Calamities and US Politics

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Many of us have been following the Coronavirus (or Covid-19 if you prefer) news and what the world and US is doing about it. It is clear the US is doing very little. If you disagree with that, there is little point of reading any more of this post. If the world survives the virus relatively unscathed it is far from the only thing that could take down the US and world economy that we weren't expecting.

The black death took out 10% of the world's population in the 1300s. If it happens that even much smaller percentages die here, and the economy starts falling apart I suspect Trump and the current government will start imposing draconian measures that they probably hope will end in a dictatorship. Who is here to fight them? I don't see Biden or Sanders making the news about the virus. I have no idea if they have made statements about it. A look at Biden's vision page and Sanders's issues page doesn't even mention it. All I found searching Google news was one answer from Biden responding to a reporter's question.

It's a US and world crisis. Shouldn't they be speaking loudly about it?

There are no really strong candidates anymore. There weren't a month ago either. It's all so pathetic. If the orange one decides to declare a national emergency and become dictator the democrats and everyone else is too spineless, self interested or unconcerned to stop him.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Many of us have been following the Coronavirus (or Covid-19 if you prefer) news and what the world and US is doing about it. It is clear the US is doing very little. If you disagree with that, there is little point of reading any more of this post. If the world survives the virus relatively unscathed it is far from the only thing that could take down the US and world economy that we weren't expecting.

The black death took out 10% of the world's population in the 1300s. If it happens that even much smaller percentages die here, and the economy starts falling apart I suspect Trump and the current government will start imposing draconian measures that they probably hope will end in a dictatorship. Who is here to fight them? I don't see Biden or Sanders making the news about the virus. I have no idea if they have made statements about it. A look at Biden's vision page and Sanders's issues page doesn't even mention it. All I found searching Google news was one answer from Biden responding to a reporter's question.

There are no really strong candidates anymore. There weren't a month ago either. It's all so pathetic. If the orange one decides to declare a national emergency and become dictator the democrats and everyone else is too spineless, self interested or unconcerned to stop him.
The only decisive action I’ve seen yet has come at the city or state level. It’s going to matter a lot where someone lives, which has been true for healthcare for a while now.

Example:

Standing up to the healthcare and insurance industry has become politically risky in some places, and we’re all going to be paying for that. It’s a scam of the worst sort.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
A look at Biden's vision page and Sanders's issues page doesn't even mention it. All I found searching Google news was one answer from Biden responding to a reporter's question.

Sanders has called Trump's Coronavirus guidance "the stupidest advice ever", has ripped Pence's pray-for-it response, called Trump's comments "reckless". He's calling for the testing, quarantine and eventual vaccine to be free, and has started a petition to that effect.

NY Governor Cuomo made a directive (not sure it has the force of law) requiring NY insurers to waive cost sharing associated with treatment, testing, office visits (he's talking about coinsurance, deductibles, etc).

Articles to this effect, from a few days ago. If you're not finding them, maybe google is being google.

Bernie Sanders: We need scientists, not politicians, in charge of the coronavirus response (opinion piece written by Bernie Sanders in USA Today)

Last edited: