VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Y'all need to fight me!

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Just listen to this enlightened speech of the globally recognised renewable energy expert Donald J. Trump against wind mills, the silent bald eagle killing machines:

"I know wind mills very much, I've studied it better than anybody I know, it's very expensive.
[...]
You know, I know wind mills very much. They’re noisy. They kill the birds. You want to see a bird graveyard? Go under a windmill some day. You’ll see more birds than you’ve ever seen in your life"

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
"You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe..."

Simply mindblowing stuff! Again Trump clearly showed that the J in his name is for genius... that statement alone is more than frightening, he's obviously an imbecile.

The thing is that in Republican governed Texas wind mills are on the rise, and why? Quite simple: because it is a very much welcome additional income for farmers, they do work and their power is cheap. End of story. But sadly nobody did give Trump that memo...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
"You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe..."

Simply mindblowing stuff! Again Trump clearly showed that the J in his name is for genius... that statement alone is more than frightening, he's obviously an imbecile.

The thing is that in Republican governed Texas wind mills are on the rise, and why? Quite simple: because it is a very much welcome additional income for farmers, they do work and their power is cheap. End of story. But sadly nobody did give Trump that memo...
Some years ago when I lived in Houston the power company had an option to have one’s electricity from renewables, which were wind farms. I didn’t notice it leading to high bills and I was happy to do it. At first I thought “what about hurricanes?” but it turns out all that wind is a feature.

Texas needs to go purple! I don’t think it will be much longer. If it does, it’s on the list of places I could retire (not near storm surges or bayous though lol). You just have to pick a good place to live.

Wind power in Texas - Wikipedia

The Gulf Wind Farm survived Hurricane Harvey just fine:

Gulf Wind Farm - Wikipedia

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
...he's obviously an imbecile.
It's very strange the way people normalize Trump's behavior. Of course he's an imbecile; his brain is melting. He's not naturally stupid (although he's never been the brightest bulb in the chandelier), but he is blatantly, obviously in the throes of dementia/senility. Normal, healthy people DO NOT DO THIS.

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
This why Trump hates windfarms...

And this is why he thinks they're expensive...

Windpower here is becoming more and more accessible as an alternative power to fossil fuels. With even future developments like bladeless turbines helping to diminish the effect on wildlife.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Here's the math on renewables:
First of all, this video is from 2013, and I don't know how much older his data sources are than that. But his numbers for solar are off by about an order of magnitude.

LG has a 400W Solar Panel, whose dimensions are a hair over 1x2 meters, thus 200W/m^2. US "capacity factor" for solar farms is 25%. That's the ratio of actual average output vs rated output. This factors in night, cloudy weather, and atmospheric absorption when the Sun is low in the sky. So the net output per area is 50 W/m^2. There's some space between rows of panels, but you can do things like raise sheep on pasture grasses growing below them. So the space doesn't have to be wasted, and it's called "agrivoltaics".

The UK, nowadays, has lots of offshore wind power. The wind is stronger and more steady over water, and it of course doesn't use up any land. The video implicitly assumes wind turbines are only on land. Since the turbines are spaced ~5 blade diameters apart, they only actually use up maybe 1% of the land area they sit on. Midwestern farms in the US very commonly grow crops between the turbines and under the blades. The area around the base of the tower and sometimes an access road are the only parts not usable for agriculture.

Going back to first principles, like speaker suggests, the Earth receives 128,200 TW of solar energy at nominal sea-level, while total energy use is 18.4 TW last year. Adjusting for the 25% capacity factor and 20% panel efficiency, we would get a net power of 6410 TW if we covered the entire planet in solar panels. Thus we would need to cover 0.287% of the planet, or about 1% of the land area to power the world. This is similar to the urbanized area of the planet.

So his story that there isn't enough room to power the world is just very far off from reality.

Free

Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
"Sorry, I can't go out tonight. I'm currently seeding my dress coat."

So it's watered by your urine through a cathetered filtering system. It needs pollinators so you have bugs crawling and buzzing around. It weighs 20 pounds. Sure sounds like a solution to me! Any plans on the meat version?

Oh wait...

Well, you know it does almost sound like sort of a post-apocalyptic way of ensuring a food supply. But have you had people interested now in actually doing this?

The work wasn't really produced to offer a solution.
Hiss! Boo!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts