Sid

Coffee is always an excellent idea.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
No need to hurry dear British MP's. Take your time. Let the people guessing.
Were doing just fine.

Brexit: Netherlands talking to 250 firms about leaving UK

The Dutch government has said it is in talks with more than 250 companies about moving their operations from the UK to the Netherlands before Brexit.
The economic affairs ministry said it had lured 42 companies or branch offices and 1,923 jobs from the UK last year, as it increases its efforts to gain Brexit business.
Among those who have chosen to invest in the Netherlands are the Discovery Channel, Sony and Bloomberg.

The government report said another Japanese company, the investment bank Norinchukin, was also moving to Amsterdam, along with the global content company TVT Media, the financial services providers MarketAxess and Azimo, and the maritime insurer UK P&I Club.
And the Dutch ain't the only one welcoming economical business refugees accoring to the article:

The number of companies relocating to an EU member state is expected to grow. Both the Institute of Directors and the Confederation of British industry said recently that businesses needed certainty and visibility for investment and could not ride out the political uncertainty.

France has identified 50 companies, including motor and pharmaceutical industries, that it is trying to entice across the Channel.

The BBC is considering setting up an international base in Belgium.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
Update: the ferryless ferry company with pizza delivery terms and conditions and no employees based at a port of no ports has now lost the contract it had. Apparently in spite of due diligence there is no longer any confidence that they can fulfil it.

Govi

feral ballerina
Sep 20, 2018
North of Surf City
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Bartholomew Gallacher:

Really? You selectively quote from a complete idea to make your point? Really?

Here is the actual quote:
The whole democratic theory of people voting in their own self-interest has been shot to hell by the Brexit referendum and Trump's election. The people can be fooled easily and in sufficient numbers that they willingly vote for decisions and persons that will actively harm them. The Germans famously did it, so did the Italians, and most recently, the Russians, the British, and the Americans. The democratic theory has no protection against blatant liars who appeal to the prejudices of the people. Yet, until we think of a better system, it remains better than all the others *when it works.* When it doesn't work, it's no different from the others and the people are consequently screwed.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
Oct 28, 2018
Norway
SL Rez
The whole democratic theory of people voting in their own self-interest has been shot to hell by the Brexit referendum and Trump's election.
I think the answer is that democracy only works if it has some inertia built into it, some mechanisms that limit the long term consequences of rash, thoughtless decisions. Those mechanisms will also slow down positive progress of course but they are neccessary.

Tradition is a very strong such mechanism and all well estabished nation have that one at least but there always quite a few others too.

Luisa Land

Sep 21, 2018
EU.. Germany
The University-Hospital of Düsseldorf, Germany
courts polish nursing staff working in the UK in advertisments in polish-language papers in Great Britain

"Worried about Brexit?
Come to Germany..." Besides the safe haven of an EU-country .......they are promised:.
"Not only do we have the better pay, better social benefits and better working hours, we also have the better weather, the better food and the shorter way to Poland."
lol

Uniklinik Düsseldorf will von Brexit profitieren

But besides this somewhat tragicomic aspect, that the majority of Brits voted against Immigrants from the EU, cause they think, that these foreigners induce a lot of problems in UK,
in fact this decision seems to induce now more problems: than ever. UK is also lacking in qualified personell in some sectors.
So in the competition among the rich countries for these qualified personell UK has created a location disadvantage for itself. I dont see how this is compensated by any advantage the Brexit may create...

But why I write again something to this problem , has not realy something to do with Brexit.
this proseedings, where skilled manpower is distracted from the poorer countries, the countries which have paid for the education of these people to the benefit of the richer countries. This, also called "brain drain" is the underlying tragedy..supporting the international disparity.
Nurses, doctors, engineers are also needed by the countries , which have paid the education of these people.

Sure , I understand every person who wants a better life. and goes abroad. I dont know, but I think, there could be a debate, that these countries (where the educated pple come from) could be supported in other respects.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018
Probably near London or SF
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Will it be feasible to apply, as a UK citizen, for asylum within an EU country, should the Brexit Taliban be successful? Might it even be possible before disaster hits?

I would very, very much prefer not to witness the fallout from within.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
Will it be feasible to apply, as a UK citizen, for asylum within an EU country, should the Brexit Taliban be successful? Might it even be possible before disaster hits?

I would very, very much prefer not to witness the fallout from within.
In order to qualify as a refugee, you need to be able to demonstrate a well-founded fear of persecution. Different countries have different interpretations of this (e.g. does it have to be persecution by the state, or is persecution by non-state actors from which the state is unable or unwilling to protect you a valid reason too?), but that's the basic rule. Simple economic disruption back home isn't sufficient.

If you're a Brit, though, as far as I know, you almost certainly have an automatic right to live and work in the RoI under reciprocal agreements that pre-date either country's membership of the EU (all the way back to Irish independence, I think) and are still in force. Worth taking advice on, if you're seriously concerned.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
Oct 28, 2018
Norway
SL Rez
Update: the ferryless ferry company with pizza delivery terms and conditions and no employees based at a port of no ports has now lost the contract it had. Apparently in spite of due diligence there is no longer any confidence that they can fulfil it.
One interesting detail that surfaced as the result of this, is that Seaborne now seems to have been simply a front for Arklow Shipping, an EU company. That may explain all this strangeness. Seaborne was only a straw company set up to hide the fact that all the ferry contracts went to EU and noen to Britain.

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
A good pizza has pineapple of it's own.

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
Back May’s deal, then hold people’s vote: plan to end Brexit deadlock | The Guardian
Cross-party move likely to be put forward as amendment to EU withdrawal bill.

The amendment would offer all MPs the chance to support, or abstain on, the withdrawal bill and would specify that, if passed, the decision would be implemented on the condition it was put to the public for approval in a second referendum.
If the amendment passed through parliament but the deal was rejected in the subsequent referendum, the UK would stay in the EU under current arrangements.
If, however, the British people confirmed the decision of MPs to leave the EU under the terms of May’s deal, Brexit on these terms would immediately come into effect without any need for it to return to parliament.
Sounds like a sensible plan to me.
So it will most likely go to the nays.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
Oct 28, 2018
Norway
SL Rez
A good pizza has pineapple of it's own.
I'm not going to say whether I agree with you but war has been started for less. ;)

A few random facts though:
  • The pineapple pizza has nothing to do with Hawaii. Pineapple is a South American berry and pineapple pizza is a Canadian invention.
  • Some purists insist that the thin base Neapolitan Margarita is the only true Italian pizza. They are wrong. Italian pizza comes in a wide range of varieties - with thick or thin base and with more different toppings than you can shake a stick at.
  • There's nothing inherently wrong with introducing new exotic ingeredients for the topping. Even the Italians do that.
  • There's nothing inherently wrong with adding sweet/sour fruits or berries to what is basically a meat course.
  • There's nothing inherently wrong using a South American berry for a pizza. The tomato is a South American berry too.
The only real question is does it work? There's only one way to decide:

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Sep 24, 2018
Sep 23, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
As both someone who grew up on british things [the children's fiction was much more to my taste as a child in the 70s, and I watched a lot of british television], and who has learned that not only that I've got Scottish and English ancesters [and dna], but also apparently distant cousins, I'm now following this even more avidly. Both for my distant-ish family, but because my bucket list is going to every place that is prominent in my family tree.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
Back May’s deal, then hold people’s vote: plan to end Brexit deadlock | The Guardian

Sounds like a sensible plan to me.
So it will most likely go to the nays.
I like the plan, since it seems the only viable way of resolving the problem -- parliament can't really decide what it wants, other than to avoid crashing out with no deal, and this is the only way (other than simply withdrawing the A50 notification forthwith) that leads to a settled outcome.

I'm a bit concerned in that trying to get the necessary legislation through parliament to implement the current agreement, subject to ratification by a referendum, is going to very tricky, and the referendum legislation going to be pretty complex, too. The Brexit taliban will be furious, after all, and will doubtless do all they can to hamper the scheme.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Sep 24, 2018
I like the plan, since it seems the only viable way of resolving the problem -- parliament can't really decide what it wants, other than to avoid crashing out with no deal, and this is the only way (other than simply withdrawing the A50 notification forthwith) that leads to a settled outcome.

I'm a bit concerned in that trying to get the necessary legislation through parliament to implement the current agreement, subject to ratification by a referendum, is going to very tricky, and the referendum legislation going to be pretty complex, too. The Brexit taliban will be furious, after all, and will doubtless do all they can to hamper the scheme.
That would create a very strong risk of a split in the Tory party and that is why May would do everything she could to avoid allowing it.

Why the sickly ugly sisters of our politics deserve to suffer the splits | Andrew Rawnsley
Explaining the humiliations and contortions that Theresa May has undergone over the past 32 months, some of her friends report that her overriding objective has been to avoid going down in history as the leader who turned Tory divisions over Europe into a formal split. She is now in the last gasp of her attempts to find a Brexit deal that does not blow up her party.
She'll burn this country to the ground and to hell with the casualties.

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
How can someone seriously think that a political party is more important than the country they say they serve?

And no, I don't expect an answer.
It happens all around the world from time to time. I know.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
That would create a very strong risk of a split in the Tory party and that is why May would do everything she could to avoid allowing it.
Yes, but crashing out without a deal carries an equally strong risk of creating a similar split along pretty much the same faultlines, while at the same time trashing the economy and thus upsetting the Conservatives' main backers, which is something else she would presumably want to do everything she can to avoid.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Sep 19, 2018
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
That ship sailed when they "won" the referendum. The only question now is which rocks she wants to crash on.