Brexit.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yup, coming straight out of an American novel. Hans Brinker; or, the Silver Skates: A Story of Life in Holland by Mary Mapes Dodge
A totally made up story, but good for the tourist industry, so some places even have a statue for 'our hero' Hansje Brinker. :)
(Don't tell anybody please, bad for business).

The dykes ain't made of brick and cement, but they are structures mainly made out of boulders, topped with clay and sand layers, with only a top layer of smaller stones at the sea or river side to break the waves. On the inland side the top layer is often grass.
If water comes out of a dyke. it means that the clay layers inside are totally saturated and water will sip through at dozens of places at the same time and if the water pressure doesn't lower within a few days, the dyke will start to slide and the land will be flooded.
Sort of like Denmark's statue of the little mermaid?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Sorry, but I don't know the story behind that mermaid.
It's surprisingly like the Disney version except Disney left out the horrifying pain of walking on imitation legs (like walking on knives), the Prince marries someone else, and the mermaid dissolves into seafoam when she refuses to kill him.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Sorry, but I don't know the story behind that mermaid.
Totally fictional character who was not even human. Copenhagen wound up putting a statue there as that was the city in the story.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
And then gets turn
It's surprisingly like the Disney version except Disney left out the horrifying pain of walking on imitation legs (like walking on knives), the Prince marries someone else, and the mermaid dissolves into seafoam when she refuses to kill him.
And then gets turned into some sort of spirit/ghost that has like 300 years to earn a soul, or something. I have a copy somewhere, but I always prefered the Ice Queen.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The UK was never part of the Schengen passport free area anyway which means that UK citizens were already always subject to passport controls before, as EU citizens when entering the UK. So "this is what you voted for" is plainly wrong, because even if the UK would be still in the EU things like that could have always happened. I also know people who waited for hours in Heathrow.

I really wonder why still so many Brits do think that they should be privileged for cherry picking when clearly they are not. This is why I do not believe in swarm intelligence, but swarm dumbness.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I was watching a vid yesterday where a brexiter said of course uk musicians needed an exception to the freedom of movement bit so they could do tours. Thereby showing the hypocrisy when pressed on details.

I was wondering how non EU musicians tour.

• 1Thanks

Sid

Most likely on a coffee break.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
They need a working permit and a tax number, I guess.
And dependent on custom agreements between the countries involved, a visa.

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If I was one I wouldn't tour in England. Every now and then you get these stories coming up about some non-UK-EU person getting turned back or temporarily imprisoned at Heathrow or Gatwick because they were doing something that sounded subversively like working on their vacation, like attending a convention as a guest.

• 1Thanks

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was watching a vid yesterday where a brexiter said of course uk musicians needed an exception to the freedom of movement bit so they could do tours. Thereby showing the hypocrisy when pressed on details.

I have seen more problems with shows canceled in the US because of visa problem over the last couple of years.
Harpists, organists, and guitar players have toured the US the last couple of years without much issue other than TSA damaging, sometimes destroying, their instruments. Baggage handlers generally know what they're doing compared to TSA agents that pry instruments apart then pile [some of] the broken pieces into the case along with their fucking little card. Every single British musician that I know or follow voted Remain, preached Remain, begged for Remain.

• 1Sad

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
They need a working permit and a tax number, I guess.
And dependent on custom agreements between the countries involved, a visa.
Ha ha ... I meant if other countries can do it why is it suddenly impossible for the uk?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Harpists, organists, and guitar players have toured the US the last couple of years without much issue other than TSA damaging, sometimes destroying, their instruments. Baggage handlers generally know what they're doing compared to TSA agents that pry instruments apart then pile [some of] the broken pieces into the case along with their fucking little card. Every single British musician that I know or follow voted Remain, preached Remain, begged for Remain.
Ugh ... baggage handling! I was once on a trip and my suitcase was closed using their stupid locks that everyone has the key to. I guess they lost their copy of the key because the lock was unopened and instead a loop on the suitcase zipper for the lock to secure was cut.

• 1Hug