WTF Climate Change News

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This interview ties in to article references that Innula posted above. The economic costs of adjusting to climate change will be huge, and many small communities will be abandoned.

This quote captures our present conundrum: too many people won't believe or react until they experience climate change effects, and that delay reduces our options.

...even though we have missed a lot of time when we could have been preparing better for sea level rise and the impacts of climate change, it's still interesting that it's taken actual specific events on the ground to really make our local governments change in most cases.

I think that's, unfortunately, one of the lessons that we're taking out of this. And so, we're really missing on time that we could have spent planning and trying to implement long term adaptations. And now we're not going to have as many years to do that.

Free

Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well the problem with climate change is that the same psychologial denial mechanisms do apply which also bring us to smoke, enjoy fat fast food etc.etc. - it became a habit, our lifestyle is convenient so why should we change at all.

I've once read an interesting analogon about it - it was about a village in Poland when it was invaded by the Wehrmacht during WWII. It had a somewhat medium sized Jewish community. When the news spread around that the Wehrmacht is on the march to them to conquer them, most of the members of the community thought not to much about, thinking all is going to be quite ok because they did not believe that Hitler is going to deliver on his speeches. Only a few people fled because they were flexible enough to understand what's going on, and emigrated to other countries. The rest was captured and most of them being deported to various KZs later, where many did die in the end.

It's the same with climate change, the "but but but" phenomenon: but it's not man made, but it's natural, but scientists are unsure about it, but but but... mankind just loves to be in blissful denial, ignoring the insights of science. The same insights by the way which give us a comfortable lifestyle are ignored when the truth is inconvenient for us and it is far more easier to to business as usual than to change anything, because it is so easy to lie to yourself instead of changing something.

Which is by the way why most politicians are failing with dealing on climate change as well - they want to get reelected and presume that it is easier to just carry on as is instead of forcing radical changes upon their voters which might cost them their mandates.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've once read an interesting analogon about it - it was about a village in Poland when it was invaded by the Wehrmacht during WWII. It had a somewhat medium sized Jewish community. When the news spread around that the Wehrmacht is on the march to them to conquer them, most of the members of the community thought not to much about, thinking all is going to be quite ok because they did not believe that Hitler is going to deliver on his speeches. Only a few people fled because they were flexible enough to understand what's going on, and emigrated to other countries. The rest was captured and most of them being deported to various KZs later, where many did die in the end.
To where outside Poland might the Jewish villagers have fled in any great numbers from their villages after the German invasion in 1939, and how would they have travelled there?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hmm, thread shows as new but when I click on it I go to page 1. Plus on my phone no way of skipping to the last page. Well, later.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
To where outside Poland might the Jewish villagers have fled in any great numbers from their villages after the German invasion in 1939, and how would they have travelled there?
I do not know, maybe on the sea to Sweden? Could also be that the story happened in the Netherlands, I am not so sure about it any more, but aside that I read about it some months ago that it happened like that: only few people left who were safe, the rest got deported and many killed.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I do not know, maybe on the sea to Sweden? Could also be that the story happened in the Netherlands, I am not so sure about it any more, but aside that I read about it some months ago that it happened like that: only few people left who were safe, the rest got deported and many killed.
You may be thinking of the evacuation of Danish Jews to Sweden.

Certainly I don't see how many Polish villagers could realistically have expected to be able to make it to any Baltic ports, since that would have meant travelling through either Germany or German-occupied territories at a time when the Germans were trying to move all Polish Jews into ghettos in the Generalgouvernment, or the USSR, and then they'd have had somehow to arrange passage to Sweden (or wherever you suggest) without having either money or contacts -- these are impoverished villagers we're talking about.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Certainly I don't see how many Polish villagers could realistically have expected to be able to make it to any Baltic ports...
:qft:
As an analogy to climate denial, it's not such a good fit. But as an example of climate refugees, it's illuminating. The young, healthy and relatively unencumbered can evacuate quickly and most of that group may survive. The old, the sick, the weak, the poor, those with many small children -- they don't have the same options for escaping disaster, even if they see it coming.

In light of current news, how many people will make plans to emigrate from Australia? If they've just lost everything they own, do they have the means? Where would they go? Who would let them in to stay?

Ishina

SL Rez
Well they wont find a home in the west. It isn't the time to be a refugee here. The seeds planted by scapegoaters and nationalists over these last several decades are now in full fruit. Sometimes it seems the mainstream mentality is one rally away from commiting atrocities.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Asshole government Australian style: many of the firefighters are volunteers there, and again many of the volunteers are jobless.

So of course they are too busy right now to apply for the weekly number of jobs considered necessary to receive further benefits, so in a consequence many of those peoples' benefits have been suspended as appreciation for them risking their lifes for their country.

Officially there is the possibility to get liberated from those obligations in such a case - link here: Exemptions for volunteer firies | Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, question is though how many people do know about it and handed in the required form in time.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Asshole government Australian style: many of the firefighters are volunteers there, and again many of the volunteers are jobless.

So of course they are too busy right now to apply for the weekly number of jobs considered necessary to receive further benefits, so in a consequence many of those peoples' benefits have been suspended as appreciation for them risking their lifes for their country.

Officially there is the possibility to get liberated from those obligations in such a case - link here: Exemptions for volunteer firies | Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, question is though how many people do know about it and handed in the required form in time.
Sad thing is, I can see that exact thing happening here in the US.