Brexit.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
The graininess of the picture makes it look like they are digging graves in preparation for Brexit.

"Dig for Brexit and get [a cemetary] allotment"

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
And now it's time for some propaganda from Downing Street 10; so basically what Johnson is saying here is that the EU sticks to the WA because they do know it won't pass the HoC in order to force the UK to stay.

Last edited:
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Govi

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
‘A lot of the negativity about a no-deal Brexit has been wildly overdone’ — Boris Johnson on July 2 :beatup:
Who is he talking to? I am guessing people who have a good chance of being affected (like on a life saving med that has to be imported) do not consider it overblown.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
You've all seen that gif of Bugs sawing off Florida.

How many carrots do we need to pay him in order for him to do the same from the Solway to Marshall Meadows Bay?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The upcoming wednesday BoJo is going to visit chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin.
Hopefully he takes some serious possible solutions with him, if he wants changes in the agreement.
With only a few samples of "I want this and I demand that" in his briefcase he will not do much good.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hopefully he takes some serious possible solutions with him, if he wants changes in the agreement.
With only a few samples of "I want this and I demand that" in his briefcase he will not do much good.
Maybe he should talk to donnie. According to him he is the bestest dealmaker (I guess in kindergarten).

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I'm starting to think there will be a further extension after 31st October. There are MPs joining up for a no confidence vote sometime in September and then a general election is likely to happen.

Today the EU rejects Boris Johnson request to remove backstop.
Am I misunderstanding this? Didn't he just explain quite clearly that his "plan" to get concessions has absolutely no hope whatsoever of ever succeeding and then immediately say he thought it would work? :confusedcat:

Daniel Voyager

Am I misunderstanding this? Didn't he just explain quite clearly that his "plan" to get concessions has absolutely no hope whatsoever of ever succeeding and then immediately say he thought it would work? :confusedcat:
September and October is going to be very rough

Daniel Voyager

We have had the May bot saying we would leave on March 29th and now the Boris bot saying we will leave on 31st October.

Nothing will change with the EU I think. It's got to be a hard no deal or a change of government to sort Brexit out.

If there was a general election I don't think the remainer parties would get a huge majority. If this happened after 31st October the Tory and Labour parties would be wiped out.

Stora

SL Rez
Merkel: Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days'

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has suggested an alternative to the Irish border backstop - a key Brexit sticking point - could be found within 30 days.
Speaking at a press conference alongside Prime Minister Boris Johnson in Berlin, she stressed it would be up to the UK to offer a workable plan.
The PM said he was "more than happy" with that "blistering timetable".
He accepted the "onus" was on the UK, but said he believed there was "ample scope" for a new deal to be reached.

Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days'

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Other news sources are phrasing that somewhat differently. Instead of "Alternative possible in 30 days" it's "Uk has 30 days to avoid no deal"

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Stora

Luisa Land

Merkel: Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days'

Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days'

no, this is not what she said.
As an answer to the statements of the british government, that there are other options to solve the problem, she again requested the british side to provide such workable options en detail within the next 30 days. and convince the EU.

"Boris Johnson accepted that he had 30 days to persuade the EU that there was a viable alternative to the backstop. For the first time, he seemed to accept that it was up to the UK to come up with a solution, not the EU " writes the Guardien

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Stora

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
And Johnson had no other choice than to accept the challenge, he even had to pretend to be enthusiastic about it! 🤣

Ok Boris, no more excuses. Show us your unicorns!

Edit:
no, this is not what she said.
As an answer to the statements of the british government, that there are other options to solve the problem, she again requested the british side to provide such workable options en detail within the next 30 days. and convince the EU.

"Boris Johnson accepted that he had 30 days to persuade the EU that there was a viable alternative to the backstop. For the first time, he seemed to accept that it was up to the UK to come up with a solution, not the EU " writes the Guardien
That's how I understood Stora's post and the BBC article he linked to actually. I couldn't help noticing the article was a bit convoluted and the title slightly misleading though.

Anyway, what really matters is that Merkel has tricked Johnson into accepting that it's the UK's responsibility to find an alternative is they don't want the backstop. It's going to be very difficult for him to worm out of that.