Confederate flag/statue banning thread

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

It's now been removed, and is waiting to be either collected by the artist or donated to the local museum

Black Lives Matter sculpture of Jen Reid removed from Colston plinth
One could also make the point that female artists are rarely afforded the same abilities as male ones [as someone who studyied sculpting in college, I've yet to be able to afford to do anything on this scale; instead I'm limited to polymer clays or soft fibres that are in range of my budget....]

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
One could also make the point that female artists are rarely afforded the same abilities as male ones [as someone who studyied sculpting in college, I've yet to be able to afford to do anything on this scale; instead I'm limited to polymer clays or soft fibres that are in range of my budget....]
Do you have a website with your works?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Do you have a website with your works?
Well, I've a webpage with some of my felted stuff and jewelry. Not that I'm nominating myself, I haven't worked with bronze since college. www.foxscalesjewelry.com though, if you want to see a felted hand, tree and bunnies [the tree and hand are for displaying jewelry], because that's all I've gotten around to taking pictures of because covid....

• 1Love
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I get that comedy can get lost in a thread like this, but...
Hey, I'm for a full Cromwell on that guy. Drawing, quartering, burying the head, hands, and feet separately, the whole works. What's wrong with him can't be fixed with a pill or counselling, he's that way because he chose it.

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
DING DING DING!

The Pentagon on Friday unveiled a new policy that effectively bans the display of the Confederate flag — without actually naming it.

The policy, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO ahead of the official rollout, reflects an effort to find a compromise on the divisive issue, as Defense Secretary Mark Esper strives to satisfy military leaders without irking President Donald Trump, who has criticized NASCAR for banning the flag.

A draft version of the policy reportedly explicitly banned the Confederate flag on Defense Department property. Yet the official language simply lists the types of flags that are allowed to be displayed, including the American flag; the flags of the U.S. states, territories and the District of Columbia; military flags and those of allies.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Though I did think of putting it in the other thread because
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot ordered the removal of a statue of Christopher Columbus from the city’s Grant Park in the middle of the night to avoid a confrontation between police and protesters, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, in Pensacola, we were actually Union most of the war [ its a fascinating story, but a bit convoluted]. After the war, the Gov of Florida ordered, against the will of the locals, a monument to the Confederate Dead, topped by a statue. IIRC, the statue has been taken down and the monument itself is being moved to a cemetary.

And regardless of anything else, most rank and file soldiers are just following orders; and in this case, think a whole lot of poor people were manipulated into dying for a cause that didn't care about them at all [and that's nothing new].

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

When reached by WSFA, Dismukes reiterated that he had not been thinking about Lewis’s death at the time or the connection between Forrest and the KKK. But the lawmaker — who is a chaplain for the Prattville Dragoons, a chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans — attributed the intense blowback he’s facing to “anti-Southern sentiment” amid the country’s ongoing racial reckoning.

“I guess, with the anti-Southern sentiment and all, and the things that we have going on in the world today, there’s a lot of people that are seeming to be more and more offended,” he told the news station. “We live in a time where we literally are going through cancel culture from all different areas and people are even more sensitive on different issues and different subjects. This was just one of those times that it didn’t quite go the way I expected, and I never intended to bring hurt to anyone, especially my own family with everything that’s been said.”
Siri, what is Backpfeifengesicht ?

• 1Screwdriver
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
>> Rep. Will Dismukes (R-Prattville)

If I made up this guy for a story, who could find him believable?

• 1Agree

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Very interesting and thoughtful piece in the London Review of Books.

It's about British attitudes to Britain's imperial and colonial history, but I think the arguments and analysis apply equally to the US and slavery.

The problem right now – exacerbated by the circumstances of the pandemic – is that when the past is the object of political conflict, the result is a tribunal convened to determine, once again, a binary question: guilt or innocence. Where the study of history might seek to discover, explain and understand, possibly to facilitate judgment, our current moment demands decision first, study later (if at all). Many conservatives imagine that when the British Empire and colonialism are taught in schools, it’s in order to spread shame or seek revenge, not because they are central features of the political, economic and social history of the past five hundred years. No doubt there are some activists, maybe even some scholars, whose primary relationship to this material is a passion for condemnation, but to abandon such an opportunity for public education on those grounds represents a terrible loss of nerve. What Britain sorely needs is not self-love, or self-hatred, but self-knowledge.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Tirellia