CDC romaine lettuce warning

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The CDC says you should avoid romaine like the brown acid. At the moment they are fighting another outbreak of E. coli, which has affected 32 people in several states, hospitalizing 13 of them. They have connected the outbreaks to romaine lettuce, but have yet to determine specifics about sourcing, leading them to advise that everyone simply avoid romaine altogether for the time being while they work discovering those details.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Ugh. Here we go again. We just had an e. Coli outbreak with romaine lettuce not too long ago. Did the CDC ever pin down where that came from? What the hell is going on with our food supply?

First, salmonella-tainted turkeys, now e coli tainted lettuce. Thanksgiving is going to be interesting.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
We just had an e. Coli outbreak with romaine lettuce not too long ago. Did the CDC ever pin down where that came from?
Yes, it was found that water used for irrigation in the Yuma, Arizona area was contaminated in early April. It affected all romaine grown in that area, so it wasn't any individual company or farm responsible.

E. coli is a fecal coliform, so contaminations of food tends to come from animal waste - either used as fertilizer (i.e, manure) or runoff into stream and groundwater that is later used for irrigation.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Good darn question!

There is a kind of general anti-science push in food these days, which pressures producers to switch to some older/more traditional techniques and whatnot. Often in order to use that coveted "organic" label. But a return to The Old Ways of Doing Things also means a return to the risks of old problems that newer methods were designed to help prevent - like bacterial contamination, or certain diseases.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Salad places must just LOVE this publicity two years in a row.

Free

The Pie Whisperer
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Neuken, America
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME CHOOSE KALE!

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME CHOOSE KALE!
I have concluded kale is an alien invader. Although what is worse is when people think cooking it actually makes it taste better.

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have concluded kale is an alien invader. Although what is worse is when people think cooking it actually makes it taste better.
Kale is cattle feed. In the spring you can take the young shoots and steam them as a veggie to have with your roast dinner. That's all. It's not a superfood and it's not for eating raw. It's just another cabbage for boiling. I blame Californians for trying to make it trendy :beatup:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
The best way to prepare kale is to place it, raw, in a food processor and process until it is a fine pulp, then arrange it attractively on the top of the compost pile.

Disinfect food processor thoroughly. (y)