Brexit.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Build that roundabout!

After the ill-fated Garden Bridge and the other vanity projects he gave us as Mayor of London, Boris Johnson now has even more grandiose bigger and better ideas:

Thread

Evernote link to original article because paywall

“Just as Hitler moved around imaginary armies in the dying days of the Third Reich, so the No 10 policy unit is condemned to keep looking at this idea, which exists primarily in the mind of the PM,” one informed source said. “The roundabout is round the bend.”

Nonetheless a formal proposal for a single tunnel has been submitted by the High-Speed Rail Group, an umbrella organisation for rail companies, to a review by Sir Peter Hendy, the chairman of Network Rail, which is supposed to find ways of improving transport links between the different parts of the UK.

• 1Interesting
  • 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort and Sid

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Can someone from the UK confirm this?
I am really wondering if that's really true?

Jobs and business lost because of Brexit are certainly being covered in the Guardian, Financial Times and The Times, which are the papers I look at most frequently.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Stora

SL Rez
I hate to say it, but Britain's doing OK. Even Germany envies us...

For those of us who like to talk Britain down, all this good news is hard to take. The vaccination figures are shocking. Nearly 20 million first doses administered. A forward-thinking procurement plan. The leading large nation, far ahead of the US and, more gallingly for us frothing Remoaners, miles ahead of Europe. Nothing could be more depressing for the honest self-loathing liberal Brit. You know the type. Recycle assiduously but fly once a fortnight.
I hate to say it, but Britain's doing OK. Even Germany envies us...

Found this tongue in the cheek post amusing, read it until the end :)

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Congratulations.
You're so lucky to have fine leaders like Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Gove and others.
And you have them at least until 2024.
Well played*.

*Only, if you need the German Bild, that makes the British Daily Mail look like a quality paper, to make a point .....

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Yes, by AstaZeneca helping them a lot by screwing the EU twice already.
Once there was a time that gentlemen agreements where a thingy in the UK. It seems to have shifted towards the EU.

But we'll get there as well with our vaccinations.
The dependence on the Oxford vaccine is waning, now more vaccines get approved.
Now the Jansen (Johnson & Johnson) jab is hitting the market that only needs one injection, things could speed up quickly.
We will be maybe a month or two later.

IMHO, after the first results of the real Brexit and the way the UK seems to want to play ball, the EU should distance as much as possible under the reached agreement from the UK, without undermining the Irish interests of course.
The UK wanted to be on their own. Let it be.
A cork in the Calais tunnel if needed.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Sure, blame the computer.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Next exciting date April 1.
Then all fresh products need health certifications for export to the UK.
This morning in my regional newspaper De Limburger (Translation Google):

Health certificates are required from 1 April for the export of fruit, vegetables, flowers and meat to the United Kingdom. But the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA) notices a month ahead of time that many companies are far from ready "for perhaps the most important Brexit day". Delays and high costs are looming.

Although the UK finally became a so-called third country on January 1, April 1 is perhaps the most important day for exporters. From that date, all agricultural products and foodstuffs to the United Kingdom, such as dairy, eggs, meat, vegetables, fruit and cut flowers, must have health certificates and those goods must be registered. The UK accounts for EUR 40 billion in annual exports.

According to the NVWA, which has hired an additional 143 people for the issue of health certificates, many companies still need to be shaken up. “I still hear companies asking what, for example, e-CertNL is, the electronic system where you have to arrange the application and issue these certificates,” says Peter Verbaas, Brexit coordinator at the NVWA. “If you still ask that question now, you simply do not have the automation and software in order, a month before everything has to be arranged.

Flowers

Poor preparation for Brexit can have disastrous consequences for trade. For example, with an export value of more than 850 million euros, the UK is the second largest export country for flower and plant growers.

Auction manager Leon Haasbroek of the Royal FloraHolland flower auction has already noticed that a slight delay may mean that flowers are less salable, while floriculture has to earn it in the spring. "Those extra checks may be at the most unfavorable time, precisely in the high season," says Daco Sol, responsible for logistics and supervision at GroentenFruit Huis, the interest group for fruit and vegetable traders in the Netherlands.

"Many of our members have experience exporting to distant countries, but the UK presents a new challenge, given the very large volumes and the speed at which deliveries are normally made."

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

The vote could potentially be delayed until late April to allow MEPs to follow the development of the Northern Ireland border issue.

The trade and security deal with the UK is provisionally in force but has yet to be formally ratified by the parliament. Its provisions would fall away if MEPs failed to give it their backing, leaving the UK with a no-deal outcome, including tariffs on goods.
The MEP Bernd Lange, chair of the parliament’s trade committee, tweeted an excerpt of a previous parliamentary resolution in a sign of the anger at the UK’s move.

“Still valid: ‘Should the UK authorities breach – or threaten to breach – the withdrawal agreement, through the United Kingdom internal market bill ... or in any other way, the European parliament will, under no circumstances, ratify any agreement between the EU and the UK’,” he wrote.
It is like with almost every divorce.
Staying friends or at least at speaking terms is the hardest part afterwards.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

It is like with almost every divorce.
Staying friends or at least at speaking terms is the hardest part afterwards.
Meanwhile, people will continue to travel, do business, and generally get on with their lives across borders, or not, as best they can.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I ordered tonight goods from the UK, first time this year.
Normally packages from the UK arrived within 3-5 working days, so it should be delivered before or on Friday or Monday max (I ordered quite late this evening).
I wonder how long it will actually take now.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Arkady Arkright

I wonder how long it will actually take now.
I (in the UK) have some Italian lights in my kitchen. I buy my bulbs in boxes of 10, and they are shipped direct from Italy. My last pre-brexit purchase attracted a delivery charge of £2.35 with 2 day delivery. I just went to re-order the same product. The actual bulbs cost the same, but the delivery charge is now £15.50, with a 2-week delivery time.

• 1Sad
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Sid