Boot from disc

Robert Jung

I found an old XP disc in a box!

The Win OS in my old pc os hopelrssly borked and I was going to get a new one but havent been able to do that yet. (using my wife's tablet). If I can boot from an XP disc I will get a new HD snd load Umbunto on it.

So far Ive not been sble to boot from disc. Ive triedd going into settings but could't find the boot from disc option. I also tried to open in bios before Win takrs over by clicking f12 or Esc (HP). without joy.

Help please.
-thanks

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Try pressing F9 before boot to get the Boot Device Options menu.

• 1Like
Reactions: Robert Jung
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I found an old XP disc in a box!

The Win OS in my old pc os hopelrssly borked and I was going to get a new one but havent been able to do that yet. (using my wife's tablet). If I can boot from an XP disc I will get a new HD snd load Umbunto on it.

So far Ive not been sble to boot from disc. Ive triedd going into settings but could't find the boot from disc option. I also tried to open in bios before Win takrs over by clicking f12 or Esc (HP). without joy.

Help please.
-thanks
I don't understand. You don't need an XP disc to install Ubuntu. You boot from a bootable Ubuntu disc to install it. You likely need to press the right key at startup to get into your bios to make sure it says to boot from the dvd first. The key varies by manufacturer. Some are listed here. How to Enter the BIOS on Any PC: Access Keys by Manufacturer

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Robert Jung

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I don't understand. You don't need an XP disc to install Ubuntu. You boot from a bootable Ubuntu disc to install it. You likely need to press the right key at startup to get into your bios to make sure it says to boot from the dvd first. The key varies by manufacturer. Some are listed here. How to Enter the BIOS on Any PC: Access Keys by Manufacturer
If you can boot with the XP disc, you can run disk check to see if the HDD is the problem before you download a new OS install disc.

Robert Jung

Trying the XP disk is just an exeriment to see if it's worth it tosearch for an Umbuntu disk!

I've tried f9 f10 11 12 & esc. Sadly they just bring up s blank screen .

i found a.site that suggested opening Settings to get to a boot option menu but I got lost in. the menu :)

Robert Jung

I atempted to get into the Settings menu to give that route another try but it froze up. It behaves differently each time. Sometimes it doesn't boot, sometimes boots then goes blank, sometimes boots and then freezes.

i'd like to avold Windows attempting to boot altogether and start from BIOS, but I haven't been able to bring it up. So far, instead of going into BIOS, it goes to a blank screen.

I'll try it again, and this time, I'll leave the blank screen up for a half-hour and see if it does anything.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
You can install a bootable version of Knoppix on a thumb drive. It'll mount the NTFS and FAT32 file systems so you can access the files.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sounds like your ROM circuitry might be defective.

Robert Jung

GETTING THERE!

I pressed Esc and got the boot menu! I selected HP CD DVD, Enter. The computer then ignored the disk, booted up Windows 10, and froze. 😉

I've been at this for two hours (today), and finally made a little progress. I think it's time to take a break.

Robert Jung

Starting from Windows 10 Settings, I got to the point where it said, "click any key to boot from cd". It ran thru a bunch of files, and then brought up a page that says:I

check for viruses
remove any newly installed hard drives or controllers
check your hd configuration
run CHKDSK /F
then restart your computer

tech info:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Try reseating the RAM. Replace it if that doesn’t work and you can find suitable modules. This is beginning to read like a memory error issue.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If there are two RAM modules remove one and boot. If it crashes swap them out to test the other one.

Robert Jung

First I'll tell you what's happening now...

-I reseated the DRAM.

-The monitor is not receiving a signal

-I can't remove the CD because when I open the CD drawer it closes before I can take the CD out. 😉

Robert Jung

Summary:

-The computer is filled with every piece of malware ever devised by anyone. This includes the WIN Installer attempting to install an update to something that no longer exists. This resulted in avery, very slow computer which was almost impossible to use.

-On the old SLU I asked questions about new hard drives, cleaning, getting a new replacement copy of WIN10, and many other questions.

-I got confused and gave up.

-Then it wouldn't let me log in. See "Can't log into Windows" in this forum back in February, 2019.

-I've been borrowing my wife's tablet ever since.

-I was getting ready to buy a new (used) computer when I found an XP disk in the closet. I thought if I could boot from disk, it would be worthwhile to convert the computer to Ubuntu.

-I turned the old computer on, and this time it allowed me to log in to Desktop, but no further.

-i was able to get into BIOS to boot from disk, but I got a weird error message.

-Now the computer is not communicating with the monitor, and the CD drawer won't stay open long enough for me to pull the CD out.

So what do you think? Time to give up and buy a new used computer?

Thanks

Last edited:

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
CD/DVD drives typically have a small hole in front you can stick a straightened paper clip, or other stiff wire, through to make the drawer open enough you can pull it the rest the way open to rescue your disk.

I'd say that even at minimum wage the time you've put into this computer would get you a fairly decent used machine off of eBay.

• 1Like
Reactions: Robert Jung