway, so they aren't out of pocket anything. I mean, Alabama just elected a football coach to the US Senate. They are pretty serious about sports in those areas.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Here in NL the authorities think that it will take at least a year to get everybody vaccinated. And then has to be seen what it did to the virus spreading.
So yeah, back to normal will not happen over night.
But at least when they start to enroll the vaccinations, there will be some new hope that we can leave this pandemic behind us, at some point.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Left out of Covid-19 vaccine planning, Biden advisers developing their own distribution strategy
The Biden team has also been in contact for months with Pfizer as it tries to sort out the sub-zero storage requirements for the company’s vaccine, a transition official said.
Amid cold chain blues, Pfizer looks to powder vaccine formula in 2021
The drugmaker is weighing several options for an improved vaccine that could be ready as early as 2021. "For the COVID-19 disease, I think we'll roll out next year a vaccine in powder format," Pfizer's chief scientist, Mikael Dolsten, told Business Insider Monday.

While Dolsten didn't specify the storage temperature requirements for a powder-form vaccine, the second-generation version "could be just for refrigeration," providing at least "one simplification" over the drugmaker's current version. The first-generation form must be stored frozen at negative 94 degrees Fahrenheit, executives have said.
Pfizer to bypass US government system for COVID vaccine distribution
[The cold chain issue] has led some, including Ding at the Global Health Drug Discovery Institute, to question the benefit of overhauling storage infrastructure with a number of other vaccine candidates seemingly around the corner.

“If there is a protein-based vaccine that could achieve the same effect as an mRNA vaccine does and there’s the need to vaccinate billions of people every year, I’d go for the protein-based shots in the long run."

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Marita and Pamela

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate is 94.5 percent effective, according to early data released by the company in a press release. That’s slightly higher than the efficacy reported by Pfizer and BioNTech; they announced a 90 percent efficacy for their vaccine candidate last week. Both Moderna and Pfizer said they plan to ask the Food and Drug Administration for authorization within a few weeks.

The data still hasn’t been published or reviewed by outside experts. These efficacy readings are higher than many experts were expecting, though. The FDA said it’s looking for vaccines that were at least 50 percent effective.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
Please stay home for Thanksgiving.

I had planned on going to my son's in-laws' house for Thanksgiving. The whole family gathers there for Thanksgiving & Christmas for the last 10 yrs & it's one of the only times I get to see my 2 grand kids even before this virus hit. In my mind I'd gone back & forth as to whether I should go since I'm in a high risk group & none of the rest of the family takes this virus seriously. Yesterday our governor declared statewide (Washington state) restrictions on many things including family get togethers outside your immediate household until at least December 14th. That was the final straw for me so I called up my son & let him know that I wouldn't be there for Thanksgiving. He said he understood & wasn't angry or upset. We'll see what happens between now & Christmas but I'm pretty sure it'll be the same situation.

I wish they'd see the light & take this pandemic more seriously but well... they're Republicans so I'm not gonna argue with them.