Carnage on Mt. Everest

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Idiots. All of them. What is the point of doing some big achievement when that many other people are doing it? I am sure all of them went home with the same exact tale of conquering the big bad mountain too.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Sid

'Allo!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
A visitor to Amsterdam, Rome, New York or Bangkok is never alone there either. They are going home with the exact same stories and tales as well.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Nobody else visited New York with my brother. There is no way they have the same stories.

• 2LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Idiots. All of them. What is the point of doing some big achievement when that many other people are doing it? I am sure all of them went home with the same exact tale of conquering the big bad mountain too.
Using that logic, why do anything that someone else has done? Why run a marathon? Why compose a musical work, or write a book, or learn to sail, or take part in a sporting competition, or paint a picture, or visit Rome, or... or... or...

Listen. I can think of dozens of reasons why climbing Everest is a terrible idea. "Because other people are doing it too" doesn't register on the list.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Using that logic, why do anything that someone else has done? Why run a marathon? Why compose a musical work, or write a book, or learn to sail, or take part in a sporting competition, or paint a picture, or visit Rome, or... or... or...

Listen. I can think of dozens of reasons why climbing Everest is a terrible idea. "Because other people are doing it too" doesn't register on the list.
The whole POINT of doing something like climbing everest is because it sounds impressive. There being a line near the summit removes some of that oomph.

• 1Agree

GoblinCampFollower

There are so many other mountains.
Agreed!

I totally get wanting to climb a mountain.. I can also understand wanting to climb a challenging mountain. But I think the selection of mountain is often affected by dick waving. If you climb a mountain, but I climb Everest, then my dick is bigger. Need to make sure your accomplishment can't be one upped.

It's related to how many people will find ways to work their proudest accomplishment into a conversation where it had no relevance. You see this with schools a great deal as well. I remember listening to a talk from an executive at my company and he said something like this:

"I wanted to go back to get my MBA. I wasn't sure where to go. After exploring some options I eventually decided that Harvard Business School was the right place for me."

There are plenty of less douche and unnatural ways he could have brought that up. If he said it with sarcasm, I'd have respected him more. But this guy had no charisma or sense of humor, and I really don't think he intended that to be at all funny.

• 1Agree

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
There are so many other mountains.
Yes. If you want to make it more impressive there are plenty of ways: not taking enough supplies is foolhardy but you could do it, oh, carrying a local villager who wanted to see the world from the local mtn but lost their legs before they could reach that goal.

• 1LOL
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Sid

'Allo!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If your goal is to climb many different mountains, in the end you want to climb the real big ones and the technically challenging ones, if you think you are skilled enough for that. You want the Eiger Nordwand, the south side of the Annapurna, the K2 and Mt Everest among a few others.
All those climbers know what the ultimate price is that they might have to pay, if something goes wrong up there.
Even relative average challenging mountains as the Mt Blanc and the Matterhorn have deadly accidents every year.
Equipment failure, unpredictable weather, unpredictable rocks or ice formations and overestimation of skills can be deadly on every climb.

• 1Agree

GoblinCampFollower

Yes. If you want to make it more impressive there are plenty of ways: not taking enough supplies is foolhardy but you could do it, oh, carrying a local villager who wanted to see the world from the local mtn but lost their legs before they could reach that goal.
Dark Souls challenge runs come to mind! haha. I get the appeal to wanting to beat your head against the wall to do something hard, just because it's hard. It's just a tragedy for your loved ones when the challenge could take your life. I've certainly had friends who I wish were a lot more risk adverse...

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I get enough death-defying excitement just trying to cross a Phoenix intersection on foot. All within easy walking distance and no Sherpas required.

• 2Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Danger *is* fun.

Until somebody winds up dead.

• 1Agree