Brexit.

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Ha ha ... I meant if other countries can do it why is it suddenly impossible for the uk?
It's not. We did it before, we can do it again. We're just used to being able to travel freely in the EU. The more brexiteers moan about it, the more idiotic they look. I'm practising my "I fucking told you so" smirk daily.

Sid

Most likely on a coffee break.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
All will be easy - peasy...... once out. Right?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
One official who was briefed on the contents of the call between the prime minister and president, which took place on 28 January, told the Financial Times that Mr Trump was “apoplectic” with rage.

Another said the call was “very difficult” and the president’s tone had taken British officials aback.
1) I find it incredible that Trump understands the issue, only that someone told him it was bad.
2) Have those officials been AWOL these last few years?

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
The UK was never part of the Schengen passport free area anyway which means that UK citizens were already always subject to passport controls before, as EU citizens when entering the UK. So "this is what you voted for" is plainly wrong, because even if the UK would be still in the EU things like that could have always happened. I also know people who waited for hours in Heathrow.
AFAIK, there are separate lines for non-EU travellers at airports.

Thing is, the procedures shouldn't change before the transition period is over.

Maybe they just waited in the wrong line because they're idiots?

I really wonder why still so many Brits do think that they should be privileged for cherry picking when clearly they are not. This is why I do not believe in swarm intelligence, but swarm dumbness.
Apparently, you need to beat 19th century national chauvinism out of a country to make it go away.

With a club.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Tirellia

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is interesting -- on The Times' account of it, Johnson seems pretty much to have given up on Trump for the time being:

Sid

Most likely on a coffee break.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
This is interesting -- on The Times' account of it, Johnson seems pretty much to have given up on Trump for the time being:

The only thing the EU really has to do IMHO, is kicking the can down the road, just like the UK has done the last years.
The UK has far more to loose than the EU, whether they are negotiating with the USA or not. Just talk endlesly friendly and emphatic, but don't give in a millimeter.
Let's not forget if there is a no deal situation with the EU at the end of the year, the UK hasn't got much agreements with other countries of the world in place.
It all happens because the agreements the EU has with those countries.

The UK government seems still not to understand in what completely underdog situation they have maneuvered themselves in, not only with the EU, but with all the countries were their treading conditions are still there, only because it is settled under the EU flag. All they have to do is kicking the can down the road as well. End of the year they can negotiate with a by then most likely very desperate UK.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The only thing the EU really has to do IMHO, is kicking the can down the road, just like the UK has done the last years.
The UK has far more to loose than the EU, whether or not they are negotiating with the USA or not. Just talk endlesly friendly and emphatic, but don't give in a millimeter.
Let's not forget if there is a no deal situation with the EU at the end of the year, the UK hasn't got much agreements with other countries of the world in place.
It all happens because the agreements the EU has with those countries.

The UK government seems still not to understand in what completely underdog situation they have maneuvered themselves in, not only with the EU, but with all the countries were their treading conditions are still there, only because it is settled under the EU flag. All they have to do is kicking the can down the road as well. End of the year they can negotiate with a by then most likely very desperate UK.
Yes, and I'm sure that's how it's going to work out.

I'm less sure than are you that the UK government doesn't realise this; to my mind, they do, but don't, at this point, want to re-open the internal fight within the Conservative Party about the UK and the EU, since formal negotiations haven't even started yet, and they have a great deal of very contentious domestic business with which to deal (Huawei and the HS2 Rail scheme, for example) which has been ignored for the last 3 years and now requires urgent attention.

On this reading, they're talking tough at the moment, as much to placate the domestic audience as anything else, while quietly preparing to accept a far more realistic approach in the actual negotiations, and Johnson's apparent disregard for Trump and a quick trade deal with the US (a chimaera, anyway, if not a unicorn) is an indication of that.

We'll just have to see what happens during the course of the year.