Choices on new graphics card at Amazon

Tove

So, I've finally got things set so that I can get an upgrade on my PC's video card and I am looking at several choices. My system is an Alienware Dell r6 Aurora PC with 16G RAM( am going to also be doubling my RAM too soon), i5 core running Win10 with at least a 300 psu if not 500 (cannot for the life of me remember how to tell either). I'd appreciate some help in deciding if anyone is so inclined. Am looking at the GTX 1650's and in particular those with the tag of Super (though the ones I found only have 128-bit and 4GB Memory) and am wondering if those are worth it compared to the others I put down that are not "Super". ETA: It has to be from Amazon since I am using an Amazon Card to buy the new card and memory.

Asus TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super Overclocked 4GB Edition HDMI DP DVI Gaming Graphics Card (TUF-GTX1650S-O4G-GAMING) Powered by NVIDIA Turing with 1800 MHz Boost Clock, 1280 CUDA cores and overclocked 4GB GDDR6 memory.

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super Twin Fan 4GB GDDR6 128-Bit Gaming Graphics Card, Super Compact, Zt-T16510F-10L New Turing architecture

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC 4G Graphics Card, 2X Windforce Fans, 4GB 128-Bit GDDR6, Gv-N165SWF2OC-4GD Video Card

MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP 4GB GDRR5 HDCP Support DirectX 12 Dual Fan VR Ready OC Graphics Card (GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G)

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I believe your PSU is 460W, which is plenty for 1650 super.
1650 super is usually a $10 premium over 1650 and is worth the difference.
What are you doing that you need more than 16G RAM?
Do you play games other than SL?

Mind the height of your video card. It looks like there's a bracket that covers the top of the card at the back of the case, and it may prevent you from installing a tall card. Two of the cards you've selected are tall. Check inside the case for that bracket and see how much clearance it leaves you.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Archer

Tove

I believe your PSU is 460W, which is plenty for 1650 super.
1650 super is usually a $10 premium over 1650 and is worth the difference.
What are you doing that you need more than 16G RAM?
Do you play games other than SL?

Mind the height of your video card. It looks like there's a bracket that covers the top of the card at the back of the case, and it may prevent you from installing a tall card. Two of the cards you've selected are tall. Check inside the case for that bracket and see how much clearance it leaves you.

Great! Thanks for the information on my PSU! Super is better woot! That eliminates the non Super one. Every time that I've put in RAM that I thought would do the trick in the past within a year I found that I needed much more so this time I am maxing out the 8 Gig sticks to give myself half of the max that this PC is supposed to accept. Besides... more power! -chuffs eyes wide- Which two cards are tall? I am not a hardware type of person, I have them installed by Best Buy Geeksquad people actually when I do stuff to upgrade.

Tove

In Addition...
I believe that the right fit without having to do a lot of messing about on my own would be this one. Cheaper per month payments and overall and tons of great reviews with specs that will fit my machine and what I hope to get out of it:
ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super Twin Fan 4GB GDDR6 128-Bit Gaming Graphics Card, Super Compact, Zt-T16510F-10L New Turing architecture 4GB 128-bit GDDR6 Super Compact 6.2-Inch card, fits 99% of systems Dual slot, 4K/ HDR Ready Displayport 1.4, HDMI 2.0B, Dual Link DVI Boost Clock 1725 MHz
Dimensions: 6.24 x 1.39 x 4.54 in But needs 6 pin power connector
$26.67/mo for 6 months with 0% interest equal monthly payments on your Amazon Store Card. Free Amazon tech support included
$159.99 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Taking a closer look, all four of those cards are taller than the top of the bracket. You need to open that thing up and see how much clearance you have. Or search for a discussion of adding a video card to that system.

If you don't know what it is I'm getting at, look at that triangular piece of metal I've pointed to. It looks nearly flush with the top of the bracket at the back of the card slots. That piece closes over top of the video card. Now look at straight-from-the-fan-side (or better yet, straight-from-the-back-of-the-pcb-board) pictures of the cards and note that all of them are taller than the metal bracket at the back of the card. Your case door seems to close directly on top of that bracket, and there's a triangular piece of metal at what looks to be a fraction of an inch above that. Measure how large that difference is. That's how much clearance you have over the PCIe bracket, and that's how much taller than that bracket your video card can be.

And I don't know how I missed it, but you have that black plastic piece over the video card. I can't even tell what that is.

Last edited:

Tove

OK just checked on google for what dimensions will work fit in the Aurora r6 and came across an official Nvidia message board where they gave the link on Nvidia's site for the highest quality of the cards that would ship with Aurora r6s and it had these dimensions
height: 4.376 length: 10.5 Width: 2-Slot
That meshes with the dimensions of the AMD Radeon (TM) RX 560 that I have currently which came with this computer at 8.31 x 1.57 x 4.41 in at 8.31 x 1.57 x 4.41 inches and with the ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super Twin Fan 4GB GDDR6 128-Bit Gaming Graphics Card, Super Compact, Zt-T16510F-10L being at only 6.24 x 1.39 x 4.54 in, I don't see how it wouldn't work? Plus, you get free returns with this one. :)

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
On the 4GB.... my previous recommendations for SL were 4GB as FS's maximum texture RAM limit is 2GB which leaves 2GB for system + graphics tasks. However... this must be multiplied by the number of viewer instances you intend to run at once and FS announced the 2GB texture limit might fall in the future. If you can afford a 8GB card it would not be unreasonable to get one.

Tove

On the 4GB.... my previous recommendations for SL were 4GB as FS's maximum texture RAM limit is 2GB which leaves 2GB for system + graphics tasks. However... this must be multiplied by the number of viewer instances you intend to run at once and FS announced the 2GB texture limit might fall in the future. If you can afford a 8GB card it would not be unreasonable to get one.
Would love to but the prices are just way too high for me. I've also got to get other things this year and with Amazon, your payments are for 6 months, which will allow me that option. I am also looking to improve my credit score even better so that I may get another car this year. Mine has died.. dead dead dead, at best a parts car or for the real adventurous a project car...... well tmi but my mind is whirring a mile a second dealing with the possiblities atm. LOL