Cloudflare Dumps 8chan

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Who uses Crapflare still nowadays? I mean, their browser check blocked in previous times more legitimate browsers than everything else. When people are accessing your site using TOR, they need to solve captchas.

Their core business service is DDoS protection, so they should excel on it, until a real one starts, it just crumbles away. They mingle with TLS certificates.

And then there is their war on DNS, where Mozilla collaborates willingly with them: they are really trying hard to establish DNS over HTTP. Mozilla impleneted this by a while ago using Cloudflare as single provider (not enabled by default yet), and all queries would have gone to Cloudflare's services.

The maker of PowerDNS; Bernd Hubert, is also not a fan of this: On Firefox moving DNS to a third party

And some IPO thoughts:

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Dude, they run the largest CDN in the world.
That's their propaganda; nothing more. Giving the less than stellar track record of Cloudflare in terms of not sucking, nobody with a sane mind should use them. Like ever, there's more than enough competition and better solutions around.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
On a side note: the name "8chan" is revealing and stupid in so many ways.

1. Nazis are cowards. They picked a name that hides the nature of their site.
2. Nazis have no sense of irony. This is the "English-only" crowd and the name has a Japanese loan word in it.
3. Nazis are trolls. Their displays of concern are always fake - if you need proof, just look at how their issues with murder and mayhem disappear once one of them goes on a killing spree.
4. Nazis are parasites. This is a group that's obsessed with "Übermenschen" and "Untermenschen", and yet they're the ones who are infesting communities like reddit and social networks. The "'-chan" suffix is just something they can piggyback on.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
On a side note: the name "8chan" is revealing and stupid in so many ways.

1. Nazis are cowards. They picked a name that hides the nature of their site.
2. Nazis have no sense of irony. This is the "English-only" crowd and the name has a Japanese loan word in it.
3. Nazis are trolls. Their displays of concern are always fake - if you need proof, just look at how their issues with murder and mayhem disappear once one of them goes on a killing spree.
4. Nazis are parasites. This is a group that's obsessed with "Übermenschen" and "Untermenschen", and yet they're the ones who are infesting communities like reddit and social networks. The "'-chan" suffix is just something they can piggyback on.
I am going to guess they named the site after the fact they were kicked off of 4chan.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Even the site's creator wants it taken down

Brennan is not the current owner, though he was the creator.
Mr. Watkins, who runs 8chan along with his son, Ronald, has remained defiant in the face of criticism, and has resisted calls to moderate or shut down the site. On Sunday, a banner at the top of 8chan’s home page read, “Welcome to 8chan, the Darkest Reaches of the Internet.” Mr. Watkins did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

But more recently, Mr. Brennan, who has begun attending a Baptist church, has tried to persuade Mr. Watkins to shut down the site. He and Mr. Watkins live near each other in the Philippines, he said, and he often drives past Mr. Watkins’s house on his way to church.

(In a 2017 interview, Mr. Watkins said of running 8chan, “It doesn’t make money, but it’s a lot of fun.”)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
It is astounding how many alt-righter and Nazi types are I mean not just anime fans, but fully qualify for the title "weeb" if no one does. Weeb Nazis pushing Trump was so much a thing that Republican analysts actually noted it with consternation during the campaign, before Trump won and they all had to dutifully abandon their principles and country and get down on their knees.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Naturally, they will say that their "free speech" is being violated. Thing is though, as far as I know, no government agency is forcing Cloudfare or any others to take down these sites.

I recall, back in the 70's/80's of course the nazis were about, but they were more underground. They published themselves, or used a publisher who was of like mind, such at The Turner Diaries, which was originally mail-order only.

I've heard it argued that it is better to at least know what they are up to, and that perhaps even the sites are being monitored. Hmm..if so, we haven't yet seen any arrests for those about to plan attacks. Instead, these guys go on right before the attack to post their manifestos, no doubt not leaving enough time to do anything about it.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Naturally, they will say that their "free speech" is being violated. Thing is though, as far as I know, no government agency is forcing Cloudfare or any others to take down these sites.
Exactly. People always scream "But Free Speech!", and always miss that the Amendment specifically says that free speech can not be silenced by the *government*. You're free to do whatever in your own home, property or private company.

I wonder how many of the people who tend to shout "But Free Speech!" ever tossed somebody out of their house or punched them in the face for insulting them. It's always "But Free Speech!" unless it directly affects them. The irony is thick.

I've heard it argued that it is better to at least know what they are up to, and that perhaps even the sites are being monitored.
Somebody elsewhere made a good point in that regard;
Here, it's easier if I simply quote it:

It makes no sense to shutdown the place where the kooks and criminals hang out. Isn't it better to keep them all in one place?

Their reply:
Except these people aren't criminals. They are big mouths in an echo chamber that consistently gets louder and louder and louder until someone snaps. That one person then becomes a criminal supported by the peanut gallery of internet toughguys.
It's like a full scale riot. The people in the riot aren't all bad but the situation and the concentration of anger amplifies their temperament. Disperse them and the riot calms down. Likewise here, it's better to *not* have all weak minds being subjected to a very wide range of extremist stupidity day in day out. By dispersing them from a central place they don't cease to be, but they become less effective.
I think they're on to something there.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Brennan is not the current owner, though he was the creator.
What is this BS from him, though? 8chan hasn't "gone dark". It is exactly as dark as it was the day he created it. It hasn't changed at all, in any way.

Don't let this guy try to act like 8chan didn't used to be like this back when he was in charge.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
8chan? Well the name speaks volumes: the 8th letter of the alphabet is H. 88 is a common insider abbreviation of Neo Nazis for HH, or Heil Hitler.
8Chan existed long before the latest developments. It is in no way a new site, and heralds back to the big memey *chan days....though it was a bit late to those.
It is essentially a *Chan board where anybody can make their own subforum. I say good riddance though, personally.