Confederate flag/statue banning thread

Nostrildamus

Here's the problem with tearing down statues that even i don't necessarily like: We fought a war here in the US in the 1860s where 600,000+ people died and we resolved the issue of slavery and sorted this all out. That people are tearing down monuments shows we're destined to learn the lessons all over again because they've been forgotten. This was all sorted out and it doesn't require the millenials to reinvent the wheel. Just because it was a long time ago doesn't mean it isn't important for us today.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If anything, millenials are simply refining the wheel by making it less racist.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
1. Libraries, battleground memorials, and museums still exist. This isn’t ancient Egypt. We don’t require statues to record history.

2. Most of these statutes (just like in ancient times) are about reframing history, so they serve propaganda or ahistorical purposes.
Most of these monuments did not go up immediately after the war’s end in 1865. During that time, commemorative markers of the Civil War tended to be memorials that mourned soldiers who had died, says Mark Elliott, a history professor at University of North Carolina, Greensboro.

“The vast majority of them were built between the 1890s and 1950s, which matches up exactly with the era of Jim Crow segregation.” According to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s research, the biggest spike was between 1900 and the 1920s.

In contrast to the earlier memorials that mourned dead soldiers, these monuments tended to glorify leaders of the Confederacy like General Robert E. Lee, former President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis and General “Thomas Stonewall” Jackson.

“All of those monuments were there to teach values to people,” Elliott says. “That’s why they put them in the city squares. That’s why they put them in front of state buildings.” Many earlier memorials had instead been placed in cemeteries.

The values these monuments stood for, he says, included a “glorification of the cause of the Civil War.”
- Source

Don't worry, I know trolls don’t give a shit about facts or intellectually honest debate. I just post these things so others know how to refute this lying bullshit when other chucklefucks mouth it.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Be informed at least that the history of the democrat party in the U.S. is that they were the slaveholders who fought the Civil War to preserve this institution. We fought a war where 600k+ died to sort this out in the 1860s. Almost all KKK members were democrats, almost all slaveholders were democrats, and all Confederates were democrats. Democrats are responsible for the Jim Crow Laws, opposing the civil rights movement until the late 60's and the vast majority of racism in this country until recent times when its vastly reduced. Abraham Lincoln, the man who freed the slaves, was the founder of the Republican party.
Lincoln was not the founder of the Republican party. A coalition of Whigs, Free-Soilers, Democrats and others founded the Republican party. While its founding pulled Lincoln back into politics, while he is one of the early party members, and while he is the first Republican candidate for president who won, he was not one of the founders, nor was he the first Republican candidate for president. First candidate was John C. Fremont, who received 33.1% of the vote, while third place finisher and former president Millard Filmore received 21.5% of the vote. The winner, Buchanan received 45.3% of the vote. The founders were such individuals like Horace Greeley, Salmon Chase and Charles Sumner. Sumner is that Senator who was savagely beaten on the Senate floor for giving an anti-slavery speech in 1856. Greeley was a newspaper editor and publisher (and, briefly, a member of the House of Representatives). Chase became the sixth Chief Justice of the US.

KKK was all Democrat because it was formed from resentful ex confederate southerners who were all democrats, this is american history where i come from, i'm a yankee, name a single republican who owned slaves. By the way I like to remind my European friends who brought the slave to north america, as long as we were a nation every effort was made to get rid of the institution.
Your comments read like they were lifted from a tweet by Larry Elder. Who said what you said about Republicans and being slave owners, then changed it to 'at least 10 owned slaves'. Including Francis Preston Blair and Benjamin Burton. Blair is also one of the founders of the Republican party. Though it took him until 1862 to sell his last slave. Burton's obit mentions that he became a Republican at the start of the Civil War, though "he was a large slave holder".

Francis Preston Blair - Wikipedia
Benjamin Burton Slaveowner obit - Newspapers.com

And, as mentioned, USS Grant was a slave holder. Briefly. (I think it was briefly).

ELDER: Checking up on fact checkers at PolitiFact

So there's three. I do not know if Grant was one of Elder's '10 Republicans'.

Last edited:

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
KKK was all Democrat because it was formed from resentful ex confederate southerners who were all democrats, this is american history where i come from, i'm a yankee, name a single republican who owned slaves. By the way I like to remind my European friends who brought the slave to north america, as long as we were a nation every effort was made to get rid of the institution.
Since you seem to have slept during the "Southern Strategy" portion of our history class, allow me:

Southern strategy - Wikipedia

And that, sir, is when Nixon and Goldwater decided it would benefit the Repubs to foment more racial tension in the south and abandon their civil rights stance in order to gain more white supporters. It was at around that watershed moment when the two parties exchanged positions. The Republicans of today are no longer the "Party of Lincoln", nor are the Democrats the party of the KKK. Everything changed in the 1950s-1960s.

It would be great if you tried to keep up and leave the worn-out old tropes on the side of the road.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Since you seem to have slept during the "Southern Strategy" portion of our history class, allow me:

Southern strategy - Wikipedia

And that, sir, is when Nixon and Goldwater decided it would benefit the Repubs to foment more racial tension in the south and abandon their civil rights stance in order to gain more white supporters. It was at around that watershed moment when the two parties exchanged positions. The Republicans of today are no longer the "Party of Lincoln", nor are the Democrats the party of the KKK. Everything changed in the 1950s-1960s.

It would be great if you tried to keep up and leave the worn-out old tropes on the side of the road.
Cindy, if Nostrilhairus didn't get it by like, three posts ago, he ain't gonna. Maybe because he don't wanna. Maybe because he's used to living in a fact-free zone. Or all of the above.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Cindy, if Nostrilhairus didn't get it by like, three posts ago, he ain't gonna. Maybe because he don't wanna. Maybe because he's used to living in a fact-free zone. Or all of the above.
I know. I don't really care about his response. But, I do have an allegiance to the facts and felt I needed to restate them clearly.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
I know. I don't really care about his response. But, I do have an allegiance to the facts and felt I needed to restate them clearly.
For we who suffer from “some fucking muppet is wrong on the internet” disease there is no cure.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
That's the problem with a racist piece of shit trying to sound intellectual.

None of them are that bright. And it's sort of painful to watch them try.
I love how they try and clutch peals about language while there‘re all “hey, black people are just more violent” as if that isn’t raw sewage spewing from their mouth holes.