Blender news

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
According to the report, at the peak of the attack the Blender website was receiving 100,000 requests per second, sustained. I know Blender is popular, but it's not like, THAT popular. :D

Plus there was evidently some clear response activity by the botnet to mitigation attempts, like IP range shifting. The DDOS-blocking service they finally ended up hiring graphed the traffic and it definitely wasn't organic:

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Plus there was evidently some clear response activity by the botnet to mitigation attempts, like IP range shifting. The DDOS-blocking service they finally ended up hiring graphed the traffic and it definitely wasn't organic
I tried my best. :hellokitty:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Blender 4.2 is going to have a big change that might confuse you if you don't see it coming, so here it is: what are currently known as Addons are becoming Extensions, and they don't be installed by default.

Up to now, Blender ships with a big package of like a couple hundred addons, accessible in the Preferences window. A few of these are enabled by default - like the Cycles rendering engine (yes, it's technically an addon!) and the scripts that enable you to export a .blend as like an FBX file for example - but most are not. You have to go into Preferences and enable the ones you want. There's some that practically everyone I know who uses Blender will have enabled, like Node Wrangler, F2, maybe LoopTools, and so on. But by far you're probably not enabling most of them because they're things that you in particular just don't need (or maybe just don't know about).

Well anyways, that's changing. Now they're called Extensions; and only the ones that up til now have been enabled by default are going to be included with Blender anymore - actually, those particular addons, like Cycles, are finally being actually integrated into Blender directly. But for all the others, rather than including the whole kit and caboodle with every Blender download, "Extensions" will now be hosted in an online repository; when you search for them in the Extensions tab, you'll basically download and install only the ones you specifically choose.

Functionally once you've downloaded the extension and enabled it, there won't be any difference to how you use them in Blender. Just be aware that you'll be downloading and installing them one by one rather than just switching them on. For purists, there WILL be a bulk download available so that you can install the whole lot if you really want to.

• 1Useful
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Knutz Scorpio