Closed: Please delete.

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
If I sell an old phone I no longer use can someone retrieve information from it to use?
Edit: To put this more in context someone in my area is buying old phones.

Model numbers:
Blackberry: 2684358814792268
Lg: VM510
Samsung: SGH-S730G

Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
does this phone use a simcard?

Simcards carry all your data, contacts, active number, texts... if that was removed then it shouldn't be a problem...( note this won't remove apps or other things that may have been installed)

phones that use the embeded simcard have to be reprogrammed or wiped before being sold. New devices can be wiped remotely

Even older phones usually have a factory reset that can be accessed pressing certain buttons on start up.. like entering the Bios menu on a computer( usually it's the power button and volume button at the same time.)

if the device is stolen or lost. all phones have a unique number that Service providers can use to make the phone inoperable... aka bricking your device.

if the data was not wiped before it's possible to get info from it. did you lock it down with password or Patterlock? do you always click the auto login or save my infomation for later?

in order to get the phone to work with their own service provider they would have to reprogram it wiping your information anyway.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Victorianna Writer

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
does this phone use a simcard?

Simcards carry all your data, contacts, active number, texts... if that was removed then it shouldn't be a problem...( note this won't remove apps or other things that may have been installed)

phones that use the embeded simcard have to be reprogrammed or wiped before being sold. New devices can be wiped remotely

Even older phones usually have a factory reset that can be accessed pressing certain buttons on start up.. like entering the Bios menu on a computer( usually it's the power button and volume button at the same time.)

if the device is stolen or lost. all phones have a unique number that Service providers can use to make the phone inoperable... aka bricking your device.

if the data was not wiped before it's possible to get info from it. did you lock it down with password or Patterlock? do you always click the auto login or save my infomation for later?

in order to get the phone to work with their own service provider they would have to reprogram it wiping your information anyway.
These were old flip phones that didn't use a password. I don't know about the sim card.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
some of those old phones used to use both sim card data and memory on the phone itself. You'd need to check the menu settings on the phone to reset or clear all the data. Just removing the sim card doesn't always delete all the settings, data or info stored.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
They're neither apple nor android.
The way you were asking your original question here is really bad. Personally I dislike it when people are sitting on the context of a question, but don't tell it on their own, so that you instead have to pull it out of their nose or rely on guessing.

You should really learn on how to give the proper context related to your question from the start, it makes life easier for all.

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
The way you were asking your original question here is really bad. Personally I dislike it when people are sitting on the context of a question, but don't tell it on their own, so that you instead have to pull it out of their nose or rely on guessing.

You should really learn on how to give the proper context related to your question from the start, it makes life easier for all.
Well there's no need to be so rude. I don't know a whole lot about the subject is why I'm asking for help.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well there's no need to be so rude. I don't know a whole lot about the subject is why I'm asking for help.
If you do consider this rude, then you should really update your reality perception. I was just giving you a friendly advise on how to improve yourself on asking questions - take it or leave it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
If you do consider this rude, then you should really upgrade your reality perception. I was just giving you a friendly advise on how to improve yourself on asking questions - take it or leave it.
If I knew the answer I wouldn't be asking for help.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Now you are dodging the topic... again: the topic is not the answer, but how you asked your original question: without any meaningful context at all, which makes it hard to help for anybody.

When talking about PHONES, there are desk phones and cell phones. You just talked about phones - so we could guess which one. Already one bad thing. The other thing is to give absolutely no hint about the manufacturer and assumed age/manufacturing date of it, which is now really not hard to give at all normally.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
Now you are dodging the topic... again: the topic is not the answer, but how you asked your original question: without any meaningful context at all, which makes it hard to help for anybody.

When talking about PHONES, there are desk phones and cell phones. You talked about phones - so we could guess which one. Already one bad thing. The other thing is to give absolutely no hint about the manufacturer and assumed age/manufacturing date of it, which is now really not hard to give at all normally.
I know nothing about the subject. Thanks for derailing my thread to criticize me. Ignored.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
So you really want to make me believe that you are not smart enough to read the name of a manufacturer/brand on a phone? Brillant.

I got the suspicion that you are nothing but a bad troll, with all your different one liner topics you've just created today, keen on wasting several people's lifetime here on the forum for your own selfish enjoyment.

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and OrinB

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
If it's an old flip phone you might as well take it to an E-waste recycler like Best Buy who performs secure destruction of devices.

Winter Rabbit: it helps to do some basic research before asking questions, it's less annoying. Also, some people are more direct, and this can be a cultural thing as well. Also, if you annoy someone, apologize, figure out what annoyed them, and don't do it again. Everyone here is honest and sincere and a decent person. That is why I recommended this forum to you.

Bartholomew: not everyone is clued-in on technology or even pays much attention to it, and some need "gentle" pointers on playing nicely on forums. He is not a troll, I know him, he is well-meaning.

Last edited:

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
If it's an old flip phone you might as well take it to an E-waste recycler like Best Buy who performs secure destruction of devices.

Winter Rabbit: it helps to do some basic research before asking questions, it's less annoying. Also, some people are more direct, and this can be a cultural thing as well.
Bartholomew: not everyone is clued-in on technology or even pays much attention to it, and some need "gentle" pointers on playing nicely on forums. She is not a troll, I know her, she is well-meaning.
Thanks very much, Eber, but I'm a male. More information was added to the original post, just for you ;)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
It would help to at least have said what brand and model the phone is - we could better answer the question, instead of having to ask multiple questions to get to that info (which still hasn't even been posted). What make and model is the flip phone?

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
It would help to at least have said what brand and model the phone is - we could better answer the question, instead of having to ask multiple questions to get to that info (which still hasn't even been posted). What make and model is the flip phone?
Let me look...Will add to the original post.

Last edited:

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
Has been added to OP. Thanks for your patience.