Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Ugh.

An English boy who eats nothing but French fries, potato chips and the occasional piece of ham has been left blind due to the extreme vitamin deficiency in his diet, doctors in Britain said in a report published Tuesday. One of the doctors behind the article in the Annals of Internal Medicine personally treated the "fussy eater" from Bristol over the course of three years, and said he was previously healthy and took no medicines.

"His diet was essentially a portion of chips (fries) from the local fish and chip shop every day," the doctor, Denize Atan, told CBS News partner network BBC News. "He also used to snack on crisps (chips) — Pringles — and sometimes slices of white bread and occasional slices of ham, and not really any fruit and vegetables."

[...]

The boy has what has been diagnosed since 2013 as "Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder" (ARFID). Previously known as Selective Eating Disorder, it can be dismissed by parents as simply being fussy. But the health implications are very real, and they're not limited to vision impairment.

Sid

Today's good mood is sponsored by coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Was it in the end the lack of ketchup or mayonaise that caused the problem?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Yeah, I want to put horseradish and capers on my steak and cheese sandwich. Maybe its a sign to prevent blindness.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
What did Helen Keller say when she fell off a cliff? Waves hands wildly.

Benjamin Opel

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
March, 2010
SLU Posts

Sid

Today's good mood is sponsored by coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It could be the vinegar a lot of Brits tend to poor over their fries to make it taiste awful.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
It could be the vinegar a lot of Brits tend to poor over their fries to make it taiste awful.
Sigh. The Brits aren't known for their culinary expertise but malt vinegar on fries is essential. Lots of it too.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Tirellia

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Only crisps and chips? What were they even thinking?

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Sigh. The Brits aren't known for their culinary expertise but malt vinegar on fries is essential. Lots of it too.
And americans are? Jeez... sweeping generalisation!

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Vinegar on the fries? Really? Bleccchhh! Surely this is not correct. That just leads to soggy, acidic fries. On the fish, though, that malt vinegar is great, and right in line with all sorts of uses of acidity to cut through fatty dishes. See, for example, American barbecue sauces which almost universally feature apple cider vinegar, or any number of French sauces that feature lemon juice or vinegar, such as Hollandaise or even the Dutch/Belgian fave for fries, mayonnaise. For that matter, the standard American topping for fries, ketchup, is vinegar based, too -- but it is properly applied just before eating the fry so as not to lead to sogginess.

As to the British culinary expertise, let us remember that many American impressions of English food were formed in the years post WWII when times were tough in Britain, and "luxury" foodstuffs -- like steaks or fresh veg -- were non-existent. From what I have read, they have some magnificent eating and a thriving culinary scene now.

However, if one of our English friends comes along and assures me that "fries with plenty of vinegar" is delicious, I'll need to rethink that.

Last edited:

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
You haven’t lived unless your fish and chips are swimming in vinegar... or more commonly for those with a religious aversion to alcohol - non-brewed condiment!

Getting a face full of vinegar fumes as you open a paper wrapped fish supper is a ritual I’ll never tire of.

I guess it’s what you’ve been brought up with. Vinegar on anything is an acquired taste, but with added salt and because your parents and peers say it’s amazing, you get used to it from a young age. It’s certainly not cordon-bleu or even fine-dining.

Last edited:
SL Rez
SLU Posts
And americans are? Jeez... sweeping generalisation!
I never said that! Americans in general have bad taste but their are regional exceptions like NY/NJ pizza or southern bbq.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Mah dude breaks down what happened here: