Bye bye to The Lincoln Project

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, not quite yet. But things aren't looking too good there right now.

If the meteoric rise of the Lincoln Project—a collection of longtime Republican operatives who branded themselves Never-Trumpers—seemed to happen overnight, the organization’s downfall has been just as dramatic. In the course of a week, damning report after damning report has come out about the group: that cofounder John Weaver allegedly sexually harassed more than 20 young men (allegations he acknowledged in an apology); that it funneled more than $50 million of the roughly $90 million it raised into firms with ties to its members; that senior members of the independent legal team hired by the Lincoln Project to perform a “comprehensive review” of its “operations and culture” are in fact donors to the super PAC themselves. That executives at the organization—including Steve Schmidt—may have known about allegations against Weaver before they were made public. (Schmidt has denied prior knowledge of the allegations. In a statement, the Lincoln Project said it had been “betrayed and deceived” by Weaver.) If true, the stories, which have blasted through the group with bombshell force, represent a spectacular and horrific denouement.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
They are a scary group of ppl anyway.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts

I only watched for the memes :)

Any reports like this automatically make me skeptical regarding motivations. The Lincoln Project was a major thorn in Trumpie's side. Who's promoting the idea that it's failing?

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
This alarms me because I fear we may come away with a much more openly fascist Republican party after CPAC this year. I don't like the Lincoln Project's conservatism. But, I'll take it any day over the racist, misogynist, genocidal climate deniers that want to turn us into an autocracy.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Sooo..hmm...one might say that they have acted like Republicans?

Sid

Searching for words
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
They did some great campaigning against Trump.
It would be nice if they could force a split in the Republican party IMHO.
So to me, it is a bit a shame they have internal affairs.

Divide and conquer.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
They did some great campaigning against Trump.
It would be nice if they could force a split in the Republican party IMHO.
So to me, it is a bit a shame they have internal affairs.

Divide and conquer.
The split within the Republican party is in the process of taking place, I think.

Mitch McConnell and Trump are openly hostile now, and we can only watch how things develop over the coming months and years, as the various personalities and factions rise and fall -- the question is, really, what sort of a state are they going to be in to fight elections in two or four years' time.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I only watched for the memes :)

Any reports like this automatically make me skeptical regarding motivations. The Lincoln Project was a major thorn in Trumpie's side. Who's promoting the idea that it's failing?
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that was being pushed by Trump allies, similarly -minded pols life dictator -in -waiting Hawley, MAGAs, Qballs, or even foreign actors.
Whoever would benefit from a Trump return or new autocrat.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

As much as I despise the GOP, this group of people did the whole country a huge favor by helping remove the Orange Trumpasaurus from the Oval Office. While I'm not saying we should ever trust them, it would be a shame for them to self-destruct in this way.

Jopsy Pendragon

Democracy was a nice experiment while it lasted.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
As much as I despise the GOP, this group of people did the whole country a huge favor by helping remove the Orange Trumpasaurus from the Oval Office. While I'm not saying we should ever trust them, it would be a shame for them to self-destruct in this way.
Yeah early on it was pointed out that it was a bunch of right-wingers basically looking to soak up donations from the left for pandering videos that would ultimately never change minds anyway, because we all know the maggots weren't watching any of them.

Orange Trumpasaurus... hm. My brain's auto-corrupt made me think you said "orange tanTRUM Puss" at first glance. I almost like that better. "Tantrum puss". Yeah.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Yeah early on it was pointed out that it was a bunch of right-wingers basically looking to soak up donations from the left for pandering videos that would ultimately never change minds anyway, because we all know the maggots weren't watching any of them.

Orange Trumpasaurus... hm. My brain's auto-corrupt made me think you said "orange tanTRUM Puss" at first glance. I almost like that better. "Tantrum puss". Yeah.
I'm pretty sure they were aimed at Cheetolini and people who are republicans, but not magats.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
looking to soak up donations from the left for pandering videos
These clowns, Avenatti, one grifter after the other. They sold entertainment at best. Oh, and Biden/Harris swag in their web shop with no idea where the money went. Or maybe we do have an idea now, with them all trying to rip each other off.

If anyone feels they got entertainment value for the money, more power to them. As for results, well, LP is an example of how a Q grift works on the left.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I don't trust any of these jokers. And I sure as 💩 didn't give them money.
They said the things that needed to be said, though, that the Dems, in general, didn't, or didn't do enough.
There are others out there; Meidas Touch, ReallyAmerican.com, but LP had some hard hitting ads, and I think we need silk the help we can get against Hitler Jr wannabes.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Without access to the private polling and focus groups the various campaigns and pacs will must been running (and which is highly confidential most of the time) and without knowing more about their various media strategies, how do we begin to assess which ads were successful and which weren't?

I'm not even sure what criteria to use for success, since different campaigns will have been directed towards different audiences, with different goals.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, apparently, on average, Trump did about 5% as well as other republicans. I'd wager that the LP ads did -some- good. Its just they didn't have much of an impact on most Dems, because they weren't the target audience.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid