California is Burning

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
The Camp Fire in the Chico area of Butte County grew slightly to 152,250 acres, and is now 75 percent contained. The death toll increased by two, now at 81. Rain is forecast for the area starting tomorrow, and it will be heavy at times, raising concerns about mudslides and areal flooding.
Camp Fire Latest Tuesday, November 20: 75 percent contained, 152,250 acres burned | KRCR

The Woolsey Fire burning east of Thousand Oaks in Ventura and Los Angeles Counties remains at 96,949 acres with containment now up to 98 percent. Rain is forecast for the area starting tomorrow, and there is strong concern for mudslides, particularly in the burn areas. A Los Angeles County man has filed a lawsuit against Southern California Edison, blaming the electric utility company for starting the Woolsey Fire.
Residents affected by Woolsey Fire in LA, Ventura counties prepare for rain, possibility of mudslides | KABC

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
It is raining off and on in Butte County, which is helping firefighting efforts with the Camp Fire. The fire is up to 153,336 acres and is now 85 percent contained. Two more bodies have been discovered, bringing the death toll to 83. 563 people are still reported missing. Rain is forecast for the area through Friday, which is raising concerns of flash flooding and mud and ash slides in the burn area.
Camp Fire Latest Wednesday, November 21: 85 percent contained, 153,336 acres burned | KRCR
Camp Fire death toll reaches 83, with 563 missing, as rain hits Paradise region | Fresno Bee

The Woolsey Fire east of Thousand Oaks in Ventura and Los Angeles Counties is now fully contained, according to CalFire. It has burned a total of 96,949 acres between Malibu/Calabasas and Simi Valley, destroyed 1500 structures, damaged 341 others, and claimed three lives since the fire started nearly two weeks ago.
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/2282

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Evacuees from the Camp Fire that devastated the city of Paradise in Butte County were treated to a Thanksgiving dinner prepared by volunteers organized by the World Central Kitchen, giving them a few hours of normalcy in a world of chaos. The fire, meanwhile, has been halted at 153,336 acres, and is now 95 percent contained. Rain in northern and central California provided relief from the smoky air, bringing air quality back to the good to moderate range for most of the region. It had been unhealthful to hazardous for the past couple of weeks.
Camp Fire Thanksgiving: ‘We lost everything, but we still have our hearts’ | Reno Gazette Journal
Camp Fire Latest Thursday, November 22: 95 percent contained, 153,336 acres burned | KRCR

Tigar

A Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
So maybe this is some evil plan he had to trick another wave of migrations of Finns here? This time with rakes?
When I first read that, I thought you said “This time with cakes 🎂
I was thinking 🤔 “I welcome 🙏🏽 our new Finnish overlords bearing cake 🍰 , but can there also be pie 🥧?”

Last edited:

Tigar

A Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
That sure reminds me of the Apple 🍎 and mincemeat pie 🥧 with vanilla I scream onna side wif cinnamon sprinkled on top that my grandma 👵 useta make way back when I was a kitten.

This Tigar 🐅 totally approves of our new Finnish pie 🥧 and cake 🎂 bearing overlords.

Last edited:
  • 1Pie
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That sure reminds me of the Apple 🍎 and mincemeat pie 🥧 with vanilla I scream onna side wif cinnamon sprinkled on top that my grandma 👵 useta make way back when I was a kitten.

This Tigar 🐅 totally approves of our new Finnish pie 🥧 and cake 🎂 bearing overlords.
It was what came up when I googled for Finfish vegan pie. It is an apple pie, I was actually surprised it was not the one further down actually, this is a vegan version of a traditional Finnish pie (karelian pie, which is a rye crust around a rice mixture).

• 1Like
  • 1Pie
Reactions: Tigar and Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
The Camp Fire in Butte County remains held at 153,336 acres, and is now 98 percent contained. Rain in the area this weekend has helped halt the blaze, but has also made it very difficult for firefighters to complete the containment lines, as the uncontained portion of the fire is in rocky, steep terrain that is unsafe to access when wet. Three more bodies have been found in the burn area, bringing the death toll to 87.
More bodies found as Camp Fire crews close in on full containment | San Francisco Chronicle
Saturday update: Death count rises to 87; Camp Fire containment hindered by rain | Chico Enterprise-Record

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
The Camp Fire which destroyed the city of Paradise and ravaged Butte County over the past two and a half weeks is now fully contained as of this morning. The fire, which started the morning of November 8th, burned 153,336 acres, destroyed 18,793 structures, most of them residences, and displaced thousands of people. 85 deaths have been attributed to the fire, after the death count was amended. This has been the deadliest and most destructive fire in California history. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
As Camp Fire reaches 100 percent containment, death count drops due to authorities’ error | Sacramento Bee
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/2277

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Looks like Pacific Gas & Electric may be trying to weasel their way out of financial responsibility for the wildfires their equipment is believed to have caused:
Exclusive: California utility PG&E explores bankruptcy filing - sources | Reuters
And today..

Text-Only NPR.org : California Power Provider PG&E Files For Bankruptcy In Wake Of Fire Lawsuits

Faced with billions of dollars in potential liabilities from two years of devastating Northern California wildfires as well as the specter of future catastrophic blazes, California's Pacific Gas and Electric, one of the nation's largest utilities, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday.

The state is investigating PG&E's culpability in November's Butte County fire that killed at least 86 people and incinerated some 14,000 homes and buildings in and around the town of Paradise, Calif.

The utility says it has no choice but to file for Chapter 11 given the flood of lawsuits and wildfire liabilities it estimates could be up to $30 billion. Ratings agencies have reduced its stock to "junk" status.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Wildfire season in California is off to a start, with five active fires on CalFire's tracker - including one just ten miles from where I live, due to a recent spate of dry lightning storms around the state. Thankfully, these fires are all small and being handled, but an unusually wet winter followed by a predicted hot, dry summer doesn't bode well.

Meanwhile, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), the utility provider for much of northern California, has announced that, in the wake of last year's destructive Camp Fire, they will begin cutting off electricity in vulnerable areas during high fire risk periods, such as days with high hot, dry winds. These outages could effect localized areas or an entire region, depending on which lines they decide to shut off. I'm not a PG&E customer, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about arbitrarily losing my electricity on days when I'd need it the most. I'm anticipating many claims for spoiled food and heat exhaustion in the future.