Can't log into Windows

Robert Jung

My PC doesn't accept my login password. When I choose 'change password', it tells me that I need a a usb flashdrive.

anything I can do? Is my drive dead?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If you have Windows 10 installed, and update 1809 is loaded, you need to reboot a few times in order to log in, settle the display settings, and see text in the Windows components. Rollback is still a reasonable option though the update was published in October. Or your drive may be dead but you can look in BIOS to see whether or not it's responding.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Robert Jung
What version of windows are you using?

Double-check you haven't got caps lock on before you try anything more drastic. If you use a wireless keyboard, try some fresh batteries in it - some keyboards are temperamental on low battery :D

Have you made any changes to your PC recently or had any crashes/glitches? Did it update in the last few days? In other words, can you think of anything that might have offended Windows in any way?

I'd try a few reboots and switch it all off and on again too. Also, double check your internet connection and that the cable is still firmly connected to the PC just in case that's causing a problem and try logging in again.

• 1Thanks

Robert Jung

Okay, how do I look in BIOS when I can't get past the password prompt?

Eta: In the old days, you could press F10 before it booted; I tried that, but apparently it doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
BIOS should be accessible before Windows starts. Try hitting Escape or Delete repeatedly as soon as the computer starts booting. (There are probably some other keys that work -- maybe someone will chip in.)

That said, I don't think you're going to find anything of use in BIOS -- so far as I know, that's not where your Windows password lives.

• 1Thanks

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I may've misunderstood the OP. Do you reach a Windows login screen? If so, your drive is alive and booting properly. Looking at the BIOS settings can only tell you that the fixed disk is available or not. But it is if you're seeing Windows at all.

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Are you using Windows 10? If so, there's a thread on Microsoft's answers forum that may help. The thread is really lengthy, but there's a post near the bottom of page 1 that details how to get in to Recovery Environment and activate the built-in administrator account. Once you do that and log in with that account, the post goes into deleting your user account. That seems extreme to me, so I would first go in using the built-in administrator account and edit your user account to change your password, then try logging onto your user account with the new password. Make sure you are connected to the Internet when you do all that.

Here's the thread: Windows 10 won't accept password at login

• 1Like

Marita

Still mostly just Lurking
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
SLU Posts
I'm confused as to which PW is causing the problem for you.

If it is windows itself just get a windows PW reset program ... used them before and all are fairly easy. Save the program to a CD or USB Mem stick and boot from there and follow instruction for the program.

If it is BIOS PW below are 2 links that may help ... remove the spaces in the WWW below
w w w.wikihow.com/Reset-a-BIOS-Password
w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxwvCu8XJc

BIOS PW's are from Corporate/Organization type devices ... they like control of their property.

• 1Thanks

Robert Jung

Are you using Windows 10? If so, there's a thread on Microsoft's answers forum that may help. The thread is really lengthy, but there's a post near the bottom of page 1 that details how to get in to Recovery Environment and activate the built-in administrator account. Once you do that and log in with that account, the post goes into deleting your user account. That seems extreme to me, so I would first go in using the built-in administrator account and edit your user account to change your password, then try logging onto your user account with the new password. Make sure you are connected to the Internet when you do all that.

Here's the thread: Windows 10 won't accept password at login
The nbuilt in administrator account uses th e "sttqrt paage" but I dont hqve aa syaaatt page I need to log in with my password befoee I can access "start"

Etaa: i cant type good on a tablet!

Robert Jung

Apparently,it is possible to bring up Cmd prompt before loggging in by Cntro Alt PRINTSCREEJ ibut that is aa s far as I've c tton so far

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Apparently,it is possible to bring up Cmd prompt before loggging in by Cntro Alt PRINTSCREEJ ibut that is aa s far as I've c tton so far
I'm not familiar with that key combo, but if it works, run with it.

At the command prompt, type:

net user username new-password

where username is your Windows login name, and new-password is a new password you want to use. Press enter, then reboot. You should be able to log in with your new password.