Brexit.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If you're going to get your imperial measuring spoons dirty how are you keeping your metric ones clean?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Sid

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Or volume measurements. I can never remember how they relate ... if the tablespoons are all dirty and I need one I am lost. Why can we not just use metric?
We (of course) use the metric system.
But in cooking recipes a table- and teaspoon are used a lot as measure instruments as well. Just like a pinch.
Cooking is no exact science.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Or cleaning the tablespoons might work, too, of course.
Yes but it usually happens when I am cooking. Dirty up some things then when I reach for another spoon it is not there.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If you're going to get your imperial measuring spoons dirty how are you keeping your metric ones clean?
I know how different metric units relate so I can make up the missing spoon if needed. I have no clue how many teaspoons make a tablespoon though so would just be guessing.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
We (of course) use the metric system.
But in cooking recipes a table- and teaspoon are used a lot as measure instruments as well. Just like a pinch.
Cooking is no exact science.
It depends what sort of cooking. If baking bread you have to be VERY exact with many of the ingredients.

Actually, being exact is a habit I picked up in chemistry and the like. Some of the recipes I use have typos I know about. I always use what is written down though.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
It depends what sort of cooking. If baking bread you have to be VERY exact with many of the ingredients.

Actually, being exact is a habit I picked up in chemistry and the like. Some of the recipes I use have typos I know about. I always use what is written down though.
Baking isn't cooking, its baking. Two different, if related, skills.

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes

With baking, a digital kitchen scale comes in handy.
Baking recipes are mostly in grams over here.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Yes but it usually happens when I am cooking. Dirty up some things then when I reach for another spoon it is not there.
I keep a coffee mug filled with a bunch of inexpensive (WalMart) teaspoons, soup spoons, and tablespoons next to the stove. Handy for measuring, scooping (like, "whap", about a half cup of mayo for some dressing, say), stirring, and tasting. I have a couple of cheap forks in there, too.

And of course, simple logic (?) tells you that there are three teaspoons in a tablespoon.

Perhaps more usefully for you, a teaspoon of sugar is pretty close to four grams.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I think that depends on the country you're in.
And whether they're scant, generous or even teaspoonsful.

To my mind, when you're measuring with spoons, it's a general indication of about how much to put in.

If you're worried about precision, cook by weight, but most of the time all measures, weight or volume, in a recipe are more general indications of how much to use than anything else -- after you've cooked the dish a couple of times, you know how much of everything it needs for it to be the way you want it.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
With baking, a digital kitchen scale comes in handy.
Baking recipes are mostly in grams over here.
Unfortunately not here.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I keep a coffee mug filled with a bunch of inexpensive (WalMart) teaspoons, soup spoons, and tablespoons next to the stove. Handy for measuring, scooping (like, "whap", about a half cup of mayo for some dressing, say), stirring, and tasting. I have a couple of cheap forks in there, too.

And of course, simple logic (?) tells you that there are three teaspoons in a tablespoon.

Perhaps more usefully for you, a teaspoon of sugar is pretty close to four grams.
What logic? I do admit my guess was 3 but it could just as easily been 4 as that is how many quarts in a gallon.