VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Not a Confederate statue, but the same issues, and one with a good resolution in sight, I think

Similar conversations are happening in New Hampshire. Elizabeth Dubrelle, the head of education and public programs at the New Hampshire Historical Society, says the group made the conscious decision not to include Duston’s story in the revamped school curriculum.
That is “in part because we don’t think it’s appropriate for kids”, she said. “I think it’s way too violent. No matter whose side you take, or what you think about it, I just don’t think it’s a good story for kids.:
I'm guessing her "think of the children" argument goes no further than those that have the same pigmentation as her?

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I found this Guardian article, which led me to the longer one on the BBC site, really interesting -- how do you curate historic buildings when so much of their history is tied up with slavery and colonialism?

Since my ex was Indian (via Uganda) I've always been quite aware of this -- when we visited many National Trust properties, or exhibitions at the V&A or elsewhere, we were always very aware of the history of a lot of the items on display.

I've never seen history, whether it's that of my country or anything else, as something of which to be proud or ashamed, but as something to be understood, but the way politicians and the tabloid press talk about history often makes that very difficult.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

A conditional caution, which is what they've apparently been offered, is almost the lowest level criminal disposal there is -- it means they accept they committed a criminal offence (which they did, criminal damage) for which they'll have criminal records, and for which they receive a token punishment, but no court appearance is involved.

If they do opt to go to court, they're looking at a far more severe penalty (but not the 10 years minimum in a federal prison that the cheese-coloured hobgoblin in chief would like to see for similar protests in the US).

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
As a historian, the fact that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves and exclaimed liberty is one of the most important aspects of the founding of this country. When I taught University courses in American history, the main theme that I used throughout was the aspirational lines of the Declaration of Independence about equality and our struggle to live up to those ideals. Spoiler: we have never fully done so.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
His biggest statue is only 60' but he's an elephant so it's probably bigger by volume.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Pretty good news:

Of course, they had to gay it all up by adding a God reference.
Well, the design is appropriate for Mississippi. Red for the rednecks, black for the black people, cotton for the black people to pick, and gold for the rich people who keep them divided so they can't work together.

Zaida Gearbox

• 1LOL
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This makes interesting reading.

It's about a specifically British topic, but its general considerations about how conservative politicians create artificial moral panics, or try to, about how history is presented, and how the media encourages them in this, are also valid elsewhere

The report:

Last edited: