California is Burning

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
The Kincade Fire in Sonoma County continues to grow, though not as much as it had been. It is now at 76,138 acres. Containment, however, has not improved; it is still at fifteen percent. The fire has destroyed at least 189 structures and damaged 36 others, with 90,000 structures still imminently threatened. The northeast end of the fire is spreading into Lake and Napa Counties. Officials estimate that, even after full containment, the fire could continue to burn for "weeks, even months." Strong winds with hurricane-force wind gusts are expected tonight through Thursday, and most of northern California is under a Red Flag Warning for high fire danger. For the third time this month, PG&E will be cutting off, or has already cut off power to nearly 600,000 customers, or approximately 1.8 million people throughout northern California.

The Tick Fire in the Santa Clarita Valley area of northern Los Angeles County remains at 4,615 acres and is now 90 percent contained.

The Getty Fire burning in the Sepulveda Hills area of Los Angeles County has burned more than 650 acres since yesterday and is only 15 percent contained. The fire has destroyed at least 12 homes in the affluent Brentwood area near Interstate 405. The National Weather Service has issued a rare "Extreme Red Flag Warning" for the area as the strongest winds seen since 2007, along with critically low humidity, is forecast for the area through tonight into tomorrow. All evacuations remain in effect until at least tomorrow. The cause of the fire has been determined to be a tree branch that fell across high voltage power transmission lines.

Statewide, 43 counties are under Red Flag Warnings for high fire danger, and there are more than a dozen wildfires burning up and down the state, including the Kincade, Tick, and Getty Fires.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Breaking: Problems still abound for the Southland as yet another wildfire has ignited in the Simi Valley area of Ventura County this morning. Dubbed the Easy Fire, it has already charred more than 1,300 acres and is threatening 6,500 homes along with the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, driven by strong Santa Ana winds gusting to hurricane-force. There is no word on containment at this time.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Breaking: Another Southland fire erupted this morning, this time in Riverside County west of the City of Riverside. The Hill Fire has quickly grown to 100 acres in the strong Santa Ana winds, forcing evacuations in Jurupa Valley and closing the State Route 60 freeway. There is no containment at this time.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Despite gusty winds and critically low humidity, firefighters fighting the Kincade Fire in Sonoma County have managed to both limit growth, reaching 76,825 acres this morning, and increase containment to 45 percent today. There were losses, however. So far, 266 structures - half of them houses - were destroyed in the fire, and 47 others sustained damage. More than 90,000 structures are still threatened.

Down south, it's looking more apocalyptic. First, the good news: Firefighters kept the Tick Fire from escaping containment. It is now 98 percent contained.

The Getty Fire in the Sepulveda Pass area of Los Angeles County has grown to 745 acres, but containment has improved to 27 percent, and most of the evacuation orders have been lifted, with hope that the ones remaining will be lifted tomorrow morning. At least twelve structures have been destroyed, with another five damaged.

The Easy Fire in Ventura County's Simi Valley has chewed up 1,648 acres, threatening 6,500 homes along with the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, and had closed the State Route 23 freeway. The fire is still completely out of control with no containment, according to Ventura County Fire. Approximately 30,000 residents have been ordered evacuated. Simi Valley is also home to many horse ranches, which also had to be evacuated.

Forward progress of the Hill Fire, which ignited this morning in Riverside County's Jurupa Valley west of Riverside, has been halted at 628 acres, permitting all evacuation orders for the area to be lifted. Earlier in the day, the fire had closed the State Route 60 freeway, which had since reopened. The fire is currently 15 percent contained.

All together, there are ten active fires burning within the State of California, which includes the Old Water, Palisades and Saddle Ridge fires, all of which are burning in Southern California; and the Caples and Burris fires in Northern California.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Asher on top of it all, right-wing trolls gloating and blaming the fires on Nancy Pelosi or whatever other Dem they can.
But, gloating because California is a blue state--😡😡.
I live in a red county, as is much of the Central Valley. I've often heard people saying they're going to leave California because "Democrats are fucking it all up."

I've offered to help them pack.

Romana

SL Rez
I live in a red county, as is much of the Central Valley. I've often heard people saying they're going to leave California because "Democrats are fucking it all up."

I've offered to help them pack.
Are they really stupid enough to think that the Democrats started the fires? Or directed the Santa Ana?
Well, I guess it makes right wing sence. They don't believe in climate change (or anything climate-related) so it must be the Democrats or the Deep State. 🙄

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I’m seriously wondering what right wing talk radio is telling people. Yesterday, I had a cab driver tell me that the reason PG&E didn’t clear trees near wires was that they “weren’t allowed to.” I told him that the real reason was that they put it off to avoid spending money, but they were certainly allowed to. So another example of the right wing being told the libs caused the fires.

• 2Facepalm
Reactions: Romana and Ava Glasgow

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
I’m seriously wondering what right wing talk radio is telling people. Yesterday, I had a cab driver tell me that the reason PG&E didn’t clear trees near wires was that they “weren’t allowed to.” I told him that the real reason was that they put it off to avoid spending money, but they were certainly allowed to. So another example of the right wing being told the libs caused the fires.
I assume they think (...) clearing trees is something that would lead to global warming, so of COURSE they're not allowed to.

• 1Agree

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Yep, I had someone "explain" to me that the reason California has so many wildfires is because of forest mismanagement - namely, that we don't rake our forests and have allowed treehuggers to ban logging. I literally facepalmed and walked away. Life is too short to try to fix stupid.

• 1Agree

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Okay, let's see if I can keep track of what's happened today:

The Kincade Fire in Sonoma County has now charred 77,758 acres, but firefighters now have it 65 percent contained. The fire has destroyed at least 349 structures - 165 of them houses - and damaged 55 others. Cooler, calmer weather is forecast for the area, which should help in the firefight. Four firefighters have been injured fighting the blaze. Evacuation orders have been lifted for 140,000 residents, but 6,000 remain under evacuation orders. Officials hope to have the fire fully contained by next Thursday.

Down in the Southland, strong Santa Ana winds and bone-dry humidity levels of between 2 to 6 percent have made life difficult for firefighters and residents alike.

The Getty Fire in the Sepulveda Pass area of Los Angeles County has been halted at 745 acres, with containment now at 39 percent.

Firefighters have managed to gain some control of the Easy Fire burning in the Simi Valley area of Ventura County, which has grown to 1,723 acres. Containment is at 60 percent. All evacuation orders have been lifted for the area. There have been no human casualties in the fire, but many animals in burned-out ranches have died.

The Hill Fire in Riverside County's Jurupa Valley west of the City of Riverside is now 90 percent contained, being held at 628 acres.

Three new fires ignited today in the Southland:

One fire started earlier today in Jurupa Valley near the Hill Fire, and quickly spread toward Riverside in Riverside County. Dubbed the 46 Fire, it is currently at 300 acres and at 50 percent containment. The fire started as a result of a police pursuit of a stolen vehicle that ultimately crashed in a field and caught fire. The two suspects in the pursuit have been arrested and are facing numerous charges to include arson. At least three homes and two outbuildings were destroyed by the fire.

Another fire broke out near San Bernardino in San Bernardino County. The Hillside Fire ignited near State Route 18 and quickly gobbled up over 200 acres, destroying a number of structures along the way - six homes were destroyed, and 18 others sustained damage from the fire. The fire is currently 50 percent contained, according to San Bernardino County Fire Department.

The latest fire to break out is the Maria Fire near the Ventura County town of Santa Paula. The fire ignited earlier this evening and exploded to more than 4,000 acres. It is currently burning out of control with no containment. Numerous evacuations have been ordered for the area. There are no other details at this time.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
It's for sure not a good time to be an employee of PG&E at this moment, because some frustrated customers already shot at your colleagues.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Breaking: The Maria Fire near Santa Paula in Ventura County has more than doubled in size to 9,000 acres, or about 14 square miles, and is still raging completely out of control. More than 8,000 residents have been ordered to evacuate. To compound the problem, aerial attack on the fire had to be postponed because someone was flying a drone over the area.