Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Netflix's dark take on Sabrina The Teenage Witch premiered this past weekend:

I'm feeling a bit mixed about it, though I'm only 4 episodes in. I do like it, but not as much as I expected to. Also, it is very dark - which is not bad, some of it just feels - odd. Excellent cast, though - especially Sabrina. I will keep watching it, I'm just not blown away by it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Alexa Lioncourt

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
The trailer did seem to imply that it would be more of a dark comedy than it actually was, but I enjoyed it. I will say that it picked up a bit in the later episodes though. Ms. Wardwell (Michelle Gomez, hello!) and Ambrose were probably my favorite characters, although I really appreciated that, as wicked as Prudence could be, she wasn't just a one dimensional antagonist for Sabrina. I also thought it was interesting that, despite the overall 60ish vibe, there are enough modern elements sprinkled through to keep it from being firmly anchored in that decade.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I binged through the whole season, and loved it. Great casting, especially with Aunt Hilda and aunt Z, the nazgul killer! ;)

Rare to see supernatural horror/dark comedy that doesn't immediately go full slasher-flick. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite enjoying the campy gore filled "Ash vs. Evil Dead" series too, but it's nice to have some variety.

I have no idea how much is lifted from the comics themselves, but I'm really enjoying all the little details their technical adviser(s) have put in. Just the names alone of some of the supporting characters were enough to foreshadow their possible story arcs.

Sigh me up for season 2!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Alexa Lioncourt

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I didn't dig it at first. Almost gave up halfway through first episode. I'm now 4 eps in and find myself wanting to watch it over other stuff. I'm pretty anti-teen in my viewing stuff but I can eyeroll through most of the teen angsty moments. Love Ambrose, Ms Wardwell and Hilda.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Isabeau and Cristiano

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm watching it just because Salem is awesome!

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm watching, but at a slow pace. I think I'm on up to episode 4 for my next viewing.

I'm not big on the choice of Kiernan Shipka to play Sabrina, but overall I really like the cast. The plotting doesn't feel plodding, and I was afraid I'd hate the whole thing about Sabrina having to cut all ties with her human friends etc. when she turns 16. But so far I'm entertained, which is all I ask.

Also, people are dying! Real consequences, baby...

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I am having a hard time making my way through it - I'm midway through episode 4. I like it, but something about it just feels off. It is getting more interesting, at least. Ambrose, Ms. Wardwell and Hilda are the highlights. Zelda has grown on me too.

Hana

.mercurial heathen.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jul 2008
SLU Posts
My girlfriend and i just watched through the first 3 episodes tonight (soooo not clicking NyteWytch's spoiler until tomorrow when we watch episode 4) and have enjoyed it so far. The first episode i was iffy on, but by episode 2 and then 3 i was really intrigued. i've never read the comics, so i can only compare it to the Sabrina the Teenage Witch - Melissa Joan Hart edition which i enjoyed as a teen. They are very different.

i'm glad you all warned me this was going to be darker because it was.. i think i wouldn't have liked it as much if i hadn't been prepared for that. i've liked Ambrose's role a lot and looking forward to seeing how things play out as the season goes forward.

• 1Like
Reactions: NyteWytch
Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
How scary is it? I want to watch it because of Missy I mean Michelle Gomez but I scare easy.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Hmm...I usually don't like scary stuff anymore. I would say there have been a few jump-scares that made me twitch (lol I didn't just admit that). It is "dark" themes (witchcraft, demons, hazing, death) and some yucky stuff (makeup, disease, "injuries"). I'm trying not to spoil anything here but I wouldn't call it scary necessarily.

Edited to add: I also watched the first episode of the latest Dr Who and feel Sabrina is as "scary" as the monster type things I saw there.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
I need to binge this. My Halloween project did not make it to fruition this year so this and other shows will whip me on to spooky victory for next Halloween.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
I haven't finished watching it yet, but I'm really enjoying it. I love the combination of kitsch and horror. It's dark and even shocking at times, but then it has such silly things that break the tension. It's surprisingly layered and I love the diversity and feminist streaks. As a kid, I read Archie Comics, but never Sabrina so I don't know how faithful it is, but I'm surprised Satanism (in the Christian sense) is doing so well in pop culture.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
My wife is binging the 90s Sabrina right now. I doubt she would watch this, even if we had netflix, as she does not like horror and suspense.

It does seem odd they would shift it so much. I am assuming the natural audience for any show that is redone/rebooted/revisited would be people who liked the previous incarnations, right?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
It does seem odd they would shift it so much. I am assuming the natural audience for any show that is redone/rebooted/revisited would be people who liked the previous incarnations, right?
This series is based on the comics, which were much darker than the 90s sitcom. It is done by the same person who did Riverdale, which is also dark (though not as dark as Sabrina).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
This series is based on the comics, which were much darker than the 90s sitcom. It is done by the same person who did Riverdale, which is also dark (though not as dark as Sabrina).
Ah, I never read the comics.