WTF Border patrol Facebook group smears Latinx pols, jokes about migrant deaths, and more

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Given Trump's current level of historical knowledge and that no one close to him dares disagree...

...any further discussion of history would only give him ideas. He IS cruel enough to make what's happened so far look like a teddy bear picnic or a failed Love Parade, given the means.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We must face the evils of today, and not those of the past: for history does not repeat itself but it does rhyme. Now then what are the next steps?

We must face the evils of today, and not those of the past: for history does not repeat itself but it does rhyme. Now then what are the next steps?
It would help if more than 56% of the population voted.

U.S. trails most developed countries in voter turnout

I know that some people feel like their vote doesn't count. I've felt that many times here in Florida where gerrymandering has all but silenced the voice of the majority of people in South Florida. But it's something we can't give up. We must go to the polls and vote. If we can, we must run for office, particularly small stuff like school boards and city council. We are going to have to fight them (I have no doubt now) and if we let them take away our voice we can't do it.

Volunteer, take pictures on the street. They hate seeing their bad actions being broadcast. Every damn time I see the cops show up I get out my iPhone. Every damn time I record them. Watch and record and publish. Believe me when I tell you that more people care about how we are treating immigrants than don't. It's just that hatred screams very loudly. Look at the hatred on the faces of those screaming at the Trump rallies. They do it there because they bolster each others hatred.

Don't ever condone it by sticking around for it.

Decency and caring for the human condition are quieter but actionable.

What is happening on our border is overwhelming to the average person. People who want to help aren't sure what to do. All I can say is start at home. Reach out to people you know who have immigrated (legally or illegally) do what you can to help. Smile at them in the store or on the street, be kind. If they are being charged more for groceries give the cashier your loyalty card and tell her to use it for them. If they are being discriminated against by a business or by a coworker or anyone and you see it speak up. Don't patronize people or places who condone treating anyone badly because of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or immigration status. It's not much, I know, but it's all I'm able to do until I retire.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

The article goes on to describe several credible allegations of serious crimes against minors and conditions of general squalor, maltreatment and neglect that would certainly attract the concerned attention of both law enforcement and child protection agencies if they were said to have taken place in a private home or compound.

Who protects the interests of children in these detention camps and who supervises those supposedly caring for them?

Last edited:

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

The article goes on to describe several credible allegations of serious crimes against minors and conditions of general squalor, maltreatment and neglect that would certainly attract the concerned attention of both law enforcement and child protection agencies if they concerned incidents in a private home or compound.

Who protects the interests of children in these detention camps and who supervises those supposedly caring for them?
Not even members of Congress can visit these camps without being treated badly, so - no one is putting a check on these conditions.

The Executive branch is starting to behave like a dictatorship.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Democracy is talking itself to death. The people do not know what they want; they do not know what is the best for them. There is too much foolishness, too much lost motion. I have stopped the talk and the nonsense. I am a man of action. Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day.
-- Benito Mussolini, 1928.

Time to prove him wrong.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Sid and Brenda Archer

Tigar

🐯 De Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts

The article goes on to describe several credible allegations of serious crimes against minors and conditions of general squalor, maltreatment and neglect that would certainly attract the concerned attention of both law enforcement and child protection agencies if they were said to have taken place in a private home or compound.

Quis Custodiet Ipso Custodes

“Who watches the watchmen”?

If they don’t, then no one does.

And that leaves it up to the people.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The problem is, unlike in a civilized society, this administration has shown a willingness to just flat out ignore things that you would not think they had a choice in: congressional oversight, subpoenas, even supreme court orders. Just take a 'minor' example, taking a cue from donnie's life as a 'businessman' they have millions of dollars spent with no intent on reimbursement.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
In the past children were only separated if it was in the best interest of the child - a history of violence or sexual assault in the case of their guardian, for example. Now they are separating them even if they are accompanied by a non-parental family member - aunt, brother, etc - or if the adult has ANY criminal history, such as 10 year old convictions for drunk driving, shoplifting, any minor offense.

Don't remember the source (something on public radio) but it should be easily researched.

I wonder how many of those involved will develop PTSD :(

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
Oh, and Carla Provost, the one who claimed the facebook group was so far beyond the expected standards of CBP?

She was in the group.

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The problem is, unlike in a civilized society, this administration has shown a willingness to just flat out ignore things that you would not think they had a choice in: congressional oversight, subpoenas, even supreme court orders. Just take a 'minor' example, taking a cue from donnie's life as a 'businessman' they have millions of dollars spent with no intent on reimbursement.
Here, if a government department refuses to comply with court orders, the court always has the option -- which I've seen used -- of issuing a direction to the relevant minister either to provide proof, by a particular date, that he or she has complied with the instruction or to attend in person on that date to explain to the court why the order has been ignored.

I've never seen the next step taken, issuing a warrant ordering that the minister be arrested and brought before the court to explain his or her non-compliance, since simply warning the minister that any further refusal to cooperate will result in his or her highly public arrest has always worked.

Romana

Oh, and Carla Provost, the one who claimed the facebook group was so far beyond the expected standards of CBP?

She was in the group.
I don't know anything about her or her reasons for joining, but I do have friends that joined hateful groups just to get the evidence to report them. So I'll reserve judgement there.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Here, if a government department refuses to comply with court orders, the court always has the option -- which I've seen used -- of issuing a direction to the relevant minister either to provide proof, by a particular date, that he or she has complied with the instruction or to attend in person on that date to explain to the court why the order has been ignored.

I've never seen the next step taken, issuing a warrant ordering that the minister be arrested and brought before the court to explain his or her non-compliance, since simply warning the minister that any further refusal to cooperate will result in his or her highly public arrest has always worked.
We have already blown through that first step here. Congress and courts have said to do something by a certain date and donnie has flat out refused to do so (he even has standing orders for 'his people' not to cooperate). In theory what congress/courts should be doing as the next step is having a warrant issued for his arrest (congress even has a jail) like a common criminal but they refuse to do that for some reason.

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
I don't know anything about her or her reasons for joining, but I do have friends that joined hateful groups just to get the evidence to report them. So I'll reserve judgement there.
Fair enough, but even allowing for this possibility, that leaves only a couple of possible interpretations.
Either:
She was in the group because she was fine with it.
Or:
She was in the group to find out about it and it didn't get shut down or any staff disciplined so she's still fine with it.

• 1Agree

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
"The Stench Was Horrendous": Pence Visited A Border Patrol Station Packed With Hundreds Of Immigrants In Cages

Vice President Mike Pence visited an over-crowded and foul-smelling border facility in south Texas on Friday packed with nearly 400 immigrant men held in sweltering cages without mats or pillows where some said they had been detained for more than 40 days.
The men, held in "sweltering hot" conditions at the McAllen Border Patrol station, told reporters they were hungry and wanted to brush their teeth, according to the White House press pool which visited the facility with the vice president. "The stench was horrendous," a reporter said, and some of the border officers guarding the cages were seen wearing face masks. The temperature in McAllen, Texas, hit 99 degrees on Friday, with a heat index above 110 degrees.
One man near the front of the fence told reporters repeatedly, “Cuarenta dias, cuarenta dias” or “40 days” in Spanish. He held his hands in front of him putting four fingers up in one hand and making a zero with the other to make sure his message got across.
“No shower, no shower,” someone else could be heard shouting.
Yet another could be heard saying, “No agua,” or “No water” in Spanish.
The cages were so crowded that it was not possible for all the men to lie down at the same time, the pool reporter said. "There were no mats of pillows — some of the men were sleeping on concrete," he said.
“I was not surprised by what I saw,” Pence said. “I knew we’d see a system that was overwhelmed.”
“Our Border Patrol people are not hospital workers, doctors or nurses,” Trump said in a series of tweets blaming Democrats for the conditions. “Many of these illegals aliens are living far better now than where they came from, and in far safer conditions.”
Your policy is creating this humanitarian crisis, you piece of shit. Again, we are responsible for their welfare the second you decide to cage them.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows