Building Best Practices Questions

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
Oct 29, 2018
SL, Kitely, IMVU
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
When putting together costumes in SL or Kitely, sometimes I need to link my own invisible root prim/plane to something.
What’s the best way to do it with the least render cost?

Make and upload a tiny single-face mesh plane that I’m assuming weighs less than any inworld-made prim? Then...
Use Blank texture, 100% transparency? Or...
Use the Alpha choice in the texture chooser? Or...
Use a tiny alpha I upload?
Am I missing the best practices building wiki somewhere that has these types of answers?
Because I’ve tried googling this several ways to no avail.

Sep 20, 2018
A single triangle mesh is technically best, but a cube is honestly fine, and if you really wanted to, you can taper it into a pyramid and mess with path cuts to shave off even more triangles. Texture-wise, a default blank textue is the way to go since it's only 32x32, though the best thing would be a 2x2 texture if you wanted to get as low as possible.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
Oct 29, 2018
SL, Kitely, IMVU
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
And what about the ones that need to be invisible? Use blank 2x2 and 100% transparency or use my own uploaded 2x2 alpha texture? Or no difference?

Sep 20, 2018
It doesn't matter since it'd be alpha either way.

Protip time! Search debug settings for:
UIImgWhiteUUID
and set the UUID there to 76ee18fe-47d1-4375-d194-44fdae1b24be .

Then search for:
UIImgTransparentUUID

and set that UUID to 77662f23-c77a-9b4d-5558-26b757b2144c .

This will make your viewer's default blank and transparent textures 2x2 versions from now on.

Last edited:
  • Like Like 4
  • Thanks Thanks 2
  • Useful Useful 2
  • Love Love 1
  • Show all
Dec 25, 2018
A Prim Cube has 48 triangles on all LOD levels, that adds 404 complexity. So those are not good. An own uploaded single triangle is the best.

If you have a blank texture and set it to 100% transparent or if it is a transparent texture and you set it additionally to 100% transparent, doesn't make a difference. But you might want to use a texture that's already in the SL library instead of uploading your own, because the one in the library is already everywhere and used by different items.
Like there is always some item somewhere in the region that uses the default blank texture somewhere, even if it was just because they forgot to set it to something else, so you can be sure that it is already in the cache of every viewer and doesn't have to be downloaded.

And transparency set to 100% is better than just a transparent texture. A transparent texture alone can still cause some alpha glitches.

Also you may want to set Physic Shape to None. Not because its relevant for an attachment, but because its a good thing to do in general and a nice habit.
Way too many things in SL have complex physic shapes enabled that they don't need at all, causing Server lag.
Edit: Setting and object to Phantom does not disable its physic shape. That's a common misconception. A phantom object still calculates collisions. Physic Shape: None is what most people are looking for.

Sep 26, 2018
A Prim Cube has 48 triangles on all LOD levels, that adds 404 complexity. So those are not good. An own uploaded single triangle is the best.

If you have a blank texture and set it to 100% transparent or if it is a transparent texture and you set it additionally to 100% transparent, doesn't make a difference. But you might want to use a texture that's already in the SL library instead of uploading your own, because the one in the library is already everywhere and used by different items.
Like there is always some item somewhere in the region that uses the default blank texture somewhere, even if it was just because they forgot to set it to something else, so you can be sure that it is already in the cache of every viewer and doesn't have to be downloaded.

And transparency set to 100% is better than just a transparent texture. A transparent texture alone can still cause some alpha glitches.

Also you may want to set Physic Shape to None. Not because its relevant for an attachment, but because its a good thing to do in general and a nice habit.
Way too many things in SL have complex physic shapes enabled that they don't need at all, causing Server lag.
Edit: Setting and object to Phantom does not disable its physic shape. That's a common misconception. A phantom object still calculates collisions. Physic Shape: None is what most people are looking for.
Maybe things have moved on and I haven't caught up, but the last time I looked you had to have a root prim with prim physics in order to link prims and give them a physics shape none setting? And I can't see how you would do this on an attachment. It was impossible to make a link set all physics shape none... unless this has changed?

Jan 16, 2019
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Maybe things have moved on and I haven't caught up, but the last time I looked you had to have a root prim with prim physics in order to link prims and give them a physics shape none setting? And I can't see how you would do this on an attachment. It was impossible to make a link set all physics shape none... unless this has changed?
You're absolut right, the root prim cannot set to shape NONE, set it to CONVEX using a mesh triangle or plane without physics as said above.
All childs can be set to NONE. To do the changes the object have to be ground-rezzed, NOT worn.