Cats are jerks

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
My cat hides in a wooden crate (on its side) on my balcony all day every day, spying on the sparrows that visit the seed dish, biding her time. Many times a day, I hear her nails making scritch-scratch sounds as she runs out and tries to catch one. They know she's around, and fly away the moment she springs out of the box, but it keeps her occupied and alert, so I let her have her fun.

Well, today was the day.

What I heard: Scritch-scratch, bing-bang, flutter flutter, Peep! Peep! Peep!

Then she ran in with her catch! I jumped off the couch and yelled, No! No! No! And grabbed her. She let the bird go and it flew out.

I feel a little bad to have taken her prize away, but it doesn't seem to have deterred her. My patient little huntress is back in the box...
If I take away prey, I give soft food or a treat.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
I've never had a cat who caught something in front of me. Many that tried, a few who tried to launch themselves through windows, but none that caught anything in front of me (one brutally murdered my medicine plant while I was on vacation). If I had, I think I might accidentally start chanting "killkillkill" or something. Loudly. Startling the cat, who would drop the prey.

Or maybe not. Seeing an actual animal howling in pain is . . . not fun. Who ever invented mouse traps was a sadistic bastard. Ah. Hiram Maxim. Who also is the inventor of the first automatic machine gun. Ah, yes, and a hair curling iron. I've been subjected to that torture device, once. Also claims to have invented the lightbulb, but that seems unlikely. Maybe a lightbulb that shoots shards of glass at people, or something. Not one that just sits there innocently, then dies uninjuring anything. Wait - lightbulbs have killed many a bug that got attracted, and ... well, that's more a zapper, but I'm sure a bug could get trapped in a way to die. I've seen dead bugs next to lightbulbs.

His brother, Hudson Maxim, invented explosives. His son also invented weapons. And the Maxim silencer for noise suppression (no explanation given, just "invented Maxim silencer for noise suppression came too late to save his father's hearing", which is an odd sentence to read, out of context).

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
This reminds me of a story from my childhood. We lived in a suburb, and we had two cats and a dog. At one point a field mouse got into the house, and my mom tried throwing the cats at the mouse [not literally]. One cat was a siamese we'd rescued from a pet store in the mall - he really didn't have a clue on how to be a cat. So he just mostly ignored/watched the mouse. The other cat we'd gotten from her mom's humans. In theory she knew how to cat, but...

I kid you not, we watched her catch the mouse gently, like a kitten, then carry it around in her mouth, then placed the still very much alive mouse into my mom's bookbag [one of her unsuccessful attempts at getting a degree - she finally got one about 20+ years later]. I don't actually remember what happened in the end, but I want to say eventually the poor mouse died from fear [I wanted to catch it and release it, but I was also 13-14 at the time].

The number one reason why I never ever will have a cat.
I like cats, but not that much.
There are ways to protect furniture from cats, and not by covering it with plastic, either. I believe if you spray it with the calming pheromone sprays. Also, if you provide sufficient approved scratching posts, usually also sprayed, but with a catnip spray.

But also, if you start with an older kitty, they tend to not be as inclined to claw things up.

But it -is- also fine to just not have kitties. I'm just saying that if furniture destruction is the only reason, there are ways to prevent it.

I've never had a cat who caught something in front of me. Many that tried, a few who tried to launch themselves through windows, but none that caught anything in front of me (one brutally murdered my medicine plant while I was on vacation). If I had, I think I might accidentally start chanting "killkillkill" or something. Loudly. Startling the cat, who would drop the prey.

Or maybe not. Seeing an actual animal howling in pain is . . . not fun. Who ever invented mouse traps was a sadistic bastard. Ah. Hiram Maxim. Who also is the inventor of the first automatic machine gun. Ah, yes, and a hair curling iron. I've been subjected to that torture device, once. Also claims to have invented the lightbulb, but that seems unlikely. Maybe a lightbulb that shoots shards of glass at people, or something. Not one that just sits there innocently, then dies uninjuring anything. Wait - lightbulbs have killed many a bug that got attracted, and ... well, that's more a zapper, but I'm sure a bug could get trapped in a way to die. I've seen dead bugs next to lightbulbs.

His brother, Hudson Maxim, invented explosives. His son also invented weapons. And the Maxim silencer for noise suppression (no explanation given, just "invented Maxim silencer for noise suppression came too late to save his father's hearing", which is an odd sentence to read, out of context).
I've had cats catch squirrels, birds and lizards. In every case, if it was possible to save the small critters from the felines, I did. That kitty with the mouse? I caught her with a squirrel, caught her, making her release the squirrel, who didn't run, so to get it to run to safety, I let her go, she ended up catching it again, I made her let it go again, and then it looked at me, almost as if to say 'Oh, you're letting me -go-? Thanks!' then bounded to safety.

I don't think she was catching to to eat, but the fear would have killed it.

And the sheer number of lizards I have to rescue around here is.... amazing. But they come into the house and the kitties see TOY and play with them to death, so I try hard to prevent that.

As for mousetraps, not sure what's worse, the mechanical ones, or the ones that are supposedly humane that use poison glue.

If I ever get mousetraps again, I've seen the tiny catch/release traps, that's what I'd use. Trap, then take them outside again. But with 6 cats and a mostly terrier dog, when they do come into the house they turn right around and leave again, and now we've a cat who lives outside too.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
First couple of cats my parents got were siamese. One, the one that seemed to live forever (until they didn't, something like 1980-2001 something), had been, originally, an outdoor kitten/cat. Was told by original "owner" that this kitty was a huge mouser. Same cat that murdered my medicine plant. I'm fairly certain that this specific kitty both knew how to kill mice, but did so. Secretly, without ever giving us "presents". This is also the cat that would chase down and murder a toy, stare at you like "this not edible" and leave, never playing with that toy again.