Books you are obsessed with while being somewhat embarrassed/confused by your obsession

Arilynn

Kind of specific, right?

But I am obsessed with the Red Rising trilogy. I have read it maybe 7 times and am rereading it again so I can start book 4. And that’s weird for me.

I’m not a huge science fiction/fantasy fan. (Example: I am not sure where the line is between these two categories.) I generally dislike books that fans adore, such as
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Whatever, everything by the guy who wrote Player Piano or a book with a really similar title, The Lion Witch Wardrobe books, Ender’s Game, pretty much anything with magic in it, and A Canticle for Somebody
. Most sci fi/fantasy I don’t get far into before I close them out. Also, I can see the flaws in this trilogy. I could make a long list.

It doesn’t matter, however, as I love it so much that I turn to it when I need reading that I can wholly sink into, away from RL for a while.

To broaden out from my thread title, anyone else have a literary confession?

You can tell all here. No one will know. I am pretty sure.

:angel:

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree. I've lost count of how many times I've read this romance novel. I tell myself I'll just take a quick look at my favorites scenes, but no, I end up reading the whole thing again because it's all my favorite scenes.

There's something about the central plot and the tension that surrounds the main character that I just can't resist. It's a first-person narrative that shamelessly tricks the reader, but I forgive Stewart because it's just so delicious.

• 2Like
Reactions: Archer and Arilynn

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I have not read any Pratchett. I am familiar with a lot of Pratchett. Because Pratchett has no fans. Pratchett has a cult of evangelists and when you say you haven't read any Pratchett they will not shut up.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I enjoyed the first two of the Red Rising Trilogy. I can understand what you mean that it has its flaws but it being still good. I think I'll have to reread it before going ahead with the rest as I've forgotten the details.

Obsession I'm a tad embarrassed about? Pride and Prejudice. Good god, I don't know how many times I've read that one and how many times I've seen the last mini-series and movie. 😔

*me rings the bell*
Shame!
Shame!
Shame!

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I have not read any Pratchett. I am familiar with a lot of Pratchett. Because Pratchett has no fans. Pratchett has a cult of evangelists and when you say you haven't read any Pratchett they will not shut up.
So in other words, they are fanatics?

I do know what you mean and I have seen other authors having their fanatics too.

I always keep in mind the various stages authors can go through from inexperienced, a wordsmith, to rehashing the same plot.
Sometimes the middle is left out.
As for trilogies... sometimes the end should be left out.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
For me it's "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. When I read that book I became thoroughly immersed in it. I could feel the cold & all the hardships the men faced as well as the supernatural aspects of that book. Since then I've become obsessed with reading more on Arctic expeditions (the Antarctic isn't the same & doesn't do it for me). I've also been reading other Dan Simmons books but no others have come to the level of "The Terror". Yes, I watched the mini-series of it on tv too - twice!

I'm gonna put the Red Rising Trilogy on my Read Soon list. :)

Oh I tried to read "Snow Crash" bye Neal Stephensen that so many here recommended & I hated it!. I couldn't even finish it tho I tried picking it up again several times. It has all the elements that seem like I'd enjoy it & I can't even pinpoint what I didn't like about it but I found it boring & disjointed. Maybe I'll try again later this year. haha

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
That does sound good :)

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
Get it Orin! It's definitely a hefty book (900+ pages) but it's so engrossing that it goes fast. One of my favorite books & no doubt I'll read it again. :)

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Hm. That's difficult because I'm not really -that- obsessed with anything, and I'm not really confused about why I like or dislike stuff.

But I suppose the nearest answer would have to be the "Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Super Villian" series by Richard M Roberts.

ranner

I have been reading David Foster Wallace's The Pale King; just began this Monday in fact. But it is quite daunting--the book is easy to follow and makes for a rewarding read, but every now and again I just can't stand it when DFW talks about the IRS, finance, and economics. The book is deeply rich; one doesn't need to understand all of this to find it rewarding, but I am not one of those people, unfortunately. I hunted for a glossary-like textbook to keep by my side while reading The Pale King. Ended up with the 8th Ed of Gregory Mankiw's Principles of Economics. I've been chiding myself for not knowing enough and for being obsessed with having to know every last detail at the same time. I've been reading PoE more than I've been reading The Pale King.

Same thing happened when I read Thomas Pynchon's V and Gravity's Rainbow (I didn't finish this one :D)

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I have been reading David Foster Wallace's The Pale King; just began this Monday in fact. But it is quite daunting--the book is easy to follow and makes for a rewarding read, but every now and again I just can't stand it when DFW talks about the IRS, finance, and economics. The book is deeply rich; one doesn't need to understand all of this to find it rewarding, but I am not one of those people, unfortunately. I hunted for a glossary-like textbook to keep by my side while reading The Pale King. Ended up with the 8th Ed of Gregory Mankiw's Principles of Economics. I've been chiding myself for not knowing enough and for being obsessed with having to know every last detail at the same time. I've been reading PoE more than I've been reading The Pale King.

Same thing happened when I read Thomas Pynchon's V and Gravity's Rainbow (I didn't finish this one :D)
Now I would like to read it, thank you. It sounds interesting!

• 1Like
Reactions: ranner

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Wotcha, no Pratchett?? You really should read some Pratchett.

We should discuss this.