WTF Climate Change News

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I suspect that they've realised there's no money to be made from it, and want to paint it as 'eco-awareness' for publicity purposes - or am I being unduly cynical ?
I do believe there's enough money you can make from there once oil becomes expensive enough. But since America is drowning in shale oil&gas at the moment it makes no sense economically wise to go there.

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
The orange coloring seems to be from the sunset or rise. The rest is smog I guess.
It was from an article in a Dutch newspaper about Mexico Cities plans to try and do something about the bad air quality.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Archer

Who knew?
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Really need an affordable electric pickup truck for the US market. That would be a game changer.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Really need an affordable electric pickup truck for the US market. That would be a game changer.
The Tesla Cybertruck will start at 40K. Not sure how it compares to ICE trucks with similar specs. I have a Chevy Silverado, but I picked it up used for $14K. New cars and trucks are too expensive for me.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well the issue is that such a truck quite probably has a higher empty weight battery pack included than one with a normal combustion engine, meaning it is going to have a higher base axle load, wearing down the streets quicker.

Last edited:
  • 1lolwut?
Reactions: Govi

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Every time I've sent out a return or trade-in over the years, I've reused packaging. Packaging I hold onto for just such a purpose, and which I would have otherwise tossed out, adding to that "trail of pollution." So, should I just hold onto defective or off-sized or incorrectly sent products? If I don't return them, what? Ignoring the extra costs of reordering (and hey, more packaging to trash!), I could donate clothing that doesn't fit, or stuff I didn't order. What about broken or defective items?

I get it, but I'm tiring of these think green piece-works. You could write this article on almost any topic imaginable without bringing up any practical solutions*. Even something like "Windmill construction comes with an environmental cost" works.

* Yes, the one referenced switches to talking about electric delivery vehicles. But that leads to other problems. As well as more other problems.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Every time I've sent out a return or trade-in over the years, I've reused packaging. Packaging I hold onto for just such a purpose, and which I would have otherwise tossed out, adding to that "trail of pollution." So, should I just hold onto defective or off-sized or incorrectly sent products?
The true solution is that we all need to stop buying stuff. As a society we have to stop making it. Instead of racking our brains for solutions, we have to stop generating the problems in the first place. Our current lifestyles are not sustainable and never will be.

Of course, as soon as we do that, our financial system shatters and our society convulses. Which is why we're on the treadmill and can't get off.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Archer

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I would burn candles for us at a Holy Mary statue, but that would not be CO2 neutral either.

We simply all have excuses, when it becomes inconvenient to do something or even better to leave something to help solving the problems (if solvable at all).

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
We simply all have excuses, when it becomes inconvenient to do something or even better to leave something to help solving the problems (if solvable at all).
Hey, watch where you point that scolding finger. I'm not making excuses for myself; I recognize that I'm just as complicit as any other consumer in our society.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Hey, watch where you point that scolding finger. I'm not making excuses for myself; I recognize that I'm just as complicit as any other consumer in our society.
I've been in a number of dumb fights with Germans and similar due to that whole Being Direct thing. My bet is Sid didn't mean anything by that, and was just being Dutch.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid