Cloudflare Dumps 8chan

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Some detailed history here, by a reporter who seems to have researched both the background of the site, and developments since Cloudfire sacked them as customers:

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
They should just skip right to 88chan and drop the facade entirely.
There were a lot of "chan" style boards back in the day, and NChan, where N indicates a number, was by some margin, the prefered naming scheme. 420Chan for example, really did exist and was dedicated to exactly the subject you'd expect. I would be surprised if 88Chan isn't already, or at least once was, an actual thing.

• 1Thanks

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Some detailed history here, by a reporter who seems to have researched both the background of the site, and developments since Cloudfire sacked them as customers:

I wondered about the limits of free speech that exist in the Phillipines, as compared to other countries.

According to this:

Unprotected speech:

Freedom of speech is not an absolute right. Speech that incites lawless conduct, so-called fighting words (words that provoke physical retaliation) libelous or defamatory speech, and obscenity can legitimately be prohibited or punished by the government
There are a number of things that make it all interesting (the fact that it's not traditional broadcast or print media, I couldn't find anything in reference to websites), the government of the Phillipines (Duterte), and whether or not their particular constitution has any bearing on this website, or if it would have legal standing and of course the owner could say that it's not his speech but that of his users, from all across the world.

Anyhow, just some things running about my head in reference to this website.

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
On a side note: the name "8chan" is revealing and stupid in so many ways.

1. Nazis are cowards. They picked a name that hides the nature of their site.
2. Nazis have no sense of irony. This is the "English-only" crowd and the name has a Japanese loan word in it.
3. Nazis are trolls. Their displays of concern are always fake - if you need proof, just look at how their issues with murder and mayhem disappear once one of them goes on a killing spree.
4. Nazis are parasites. This is a group that's obsessed with "Übermenschen" and "Untermenschen", and yet they're the ones who are infesting communities like reddit and social networks. The "'-chan" suffix is just something they can piggyback on.
Of course nazis are cowards, that’s obvious. But it does bear repeating.

I always thought that “chan “ was short for “channel “.

• 1Like

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
From what I remember (only seeing the LGBT boards for the most part) 4chan was a huge place. A friend tried to get me to use it but after deciding the moderation policy was not my cup of tea I just wandered off.
Well I'm definitely glad you wandered to here, instead of those other places.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Well I'm definitely glad you wandered to here, instead of those other places.
Same here. Now though I wind up disagreeing with the moderation at most places (although not the moderators, I have done that and it was no fun) as a lot of places do 'if you drift on topic it is a no-no'. Even if you were replying to someone who replied to someone who replied to the original person to go off topic.

Earlier I replied to an official thread where a company was trying to generate hype for an upcoming event. A mod there locked the thread for some unknown reason after my post. It was probably a coincidence but I wound up reading and rereading my post to see if there was some way it could be interpreted as sending bad karma or something.

• 1Agree

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
4chan is not all bad any more than Reddit or Twitter is all bad. 4chan is not all /pol/ and /b/.
4chan is not all /pol/ and /b/ ...but /pol/ and /b/ are both all over 4chan.

Twitter's just as fucked, I agree. At least with Reddit you can find sanely moderated places that don't put up with trolling bullshit.

• 1Thanks

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If anything the mods are a bit overzealous there. From what I remember the game of constantly going OT here would not fly on 4C unless you really wanted a ban. Which is probably why I ducked in and decided it did not feel like a good place to be.
I disagree -granted I haven't really read /co/ etc for around 5 years or so at this point -but back when I was reading there (and occasoinally browsing other boards like /tv/ or whatever) the pol humor and injokes (not just memes, but also memes) were all over.

I can live with folks being strict about topic drift; the constant racism, homophobia and anti-semitism isn't worth dealing with. Especially when it's casually used, not just in flames, but regular conversation.

Fuck that noise.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
I always thought that “chan “ was short for “channel “.
That's also true, but double-meanings are "edgy".

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Ah, my mistake. I was going over some old notes and it was SomethingAwful I was on briefly, not 4chan. I got them mixed up because 4chan was the people who were booted from SA.

Arkady Arkright

Of course nazis are cowards, that’s obvious. But it does bear repeating.
Hmm.... Perhaps not always the case - the Panzer SS may have been vile murdering scumbags, but I'm not sure the word 'coward' is always correct in their case. OTOH, the modern day 'internet nazi' undoubtedly is a coward and a bully (and not particularly bright either).

eta: I suspect I may have let myself in for a shitstorm here... o_O

Last edited:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I take your point, Arkady -- it would be hard to deny that many were fierce fighters.

I'd argue, though, that cowardice was still lurking underneath it all. At least, that seems to be at the root of all the right-wing frothing on both sides of the Atlantic. I've been saying it for years -- bluntly put, right-wingers are a bunch of pussies, afraid of their own shadows.

My gosh, I don't need to look farther than my own brother. He's been a cop in a tiny, tiny town for years. This place is so tiny, he once called me all excited because, "I got to do an actual investigation!" Basically, his job is to round up the Friday and Saturday night drunks, respond to the very occasional car wreck, do some rather desultory traffic patrolling, and help bust the local meth dealer every time he gets out of prison. (The dealer is not what you'd call a criminal mastermind.) Yet he spends his days glued to Fox news and some channel that features nothing but disasters and conspiracy crap and fretting over "prowlers" taking his stuff. (Which -- well, frankly, being a cop in a tiny, tiny town doesn't really leave you with a lot of thief-baiting luxury goods laying around. What the hell does he think they're going to steal? The cat boxes?)

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yet he spends his days glued to Fox news and some channel that features nothing but disasters and conspiracy crap and fretting over "prowlers" taking his stuff. (Which -- well, frankly, being a cop in a tiny, tiny town doesn't really leave you with a lot of thief-baiting luxury goods laying around. What the hell does he think they're going to steal? The cat boxes?)
My mother is dead-set convinced that hackers are constantly breaking into her computer, and her proof is literally anything her computer does that she doesn't expect or understand, and she's confident that she's foiling them by restarting the computer to interrupt their hacking attempts when she notices them. She told me once she left her computer alone for a while and she came back after a couple hours and SAW the hackers in the act, downloading stuff or uploading stuff or something, it was plain as day. I asked her to describe exactly what was going on on the screen when this happened, and she did. It was Windows freaking auto-installing a patch. Not even kidding.

I tried to tell her once, like Mom, you're not the government. You're not a bank. Identity thieves who want your credit card number will try to steal it when you're out on the internet actually using it. What do you think you can possibly have on your actual computer itself that a team of hackers is going to be spending all day every day trying to physically break into it and steal like you're in a flippin' Die Hard movie? I swear I got through to her that time, but it didn't last - a few months later she was back to talking about the hackers.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Hmm.... Perhaps not always the case - the Panzer SS may have been vile murdering scumbags, but I'm not sure the word 'coward' is always correct in their case. OTOH, the modern day 'internet nazi' undoubtedly is a coward and a bully (and not particularly bright either).

eta: I suspect I may have let myself in for a shitstorm here...o_O
I still treasure the memory of an encounter, some years ago, with two drunken BNP supporters who were making a disturbance in the street and blocking our path as an old friend of mine and I were walking home, which ended with my friend drawing herself up to her full height, fixing them with an icy glare, and coldly informing them in her strong German accent that "While I am not proud of the fact my late father was a Standartenführer (Colonel) in the Waffen SS, he would have had scum like you shot."

They retreated, in some disorder.

(She was certainly telling the truth about her father's military record and I have no reason to doubt her word about the other bit, too).

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
My mother is dead-set convinced that hackers are constantly breaking into her computer, and her proof is literally anything her computer does that she doesn't expect or understand, and she's confident that she's foiling them by restarting the computer to interrupt their hacking attempts when she notices them. She told me once she left her computer alone for a while and she came back after a couple hours and SAW the hackers in the act, downloading stuff or uploading stuff or something, it was plain as day. I asked her to describe exactly what was going on on the screen when this happened, and she did. It was Windows freaking auto-installing a patch. Not even kidding.

I tried to tell her once, like Mom, you're not the government. You're not a bank. Identity thieves who want your credit card number will try to steal it when you're out on the internet actually using it. What do you think you can possibly have on your actual computer itself that a team of hackers is going to be spending all day every day trying to physically break into it and steal like you're in a flippin' Die Hard movie? I swear I got through to her that time, but it didn't last - a few months later she was back to talking about the hackers.
Maybe childish on my part but I imagined this post in 1337

my m07h3r 15 d34d-537 c0nv1nc3d 7h47 h4ck3r5 4r3 c0n574n7ly br34k1n6 1n70 h3r c0mpu73r, 4nd h3r pr00f 15 l173r4lly 4ny7h1n6 h3r c0mpu73r d035 7h47 5h3 d035n'7 3xp3c7 0r und3r574nd, 4nd 5h3'5 c0nf1d3n7 7h47 5h3'5 f01l1n6 7h3m by r3574r71n6 7h3 c0mpu73r 70 1n73rrup7 7h31r h4ck1n6 4773mp75 wh3n 5h3 n071c35 7h3m. 5h3 70ld m3 0nc3 5h3 l3f7 h3r c0mpu73r 4l0n3 f0r 4 wh1l3 4nd 5h3 c4m3 b4ck 4f73r 4 c0upl3 h0ur5 4nd 54w 7h3 h4ck3r5 1n 7h3 4c7, d0wnl04d1n6 57uff 0r upl04d1n6 57uff 0r 50m37h1n6, 17 w45 pl41n 45 d4y. 1 45k3d h3r 70 d35cr1b3 3x4c7ly wh47 w45 601n6 0n 0n 7h3 5cr33n wh3n 7h15 h4pp3n3d, 4nd 5h3 d1d. 17 w45 w1nd0w5 fr34k1n6 4u70-1n574ll1n6 4 p47ch. n07 3v3n k1dd1n6.

1 7r13d 70 73ll h3r 0nc3, l1k3 m0m, y0u'r3 n07 7h3 60v3rnm3n7. y0u'r3 n07 4 b4nk. 1d3n717y 7h13v35 wh0 w4n7 y0ur cr3d17 c4rd numb3r w1ll 7ry 70 5734l 17 wh3n y0u'r3 0u7 0n 7h3 1n73rn37 4c7u4lly u51n6 17. wh47 d0 y0u 7h1nk y0u c4n p0551bly h4v3 0n y0ur 4c7u4l c0mpu73r 1753lf 7h47 4 734m 0f h4ck3r5 15 601n6 70 b3 5p3nd1n6 4ll d4y 3v3ry d4y 7ry1n6 70 phy51c4lly br34k 1n70 17 4nd 5734l l1k3 y0u'r3 1n 4 fl1pp1n' d13 h4rd m0v13? 1 5w34r 1 607 7hr0u6h 70 h3r 7h47 71m3, bu7 17 d1dn'7 l457 - 4 f3w m0n7h5 l473r 5h3 w45 b4ck 70 74lk1n6 4b0u7 7h3 h4ck3r5.
It just made me laugh.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts

Your Mom is from the Jetson's future complete with flying cars compared to my brother. Here's the complete list of communications technology in their home:

One (1) TV (color.) Cathode ray tube style.
One (1) cable box, basic service.
One (1) landline telephone w/dial. </list>

He carries a flip phone, "because work. *grumble*" Can't operate it to save his soul except to answer it. Sometimes. And it took a major health crisis for him to admit he even owned the flip phone and finally divulge the number to me. :rolleyes:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Is SomethingAwful still an active place? I haven't seen mention of it much the last few years.
Not sure, as I have not used it in years. The site is still there though.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin