Brexit.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
BoJo is back in office, and hard Brexit more and more looks like becoming a reality:

Barnier accused the UK of not engaging with key issues of particular importance to the EU, including access to British waters for European fishing fleet and the so-called level playing field conditions to ensure neither side can undercut environmental, labour and social standards.

EU sources added that UK officials “listened politely” to their proposals but did not seek to negotiate on them. “I regret it, and this worries me”, Barnier told reporters at a press conference at the end of last week’s talks.

The British negotiating team has rejected the claim, instead questioning the value of the deal being proposed by Brussels, which would tie the UK to EU regulations while also constructing significant non-tariff barriers on trade.

Whitehall sources said there was a difference between not engaging and simply disagreeing with the EU approach. There is a particular frustration on the UK side that the EU has rejected proposals to remove unnecessary technical barriers to trade, including some sanitary and phytosanitary checks on animal products, despite British commitments to maintain high standards and there being precedent in previous trade deals.

On security cooperation, the UK has argued in the negotiating room that the EU’s offer is based on existing deals but comes with unprecedented obligations, including a direct role for the European court of justice in dispute settlements: a red line for Downing Street.

Frost has ruled out an extension of the transition period. The UK believes there is ample time to agree and ratify a free-trade deal if the EU changes its position.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
There does not exist an epic enough facepalm meme for this.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I just like this comment about Farage: "Oh, go away, you moron. You really are like the turd that won't flush."

By the way after Farage smoked some weed he saw over 300 illegal migrant boat crossings this weekend alone:

Farage wrote a very long complaint to the police by the way. Of course it's on Twitter!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Like Farage or not, but he has a good point about his reporting and the police response. He's a journalist and journalists are allowed to go about their business of reporting. Kent police clearly have too many officers available.

• 1Eye Roll

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Like Farage or not, but he has a good point about his reporting and the police response. He's a journalist and journalists are allowed to go about their business of reporting. Kent police clearly have too many officers available.
He does a phone in programme for LBC, but was this part of a broadcast for them, or was he reporting for someone else?

Or can anyone decide that, whatever restrictions on travel there might be, they are citizen journalists who want to drive a hundred miles or so to the coast or the countryside and file reports on social media about conditions there?

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Please don't make me try to defend Nigel Farage. I don't have enough drink in the house!

I was tempted to say he's a 'journalist or a journalist (sort of) but I settled on journalist. He does write newspaper columns, he publishes stuff online and he has his radio show. I would still expect him to be able to conduct his research and record his pieces to camera without someone knocking on his door.

Alright, time to sanitise the keyboard, wash my hands and pour another drink.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
So no unicorns with golden horns?

• 1Sad

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So no unicorns with golden horns?
Johnson is a man entirely unconstrained by the inconveniences of shame or principle, personal or political, and it should have been obvious to the Unionists that, once he'd secured a comfortable Conservative majority and no longer needed them, his word was worthless.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Johnson is a man entirely unconstrained by the inconveniences of shame or principle, personal or political, and it should have been obvious to the Unionists that, once he'd secured a comfortable Conservative majority and no longer needed them, his word was worthless.
So that's a 'no' to Sid's question, then.

Also, unicorns have one horn. Singular! That's kind of their thing.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Also, unicorns have one horn. Singular! That's kind of their thing.
Also also:
One unicorn has a horn.
More unicorns have horns (one each)

So:
"So no unicorns with golden horns?" is just as good as: "So no unicorns with a golden horn?"

And furthermore the two most important rules in life:
Rule 1: The teacher is always right.
Rule 2: If not, than rule 1 applies.

Did I mention before, that I'm a teacher?

Last edited: