Bolton is out

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Safer until Trump appoints someone else. If anyone can find a worse national security advisor than Bolton, it will be Trump.
Canadian, also disbanded.
I suspect they woulda been pretty awesome at the job tho, early Ayn Rand tendencies aside....
Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
than the pride that divides
when a colorful rag is unfurled

(edited to show context :p)

Last edited:
  • 1lolwut?
  • 1Yay!
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Tigar, Cristalle and Govi

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
But in Trumpworld nobody walks out on Trump, they're only ever "fired", so per SOP as soon as a resignation hits his desk Trump has to get out in front of it by claiming he demanded it and badmouthing whomever is leaving on their way out.
:qft:

I believe Bolton's version that he offered his resignation and Trump replied "Let's talk about this tomorrow." That was a deliberate stalling tactic so Trump could fire him first.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Trump abruptly fired Bolton via tweet on Tuesday. He said he will name a new national security adviser next week.
Well yeah, it's not like national security is a priority or anything.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
BTW, CNN is reporting that "sources familiar with the incident" are saying that Bolton and Trump had a screaming match last night over Trump having invited Taliban leadership not just into the United States to negotiate with them, but to Camp David of all places, and it was at the end of that argument that Bolton volunteered his resignation.

I hate using these words together in this sentence, but: Bolton was right to be upset about Trump inviting the Taliban. Though I hasten to add I'm not particularly sorry to see him quit; Bolton has some of the vilest imaginable foreign policy positions and it's good for the country that he's not in a position of influence anymore.

All that aside, this is a really insane situation. I'm still not 100% convinced that the Camp David Taliban talks were ever going to happen; but if they were, the fact that Bolton had a shouting match with Trump over it last night, well after Trump had announced the talks were permanently off, suggests to me that the country's National Security Adviser, and by extension the NSC, was never consulted or made aware that the leadership of a terrorist organization had been invited by the president for what amounts to a state visit, and Trump's "cancellation" tweet caught them completely by surprise.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
BOLTON A "MAN OF THE LEFT" OMG MY BRAIN JUST WENT AWAY
If you think about for a moment, it might be possible for a right wing hawk to go so far to the right as to end up on the left. It's the nature of a circle (jerk-off).

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
I'm actually marveling at which of Bolton's suggestions Trump could have possibly disagreed with!
Objectively? Probably actually pretty much all suggestions to start a realy war with the everything. Because Bolton was all about that; Attack! War! Send drones! Bomb 'em! Go troops!

Trump on the other hand is all about *pressure*, and mostly economic more so than militaristic to get 'deals', all the while without actually taking things to an actual military escalation.
Bolton literally was too much of an actual I-want-to-go-there warmonger for how Trump does things.
A kind of morbid silver lining.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
And this was well known about Bolton long before he was joined the administration, so just another sign of Trump's dysfunctional approach to staffing his WH.
Trump saw him on Fox New Channel, liked what he said about...something or other...and hired him. That's all it takes.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Why are all these 'hawks' cowards ? Non of them seem to have any actual experience of war - as in Trump's 'bone-spurs', and Bolton is no better :-
Bolton was a supporter of the Vietnam War, but purposely avoided military service in Vietnam
Yes, indeed. It's been fashionable for some time for these chickenhawks to promote war while they ran from it. Somehow, they keep getting away with it, even as they proclaim that they "support the troops", yet do the exact opposite. It's almost as if there is big money to be made from war, regardless of consequence whether it be monetary or in blood. They have no comprehension of the sacrifice in blood, sweat and tears because they used their money (usually money) to avoid having to see it or be part of it.