Brexit.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Oh wow. Ridiculous claims to Antarctica that no one cares about.
Maybe but remember, the land size question was just a sideline, this is about empires. You can't have that without emperors of course and Antarctica is pretty much the only place you can find them these days. Yes, they may be penguins but they're emperor penguins!

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
As this is a rolling coverage link I will quote the current title. Remember this is Officially Neutral Corbyn who would hold a referendum (maybe) if he got into power but wouldn't campaign for either side.
Corbyn has always been a supporter of a soft Brexit retaining close ties with the EU, he's always been clear about that. The dilemma he and the many other soft Brexiteers face is that both the Brexit options that still exist are way too extreme for them.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Maybe but remember, the land size question was just a sideline, this is about empires. You can't have that without emperors of course and Antarctica is pretty much the only place you can find them these days. Yes, they may be penguins but they're emperor penguins!
Did you know that the word emperor is derived from the Latin word impurerè? Long extinct, there used to be all black penguins, that swam the Atlantic in Southern Europe. The romans distinguished the black and white penguins we see today from these by noting they were impurerè or impure as they also felt of some of the emperors of the time.

• 1Like
Reactions: Chin Rey

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Did you know that the word emperor is derived from the Latin word impurerè? Long extinct, there used to be all black penguins, that swam the Atlantic in Southern Europe. The romans distinguished the black and white penguins we see today from these by noting they were impurerè or impure as they also felt of some of the emperors of the time.
Interesting but what do you call a pure black emperor penguin? A peror penguin?

Today’s Pic: Rare Black Penguin

Edit: slight mistake. that penguin is just a lowly king, not an (em)peror. This one on the other hand is of the highest rank:
Black emperor penguin discovered; could be the only one in existence

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Corbyn has always been a supporter of a soft Brexit retaining close ties with the EU, he's always been clear about that. The dilemma he and the many other soft Brexiteers face is that both the Brexit options that still exist are way too extreme for them.
In this case, I don't think Corbyn's personal views matter a great deal.

They don't help, of course, but I think the problem really is that many Labour MPs who support Remain (as, of course, do the great majority of Labour MPs) are concerned that if Labour comes out explicitly in favour of Remain, that may well deter sufficient Labour-supporting Leave voters from voting Labour at all (and possibly voting Conservative or Brexit Party) and cost them the seat.

"We will seek to renegotiate the WA into something we can recommend people support, and if we can't, we would recommend cancelling A50 and remaining but, either way, the public will get to vote on it" may not be too persuasive a position, but it seems that sitting Labour MPs in Leave-voting areas (about 60% of current Labour MPs) are sufficiently concerned that they'd rather campaign on that basis than on a straightforward Remain ticket, and they are the people who have to get re-elected, rather than the Conservative or the Brexit candidate, if we're to end up with a government -- either majority Labour or minority Labour with SNP , Lib Dem, PC, Green and independent support -- who can avert no-deal and, it is to be hoped, keep us in the EU.

• 1Thanks

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If you had listened to the song I posted you would know that is the wrong answer.

"We're bigger than Australia and it's a continent".

Australia 2.97 million sq miles.
Canada 3.85 million sq miles.
Australian Antarctic Territory, 5.9 million square kilometers.
Oh wow. Ridiculous claims to Antarctica that no one cares about.
Yes, it's a frozen wasteland, like most of Canada. So?

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Corbyns own position may, or may not, matter. But then we have Labours official position. If it is labours official position.

I think many voters, who are concerned about brexit (pro or anti) will not trust that position. Vote for us and we'll tell you what we think 3 months after we win isn't something thats going to inspire confidence. Their stated aims do not include FOM and on a personal note no FOM means no vote for labour from me.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
You can't claim the entire Antarctic, I already got it, together with the rest of the Milky way in 1960 on my second birthday from my father.
Sid, maybe you don't remember since you were so young but you ate the Milky Way. You can't have the Antarctic.

• 2LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Corbyns own position may, or may not, matter. But then we have Labours official position. If it is labours official position.

I think many voters, who are concerned about brexit (pro or anti) will not trust that position. Vote for us and we'll tell you what we think 3 months after we win isn't something thats going to inspire confidence. Their stated aims do not include FOM and on a personal note no FOM means no vote for labour from me.
I would have to check old documents to be sure, but I think the confusion arises because Labour's Official Position as described by the Leader's office is Labour's Official Position as it is right now.

However, the NEC statement appears to reflect the policy they intend to recommend to the Labour Party Conference when the issue is debated in the next day or so, and what they hope will be the official policy at the end of the week, and certainly when the election is called.

Certainly, the issue isn't what Labour's policy is right now but what Conference think it should be for the election.

ETA: According to The Guardian's rolling reports,
  • Jeremy Corbyn is facing a clash with party members tomorrow over his plan to postpone a vote on what stance the party should adopt in a referendum on Brexit until after the general election. The party’s national executive committee has approved a motion saying this decision must “only” be taken after the proposed Brexit renegotiation. See 4.40pm. But surveys suggest the Labour membership is overwhelming in favour of remain, and at least 80 motions have been submitted saying the party should commit to remain now. Delegates will debate this decision tomorrow afternoon, but whether the conference ends up taking a firm decision, or settling on a compromise, may depend on the wording of the composite motion that is being drafted in a private meeting this evening.
Since I can conceive of no circumstances in which Corbyn (or anyone else who lacks the power to work miracles) could persuade the EU27 to agree to Red Unicorns for the Many, I think the question of which side Labour would back in any referendum is pretty academic.

Rather, the argument is about what Labour's position should be going into the General Election, bearing in mind that, in order for there to be any chance of averting Brexit, someone other than the Conservatives or the Brexit Party has to win in those 140-odd Labour-held seats that voted Leave in 2015, and in most of those seats, the only other candidate with a chance will be the Labour one.

So it's primarily a decision about electoral strategy rather than anything else.

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
In 1998 an extension to the Antarctic treaty was signed which bans mining indefinitely. Aside that, the ice is around 2500 m thick in average. That would still be a problem plus the long transport routes aside the harsh climate.

The area where a new ressource race is happening right now is the Arctic.

• 1Agree

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I claim the entire Antarctic for myself. Does that make it so? I don't think so.
Claims in the Antarctic are strange. For one they overlap. For another there is a large area that is not claimed yet.

• 1Like

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Back in the good old days we owned Manhattan. Brittania ruled the waves, when the Dutch were not around. :giggle:

• 2Beer
Reactions: Govi and Tirellia