Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I tried unsuccessfuly to find a similar graphic for the RoI but my phone is less than ideal for searching. I did however find the tidbit that in case if a no deal Brexit the two most popular shipping routes would add 20 to 38 hours if they had to sail around Britain instead of traveling across the island. A portion of the traffic on the diagram is crossing the UK. The EU trade at Holyhead appears to be primarily to and from Dublin.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The Times reports that

A letter from Theresa May has led DUP leaders to fear she will renege on a promise to prevent any division between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK

A Brussels plan to put a customs border in the Irish Sea if there is no Brexit agreement will be included in a divorce deal, a leaked letter from Theresa May suggests.

The prime minister was accused last night of breaking her promise to the Democratic Unionist Party that she would never sign up to a deal that could allow Northern Ireland to be divided from the rest of the United Kingdom.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: Khamon and Govi

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
I tried unsuccessfuly to find a similar graphic for the RoI but my phone is less than ideal for searching. I did however find the tidbit that in case if a no deal Brexit the two most popular shipping routes would add 20 to 38 hours if they had to sail around Britain instead of traveling across the island. A portion of the traffic on the diagram is crossing the UK. The EU trade at Holyhead appears to be primarily to and from Dublin.
Post-Brexit shipping routes would mean spoiled Irish food

Reading the articles on this the UK land bridge route is almost entirely discounted as a viable means of transport post brexit due to the additional checks, delays and costs. So even though the sea route will add days it's still the only reasonable route for Ireland post brexit.

Given that Holyhead is on Holy island which is a small island connected to Anglesey by a couple of bridges and that Anglesey itself is also a small island connected to mainland Wales by a couple of bridges, it's a concern about how much planning has been put into handling disruptions at the port on the UK end. For Dover they plan on turning Kent's motorways into a lorry park but over in Anglesey if those mainland bridges become congested there will be a massive impact on the area.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Minister Jo Johnson quits over Brexit

Transport minister Jo Johnson has quit the government, calling for the public to have a fresh say on Brexit.

The MP, who is Boris Johnson's brother, said the UK was "barrelling towards an incoherent Brexit that is going to leave us trapped in a subordinate relationship to the EU".

It was "imperative" to "go back to the people and check they are content to proceed on this extraordinary basis".

He voted to remain in the EU while his brother was a leading Brexiteer.
ETA: More here: Jo Johnson quits as minister over Theresa May's Brexit plan

ETA 2:

Last edited: