Brexit.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
When The Times starts publishing stories like this about a Conservative Prime Minister, it's a sign he's in big trouble.

Evernote link because paywall

Maybe someone remembers this episode of Dr Who

I loved this observation:

As a backbench MP, with his Daily Telegraph column netting him £275,000 and lucrative speaking engagements, he was earning well in excess of £350,000 a year. His prime ministerial salary of about £150,000 might seem perfectly sufficient — but that is not what he actually receives. His use of the flat that he shares with his fiancée, Carrie Symonds, above Number 11 is taxed as a benefit in kind. Any food sent up from the Downing Street kitchen has to be paid for and if they want to have friends to stay at Chequers — Covid restrictions permitting — they receive a bill from the government.
The poor man -- unlike the rest of us, he and his wife actually have to pay for their food.

Furthermore,

Another friend added: “He’s always worried about money, he has a genuine need to provide for his family, all of them, and I think that does worry him.”
It's a hard life, indeed.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
When The Times starts publishing stories like this about a Conservative Prime Minister, it's a sign he's in big trouble.

Evernote link because paywall

Maybe someone remembers this episode of Dr Who

I loved this observation:

The poor man -- unlike the rest of us, he and his wife actually have to pay for their food.

Furthermore,

It's a hard life, indeed.
Wait... he doesn't pay child support for all the kids he left behind with his previous wives and affairs?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Wait... he doesn't pay child support for all the kids he left behind with his previous wives and affairs?
His oldest child, his and Marina Wheeler's first son, is 25 or 26, and I assume their second child must be an adult by now, too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Ariane

So let me get this straight.

A year ago, BoJo agreed to basically hand over Northern Ireland to Ireland in exchange for Brexit, while secretly agreeing with the ERG and DUP to reneg on the NI part of the agreement once Brexit is done and a US Free trade agreement happens -- forcing EU to keep the borders with NI down.

Then Brexit happened in February, and so did Covid-19. This slowed down talks with EU and US, but that was OK since BoJo did not need to reveal his plans until the last possible minute which is now.

BoJo announces he is ignoring the agreement with Northern Ireland, which upsets EU which apparently was his plan all along, and ALSO upsets the US, which was not his plan and now he sits with the likelihood of no agreement with anybody, and an economy destroying "No Deal Brexit" on its way in 2021, which is now pretty much impossible to stop.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
BoJo announces he is ignoring the agreement with Northern Ireland, which upsets EU which apparently was his plan all along, and ALSO upsets the US, which was not his plan and now he sits with the likelihood of no agreement with anybody, and an economy destroying "No Deal Brexit" on its way in 2021, which is now pretty much impossible to stop.
Pelosi already told in 2019 that there is no chance of the US-UK deal if Northern Ireland peace is at risk. BoJo could have known better, but then again he's not used to people sticking by their honest opinion because he changes his own so much he probably doesn't even know any longer what his own opinion is.

Pelosi in 2019: No chance of US-UK deal if Northern Ireland peace at risk – Pelosi

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

A year ago, BoJo agreed to basically hand over Northern Ireland to Ireland in exchange for Brexit, while secretly agreeing with the ERG and DUP to reneg on the NI part of the agreement once Brexit is done and a US Free trade agreement happens -- forcing EU to keep the borders with NI down.

Then Brexit happened in February, and so did Covid-19. This slowed down talks with EU and US, but that was OK since BoJo did not need to reveal his plans until the last possible minute which is now.

This UK's demeanour reminds me of the mutually exclusive secret treaties the German Empire negotiated in the 19th century - like the Reinsurance Treaty with Russia, which was in direct contradiction with the Dual Alliance between Germany and Austria, which was also secret.

Boris Johnson is no Bismarck, though - even if he's just as sketchy.

Maybe we should call him "dunce Bismarck" from now on?

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Bismarck believed in a god above him, which will give him ultimate judgement after death. I am convinced that Johnson does not believe in such a thing.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Yeah, he pretty much got everyone against him with that one. While the US may seem strange to other people we had a LOT of immigrants from there, so now it is hard to find someone that does not claim anscestry.

One of my anscestors was likely from there, however my parent's dna test says they were from england. I am guessing born in england than moved before emmigrating.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yeah, he pretty much got everyone against him with that one. While the US may seem strange to other people we had a LOT of immigrants from there, so now it is hard to find someone that does not claim anscestry.

One of my anscestors was likely from there, however my parent's dna test says they were from england. I am guessing born in england than moved before emmigrating.
The English (or Anglo-Normans, at least) first conquered parts of Ireland in the late 12th century, and there's been a fair bit of movement between the island of Ireland and the British mainland (including England) ever since, with the result that many Brits (including me) have some Irish ancestors.

Furthermore, since the British Army, the Royal Navy and the British merchant fleet recruited in Ireland as well as England, there must be millions upon millions of people all over the world with a few English and Irish great-[...] -great grandparents if you look back far enough.

ETA: Over the years, the criminal courts also sent plenty of men and women from all parts of the British Isles to the US and other colonies as indentured servants.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The western world has been such a melting pot since generations, that I think this whole DNA determination has very little significance when you try to find your ancestry if you don't have DNA directly from them or their close relatives.

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This UK's demeanour reminds me of the mutually exclusive secret treaties the German Empire negotiated in the 19th century - like the Reinsurance Treaty with Russia, which was in direct contradiction with the Dual Alliance between Germany and Austria, which was also secret.

Boris Johnson is no Bismarck, though - even if he's just as sketchy.

Maybe we should call him "dunce Bismarck" from now on?
Piss-mark Johnson.

• 1LOL
  • 1Like
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Sid

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The English (or Anglo-Normans, at least) first conquered parts of Ireland in the late 12th century, and there's been a fair bit of movement between the island of Ireland and the British mainland (including England) ever since, with the result that many Brits (including me) have some Irish ancestors.

Furthermore, since the British Army, the Royal Navy and the British merchant fleet recruited in Ireland as well as England, there must be millions upon millions of people all over the world with a few English and Irish great-[...] -great grandparents if you look back far enough.

ETA: Over the years, the criminal courts also sent plenty of men and women from all parts of the British Isles to the US and other colonies as indentured servants.
Their dna test place claimed it could tell the difference between irish dna and english dna. While there are some sequences clearly one or the other I am guessing a lot are unclear.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The western world has been such a melting pot since generations, that I think this whole DNA determination has very little significance when you try to find your ancestry if you don't have DNA directly from them or their close relatives.
My mom has a strange dna history. She was born in the US and was 94 pct Finnish. People born in Finland are 93 pct. She recently had the dna place tell her it was 100 so have no idea what happened there.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Their dna test place claimed it could tell the difference between irish dna and english dna. While there are some sequences clearly one or the other I am guessing a lot are unclear.
I don't doubt it, but what the DNA test couldn't tell you is the route by which that DNA found its way to the US, whether via your mother's or your father's side, and when it left Ireland and when, and how long it may have spent somewhere else before crossing the Atlantic.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I don't doubt it, but what the DNA test couldn't tell you is the route by which that DNA found its way to the US, whether via your mother's or your father's side, and when it left Ireland and when, and how long it may have spent somewhere else before crossing the Atlantic.
Actually it depends what you look at as some types of dna are matrilineal or patrilineal. It is also not hard to figure out whose is whose either. As close as you can get to all of her DNA was from Finland and most from my Dad's is from Denmark or the British Isles. So it is figuring out where that final bit came from.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts

tl:dr