Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I am putting this here because, although it is about WoW, it is about the much bigger topic of how people are able to experience lives online that transcend the limits of their physical lives. It is a long, beautiful read and it made me cry like a baby.

My disabled son’s amazing gaming life in the World of Warcraft

Tigar

🐯has been known to sip Tabasco from the bottle🐯
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 21, 2018
Mourning Woods
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
That’s a happy kinda sad I clicked above.
I think what I mean ta say is; he had a full life, even if it is online. It’s still a life.

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A similar thing happened to my Brother's best friend. He had apparently "run away from home" although he was an adult and nothing much could be done since it fell just outside of the limits of a missing persons investigation. He had unexpectedly turned up at an internet friend's door in the United States. Three days later, after a trip to a firing range, he shot himself in front of said Internet friends entire family. It took a bit for this internet friend's family to A) Figure out where his family is, and B) that they didn't know where on earth he had gone to, let alone another country. It also took a long time for the body to be shipped back to Canada. At the funeral, about 100 different internet friends showed up. There were even multiple people of both genders claiming to be in a polyamorous relationship with him. Almost all of the friends had stories of him comforting them in times of need, giving lavish gifts via mail, and being a great gaming partner in multiplayer mode. This young mans own family had no clue he even had a single online friend, let alone 100 of them.

Despite the the double life, the length of this man's online kindness was mostly contrary to his RL personality. He had a schizotypal personality disorder it turns out and my brother was his single RL confidant, and even that was simply another more local online friendship after high school. His own family described him as icy and mostly mute in real life, as well as being prone to bouts of extreme selfishness, paranoia, and strange behavior.

Whatever it was that he found difficult about human interaction in the real world, my Brother and I both feel that his real personality shined through online. I don't think his family would have found out that their eccentric, sometimes angry, and very isolated son was like a ray of sunshine to so many people. Had he lived, however, he could have continued his many secret lives where he was so essential to such a large group.

It's worth pointing out that my brother is Autistic himself, and I have Autism with a lot of other disabilities and health issues. Especially since this friends death, we have branched out a lot online and have both busy and full online lives with friends, romantic relationships, social obligations, personal spaces, pets, and more. For the disabled, the retired, the mentally ill, the isolated, the future is already here. Humanity has already begun to download itself onto a computer system of mass consciousness.

Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I'm not crying, you're crying!

Oh man, talk about bittersweet. Thank you for sharing that, Cris.

Kavik

Monkeh Foo Master
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Shakopee, MN, USA
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 16th, 2006
SLU Posts
Beautiful story. It's always amazing to think of the impact you can have, if you allow it.